Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Sorce's Backlog: The Next Time Around

The driving in NFS Heat is SO MUCH WORSE than Horizon 4.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

So on medium difficulty in NFS Heat, I struggled to get 3rd place in races; I get third place if I'm perfect. "But Sorce," you say. "Just bump it down to easy difficulty, then." I have, and then I win races by a (literal) mile; if it's a circuit, I tend to lap every other car except second place.

This is... frustrating.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

(02-24-2021, 09:01 AM)Sorce Wrote: So on medium difficulty in NFS Heat, I struggled to get 3rd place in races; I get third place if I'm perfect. "But Sorce," you say. "Just bump it down to easy difficulty, then." I have, and then I win races by a (literal) mile; if it's a circuit, I tend to lap every other car except second place.

This is... frustrating.

The imbalance is real
Chrono
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3.60GHz (9x400MHz)
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004 Heart
Sephiroth - Rog Strix Hero III G731GU
[Image: g1glk1-6.png]

I can play Forza Horizon 4 in 4k now, my life is complete.

Aaaand the devkit mode for the Series S and X supports UWP. Which means I can run RetroArch on xbox hardware, legitimately.

Also it means that Microsoft is doing more about backwards compatibility for Playstation games than Sony is. LULZ.

That's pretty sweet. I have a PS4 pro and a One X, so 4k is already a possibility, but i don't think it'll allow me to run RetroArch
Chrono

There's a good chance you can, all you need is to unlock Dev Kit mode on your One X. There's an app on Microsoft Store to do it, and to register with MS for development is $19.

(03-17-2021, 08:53 PM)Sorce Wrote: There's a good chance you can, all you need is to unlock Dev Kit mode on your One X. There's an app on Microsoft Store to do it, and to register with MS for development is $19.

good to know. I may just try it.
Chrono

Oh look, here's a guide by Microsoft on how to enable it.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Solid 7.5 out of 10. Maybe 8 on a good day.

The twins are lovable meatheads, which considering their father, makes sense. They are both in over their heads, but they've got power suits, big guns, and a whooooole lot of gumption. Basically the story is that B.J. disappeared one day, and the twins are out to find him. The trail takes them to Neu-Paris (where the entirety of the gameplay is) and the Resistance there, led by a woman named JuJu. She says that she saw their father before they got there, but didn't know where he was currently. Coincidentally, the Nazis have three fuck-off computers that have the information that could maybe help them and definitely help the Resistance. So the girls are on their way to kill Nazis and hack computers with their sister-from-another-mister Abby, who's also all grown up from the baby she was in W2.

The gameplay is fantastic, even if it's just a single player with the AI, the graphics are good and chunky, and the twins are never hilarious but always entertaining. Also the people behind the game are clearly having a blast writing all the lore for the world they've created (personal favorite: the Herr Bears. That's exactly what you think it is.)

So if all of this stuff is great, why the 7.5-8? Well, there are a couple of complaints with it. One, the game doesn't have a map. Like, there's a minimap, and icons to tell you where you need to go for a goal/treasure or whatnot, but there isn't an 'overworld' map of the whole area you can pull up. You only get the minimap and your own sense of direction to navigate. On the upside, there is a "immediately return to base" button you can hit, but wandering around just takes way longer than it should. Or at least it does for me.

The second is the ratio. There are 7 main story missions, and 25 side-missions. The last two story missions are basically endgame, but the game itself doesn't tell you that. After you're done with the third server, the second you get back to home base, the endgame starts and you can't do anything but that. Like say, turn in the handful of side-missions you also did on the way to the third server. You'll need to beat the main story, then it'll let you turn that stuff in when you get back to home base.

Also an amusing thing is that the girls can dual-wield like their father, but only the pistol and submachine gun. Heh.

Outriders
This is the best game I can absolutely not recommend to anyone.

The graphics are okay, the story is good, the gameplay is... fun-ish... so what's the problem? The game has bugs and glitches that should absolutely not have made it to launch. It's not Cyberpunk bad, and hilariously most of the issues are related to MP, but oh boy when you hit one it hits like a truck. Like the (since patched) bug that made people lose their entire inventory. Or the (not patched yet) bug that somehow has one character over-write another. Or sometimes you're just a hat. Or you can't log in.

There's also genuine gameplay issues. Like despite looking like (and trying to act like) a cover shooter, it is 100% not a cover shooter. 3 of the 4 classes are close-to-medium range damage dealers. And when I say 'close', I mean 'punching distance'. And there are no health packs on the field, or much in the way of regen, you have to be in close proximity to the enemy you kill to get refunded some health. It's also not one of those "Games as a Service" games, but you always have to be online and connected to their servers otherwise you can't play. You also can't pause the game, like Destiny or The Division, or other games that ARE "Games as a Service". At least Borderlands, who also needs a network connection, allows you to pause in single player. And finally there are the difficulty spikes. Holy shit the difficulty spikes. It's like a wall literally jumps out in front of you and says NO, like it's Dikembe Mutombo. So you have to go back to the drawing board as far as skills, points and gear, to try and figure out a given fight.

