Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Sorce's Backlog: The Next Time Around

Battlefield 3
I'm not much interested in MP unless it's PvE and not PvP, so this game is mostly a miss for me. That said, I did play the SP story and it was alright. Standard action movie stuff with more focus on the military aspect (because, duh) and you got to play as different people in the story and see what they contributed, while showcasing a variety of gameplay modes/styles. Obviously reminiscent of Medal of Honor since that's the Grand-daddy of all of these types of games (but Battlefield specifically). That aspect was fun since I did get to run around with a shotgun and kill bad guys, or fly a plane and kill bad guys, or drive tanks to blow up bad guys, and even snipe a few times for shits and giggles.

The one real problem I have with the game is the game's process itself, where apparently launching the game doesn't actually launch the game. It launches your default internet browser instead, and from there you launch the game. I could see that as something for the MP part of the game, but for SP? Fuck no.

As far as picking it up, it should be damn near free at this point, since it's at least 2 games back in the franchise, but unless you're big into PvP Multiplayer, it's probably worth skipping.

edit: It's also worth mentioning that according to Origin I've got 5 hours clocked in (and I've finished the SP portion) on the game, and all of the achievements are MP-related.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
Well, this game is "free forever" on Origin this month, so I grabbed it being a fan of both the Need for Speed franchise in general, and a big fan of the original Most Wanted. What I ended up getting out of the deal was... not what I had hoped. There are good and bad aspects to the game, which I'll go in to now.

First, the bad. It takes the original Most Wanted, and straight up rips the single player story out of it. There is a single player aspect to the game, but there's not really anything that you could call a story. There is progression, but no people to tie you into the game. Everything is built towards generic ranking up, and multiplayer. Also, the AI can be pretty bad. And not bad in that "oh ha ha they're inept" kind of way, but the "FUCK YOU, THE PLAYER" kind of way. Rubberbanding happens, cops and fellow racers being vehicular snipers happen, seemingly "cheating" random spawns happen, that sort of thing. Every race does have a little cutscene before it, but like I said, there's no story to it. What instead is either shots of the location, or some crazy-ass Pink Floyd inspired intro with crazy colors, stunts or camera effects. Thankfully those are skippable. And an odd decision, there's no manual transmission in the game; everything's an auto.

So now that the bad is out of the way, time for the good. It's still a decent arcade racer; the cars all handle and react differently, so you need to learn how they work in order to do the best with them. There is a variety of car types to bolster this, as well as around 60 cars or so to run. There's a few different kind of races, enough to keep you satisfied, as well as challenges around the city involving billboards, gates, and speed cameras. The cars themselves also have the ability to earn/unlock better and different parts (that can be changed on the fly!) for the races. Autolog is present again which is okay, since using it is a better alternative to live online MP (imo) and comparing stats with your friends, or just seeing their record on a billboard or speed camera is pretty neat. It should also be mentioned that while the Top 10 racer/cars in the city are locked behind races, all of the other cars (DLC aside) are available from the start, you just have to find where they're parked and then swap into them. And lastly, the music is inoffensive, if forgettable. The only real track I can recall is a remix of Teenage Wasteland, but that's only because it's a remix of Teenage Wasteland. The rest is some kind of similarly-themed electronic or techno-flavored stuff.

Overall it's not a bad game, but I don't think I'd pay $60 for it (since, well, I didn't). If you don't get it while it's free, then waiting until it's on sale would be my recommendation. Of course, all the DLC will still cost money, but that'd be up to you if you want to plunk the cash down.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
Yeah, this is a thing. An unnecessary thing, but a thing nonetheless.

This is the story of how Handsome Jack rose to wield the power (and become the villain) he is in Borderlands 2. Except the framework for the game's story happens after Borderlands 2 so you can't just play this between BL1 and BL2. In fact, there's a whole timeline now, which I will now show you.

Borderlands 1 (and all DLC)
Borderlands 2 (and all DLC)
Tales from the Borderlands Episodes 1-3
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! (and all DLC)
Tales from the Borderlands Episodes 4-5

The redeeming fact being that most of the time, you're gonna have a lot of bullet-infused fun.

Anyway, back to The Pre-Sequel. It's not a bad game, mechanically almost a carbon copy of BL2. The main difference is this: Oz kits. They're your Oxygen kits for the parts of the game without an atmosphere (like the surface of Elpis) but they also allow usage as a thruster to enhance your jumping, or other non-walking actions. Of course, if you're in a spot where there is no natural Oxygen and you use up your Oz kit's container, you start suffocating because you can't breathe. The natural solution to this is threefold, so it's not as big of a deal as you might think it is. Enemies drop Oxygen, there's natural Oxygen vents, and even Oxygen pumps you can stand next to. Also you don't lose Oxygen when you're driving a vehicle, and in Claptrap's case, he doesn't need to breathe in the first place. Oz kits also give bonuses to various things, so in that regard they're like a second Class Mod/COM if you're familiar with the other games. Oz kits aren't character specific like those are however, so anyone can equip any kit.

Anyway, on to the actual story. It wasn't bad, but since we largely know how it ends going into it (based on playing Borderlands 2), this was more for some of the lore to flesh out the world itself. We learn how Threshers get to Pandora, or a bit more of the Vault Hunters' backstories, or what Brick's thoughts on Jump Pads are. The game is largely solid, but it hasn't set my world on fire like the previous games did. A lot thunder was stolen by making this a prequel since in development, the story had to go in a certain direction whether it was a natural jump or not. The ending(s) absolutely got undercut by the existence of Borderlands 2, but of course this game wouldn't exist if Borderlands 2 never came out in the first place. It's a Catch-22, if I'm using that correctly.

Anyway, it's serviceable, way more fun in co-op/with friends, and if you can pick it up with the Season Pass for under $20, a good deal. 3 tofu blocks out of 5.

edit: There's also laser guns which are neat (or at least neat-adjacent) and Cryo replaces Slag as your damage buffer.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! (Season Pass)
There's 4 pieces of DLC included in this, but most of it is immaterial. I say this because the DLC is 2 more Vault Hunters, a Holodome (horde mode arena) and one actual bit of story DLC. As I haven't played them, I will be leaving the characters out of this. I've heard they're pretty broken (in a good way) though, so there's that.

The Holodome Onslaught
Like I said, it's a horde mode arena where you run around and shoot stuff and see how long you last, with prizes for finishing it. Ostensibly it's Athena telling her story to Gaige and Axton (VHs from Borderlands 2), but like I said, it's arena fighting.

Claptastic Voyage
This is the one piece of story DLC, and it's not bad. You have to go inside Claptrap's brain in order to get a key for Jack so he can unlock all the secret tech that Hyperion is working on and so he can truly run the company. The players get to observe and interact with Claptrap's memories of places like Fyrestone and Overlook, as well as the recorded thoughts of previous characters and Vault Hunters. There's also 5H4D0W-TP, but that particular reveal should probably be saved for when/if you play the game. Oh, and the final boss fight is an unmitigated pile of bullshit.

Don't pay full price for this, but I've seen it go on sale for 50% off, so start there maybe? It's weird that the base game has had a price drop (it's $40 now instead of $60, less when on sale) but the DLC pack hasn't.

Just updated my Backloggery page, and I'm back to under 50% completion. 103 games unfinished, 72 games beaten, 40 completed.

Whoops, I was wrong.

109 games unfinished (34 unplayed!), 74 games beaten, 40 completed. I forgot some games I'd added on Origin, and didn't realize there was a Mobile section.

edit: Also updated the first couple of posts to reflect what I've purchased and whatnot.

Sure, why not.

The Crew

Basically a single-player MMO with RPG elements racing game. The story is a revenge tale (plus undercover cops), and entertaining enough, with the kind of acting you'd expect. Except there's an actual protagonist instead of Player Avatar, which means there's actual conversations instead of everyone monologuing at you.

And to answer your question, you absolutely can play and beat this game solo, if that's your prerogative. However, the game does encourage everything to be done via multiplayer (aka your Crew) because everything is better with friends. Never Drive Alone and all that. The downside of all that is that the game needs a persistent internet connection and will straight up not work if one is not present. Or an update b0rks their servers or something. Both of which have happened to me, sometimes at inopportune times.