As a side note, resetting skill points is a free action. You can do it as often and vigorously as you like, with no cost. So that's nice.

The story... is a lot like a Grimdark Andromeda. It's not necessarily better, but clearly both sets of writers had the same bottle of scotch. You play as [INSERT NAME HERE], a member of the Outriders, a team put together to scout ahead on a new world, to make sure it's suitable for the rest of humanity to land and start over. This is where things promptly go to shit, much like finding Habitat-7 on Andromeda. You're searching for a way to possibly fix what's going on, but in the mean time, you almost (or maybe you do) die, and then gain one of four sets of super powers. Also everyone could not possibly give a shit about any one else at any given time. So don't catch feelings, because they won't either.

So why do I love it so much? Because between the story and the gameplay, when it works... it is damn near perfect. But you have to realize that "when" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in the previous sentence. Give it 6 months, hopefully not a year, and then grab the fixed version and go to town on everything.

Playing RE7.... that Mia's a real firecracker.

Need for Speed Heat
I'd love to say that this is the best NFS game ever, or at least in a long time, but I haven't played any since the not-quite-remake of Most Wanted back in 2016. And that was a game from 2012. My entire experience with "modern" Need for Speed are the two Undergrounds, both Most Wanteds, and Carbon.

That said, this game is fairly enjoyable. The driving is kinda trash (compared to say... Forza Horizon and maybe The Crew), and the vehicle scores don't mean anything, and the story is pretty generic, but it still somehow all gels and you have a fairly good time. The stuff from previous games is still there like the vehicle visual customization, licensed music, and night-time illegal street racing and running from the cops. Plus the setting is Not-Miami, and I'm always interested in my hometown when it's in a game, especially if it's a racing game. Even when it's clearly a fictional version because South Florida has never had mountains in it's entire existence.

Also there are nods to previous games in the franchise, specifically the aforementioned Undergrounds, Most Wanted, and NFS Payback in the form of winnable cars that indicate this game is in the same universe as those 4. So that's neat.

So yeah, it's a fun game that takes a minute to learn how to play, and enjoyable when you get there. But don't forget to bump the difficulty down if you're having trouble too.

For me there will be nothing better than Underground / NFS:U2
Chrono

I can't help myself, even if they make me run as a Paladin.

[Image: 7G1h6Qs.png]

Re-programmable controller buttons on NFS Heat would be a nice touch. Especially since the e-brake button in Horizon is the Nitro button here.

"Just need to slow dow.... aw fuck there's the ocean."

(I played/beat the game on PC originally, and used the keyboard.)

So, I found a game. A visual novel, specifically. And it's actually kind of good?

It's called City of Broken Dreamers, and yeah, it's got a lot of shall we say "adult content". The fun thing is though, is that all that stuff is (I'm pretty sure) entirely optional. Which means you can say no to all the ladies who are tossing woo at you, and it is hilarious to see the reactions. The story itself is good, basically you're a merc in a cyberpunk-flavored world hired to find a girl and bring her to a corp for treatment of her life-altering affliction. It's not nearly that simple, or that easy though. There's a variety of characters you meet, talk to, hate, love, or whatever, and there's a bit of RPG in there as well, as choices you make change the way characters see you the further you get in the game. Friends can become enemies, and/or enemies become lovers. Plus sex robots, because it's cyberpunk.

The only real issue I had was that the game itself isn't complete yet, it's released in chapters, and the final one isn't out. Also I have no idea how many chapters the game will have, so the last one could be next or a few years down the road.

Also there's a dude from Vermont that's nicknamed Tex and he hates it very, very much.

Twelve Minutes
It's a top-down puzzle game where you, the protagonist, have 12 minutes to figure out why the hell a cop bursts into the apartment you and your wife live in and causes everyone to.... have a bad day. There is a time loop mechanic of course, so this is definitely something where failing is the way forward, until you figure out what's actually going on and can successfully break the loop. Also there's multiple endings, and they're not all good.

It's also not really a great game. Like, it was enjoyable up until the end, and then not only did they not stick the landing, but they hit the ground, kept rolling, and went off a cliff. I'd say it's probably worth playing, maybe, but since it's on Game Pass, play it through that, and don't actually buy it.

edit: I see it currently costs $25 on Steam. Yeah, skip it. If you do want to buy it, wait until it's like... under $10.

edit2: Naah, just skip it.

Adding Dead Island: Epidemic because SOMEONE decided I wasn't killing enough zombies in my day to day life.

edit: The servers shut down 6 years ago. Okay then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I guess I'm gonna do one of dem dere gaming backlog threads... TheGeekRedneck 59 79,828 12-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: ToddSut
  The Backlog: Sorce's Edition Sorce 219 231,045 01-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Sorce