As far as the RPG elements, all that really means is you level up, and there's points. As of right now the player character level cap is 50 (increased to 60 in the upcoming DLC), with each level giving you 1 point to spend on a plethora of skills available to you. Some improve your car's abilities, some give you economic benefits, some help you navigate the world better. You can also reset your points at any time in case you want to change how they're distributed. the player character isn't all that can level up, though. In addition to the 50 levels for the driver, the parts you can purchase or win for your car(s) go from 1-50. There's different levels within that as well, following the standard Bronze-Silver-Gold-Platinum scheme. So you might have a Lv. 25 Platinum ECU, but it's beat out by a Lv. 40 Bronze ECU. The secondary layer to all that is some parts also grant bonuses to things like acceleration, or tire grip, things like that. Those are also separate from the level of the part. The third thing is what I call the "iLevel" (to borrow a word from FFXIV). The iLevel applies to a car in general, and is the culmination of all the parts that have been acquired for it. It's not a straight Lv. 50 ECU = +50 iLevel, but it is another set of numbers that can be kept track of. The current cap for that is 1299, which is attained by having all Lv. 50 Platinum parts AND having points in the requisite skills from levelling up the player. And yes, having something that awesome does include grinding for "gear", because it's an MMO and that's how that sort of thing works. Platinum parts only start to show up after you hit Lv. 50 as the player.

The cars are varied and plentiful as well. Each car you purchase can be used many different styles (not all have the proper variants) for different kinds of races. There's the Fullstock, which doesn't have Nitro and can't be modded for performance, it's the "base car" when you first purchase it. After that, you can choose to take that car to a Tuner, and see what kind of automotive monstrosity you can turn it into. Will you make it a trail runner? A street-legal race car? Give it huge tires/suspension and run it like a baja racer? Turn it into a Circuit Race Queen? Or just drop your wallet on the table and go full Monster Truck? And those aren't even all the options. (Also some options are DLC, so beware of that.) And there's motorcycles too, in case you're curious. And supposedly the upcoming DLC will be adding a couple of cars in the "Police vehicle" flavor.

Of course, since this does have a multi-player component, there's also PvP and Factions you can join. PvP is pretty straight-forward, you go to that specific area and race against other people (either solo or in a Crew). Factions are a group you belong to and have a rank in, which can improve if you run missions for that Faction to increase their standing in comparison to the other Factions in the game. There's five of those total, one for every area, and you can join whichever you wish, and can change whenever you wish. Increasing standing means more cash for you, more point bonuses, that sort of thing.

All of that said, the game is pretty friggin' fun. There's a wealth of cars to drive, different ways to drive them, and enough different events to keep your attention outside of the main story. The grind can be annoying, but you can get some badass parts to make badass rides, so it's up to you if you think the payoff is worth it.

Batman: Arkham Knight
More of the same, really. This is not an inherently bad thing mind you, because I enjoyed the hell out of Asylum and City. It's kind of actually less annoying insofar as the Riddler stuff isn't nearly as numerous (243 Trophies/Riddles/Activities v. 440 in City). The story itself is also pretty good, since everyone loves Scarecrow and an excuse to somehow include all the major Bat-villains somehow.

Of course, there's one notable absence because at the end of the last game

[spoiler]Batman killed The Joker[/spoiler]

but even that is handled pretty well in-game for the sequel. Even the 'new' villain, who shares their name with the title, the Arkham Knight isn't too bad all things considered. There was really only two problems I had with the game and only one worth detailing. The other is whether or not the game runs. It ran for me, it doesn't for others. If it runs for you, so be it; if it doesn't, it works great on console, is what I'm saying.

No, the actual issue I have is with the game's over-dependence on Batman's ride, the Bat-Tank. It's called the Batmobile, but the damn thing is a tank, so that's what I'm calling it. Riddler forces Batman to use it for his stuff, Arkham Knight forces Batman to use it for his stuff, but it handles like a drunken rhino, and it's really just easier to grapple (x5 speed boost this go-round) and glide across the city. Also the Arkham Knight's reveal is supposed to be a big deal, and I suppose it is, but anyone who's familiar with the comics will know who it is by the time that happens. It may even actually end up being spoiled for you if you can complete a certain batch of Riddler stuff beforehand.

The sidemissions are mostly entertaining, especially if you have the expansion stuff, which fills in the gaps as far as "missing Bat-villains" goes.

Anyway, the game is fine to good, but not great. Now on to the DLC!

The Batgirl DLC is pretty much the only real good one. The rest are decent to mediocre, with more of the latter than the former. None of them are very long, comprising 1 or 2 sneaking areas, then a full-on boss fight and that's about it. You do get to play as a variety of characters, which is new. Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and Red Hood round out the protagonists, and they all have their own pros and cons for their abilities. These missions are also not in the main game, and listed underneath 'Arkham Episodes', meant to be played after you beat the base game.

(Though Batgirl's and Harley's technically are before, timeline-wise.)

I grabbed this for ~$10, and I think it was money well-spent, so if you can find the whole shebang for that or less, I'd say bite. If it's more (like, under $20), I'd consider how much of a Bat-fan you are, and how much of a completionist you are. If it's more than $20, pass on it. And hard.

It's probably about that time.

Mass Effect: Andromeda
Unlike Arkham Knight, this is not more of the same. It's both less and more simultaneously though, which makes for an interesting experience. But let me get this out of the way first.

The (technically) second planet you encounter is way more of a pain in the ass than it should have ever been. Just... fuckin' hell. Back to the review.

You play as one of the Ryder Twins, whose father dragged them 600 years in the future and the next galaxy over from the Milky Way, Andromeda. Specifically, you end up in the Heleus Cluster aboard the Humanity Ark, the Hyperion. Right from the get-go though, you find out how accurate the 'cluster' part of Heleus Cluster is, because almost nothing goes right for the Ark you're on, and the landing party you're a part of to find a place to call home.

That said, I'm not entirely sure we got the game that was promised in those trailers. What we got was not bad, however. Ryder, as a Pathfinder, had to find a new home for the Humans (~20k) that came over on the Hyperion, as well as finding the other Arks of other species that attempted the jump at the same time. The game succeeded at that, no problem. Most of the game proper is Ryder finding planets,  making them viable for supporting life, and plunking down colonies for people to live in. Also meeting the local aliens and attempting to make friends, because it's always better to be nice to the people you have to live next door to. The real issue that comes up is of course that bumps up against the other plot going in the game, where a certain alien race is trying to do something similar (but in an evil way). So then obviously everyone must kung fu fight. This is where the story drags a bit for me, because it felt like the people behind the game were trying to get a Main Big Plot going, but there wasn't enough there to make the main villain a real threat. Plus he looked like a Funko Pop Doll, so that was distracting as heck. This is also a franchise that prides itself on the protagonist being able to make choices that affect the world they inhabit. This is not an inherently bad thing, because it's something that we do in our daily lives, so why not in our fiction? Everyone likes the Choose Your Own Adventure books, right? The thing is that the choices that Ryder faces in Andromeda aren't really choices that they should be making, or are even qualified to make. I should be clear though, this is not all of their choices, and these choices are clearly setting up a larger world in the frame of "sequels please", but a couple seem a bit off.

The bright spot in this game is the single-player gameplay. Everything "feels" pretty good, from guns to powers. I had some issues regarding cover and medi-gel, but once I got past those I was golden. The... removal? dissolution? re-jiggering? of the game's character classes opened up the battlefield in interesting ways. Your active powers are down to 3 (from Shepard's ~8), but you can have 4 different layouts, that can be swapped to on the fly. Now there's a cooldown whenever you swap, but the fact that you can combine active powers from what would be trees that had never interacted previously makes up for it. Like combining the ability to freeze an enemy, with the ability to become invisible, with the ability to throw yourself at an enemy like a cannonball.

"So if the game's story is okay, and the gameplay is pretty neat, why did you say the game was less than what came before?" Because there's a But. And it's kind of a heavy But. And a multi-pronged But. First, I'll go back to what I mentioned earlier and say that the second (technically) planet you land on is just a slog. It's where you have to adjust to the gameplay, the missions are kind of bad, and you're kind of underleveled for the whole thing. Also it takes a very long time to actually get off that planet to forward the story.

The second prong is that there are missions that are untrackable. All of these missions are side-quests, which makes them eminently skippable, but if you're a completionist, you're probably going to have a bad time. See, they'll show up in your quest log, but they rely on random spawns to complete, so you can be wandering around a given planet for a couple of hours trying to complete it. Now, there's something to be said for exploring a planet, but on the off chance that's done already, or that you can't find the thing you're looking for because you haven't explored the planet (and have a rough idea of where things could be), again, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

Lastly, the glitches. Oh gosh the glitches. Bioware has been diligent in trying to quash these errors, but there are many. They are legion, but not to be confused with Legion. This also doesn't mean Bioware is in the same spot WB was in with the launch of Arkham Asylum on PC. The game is playable, even at launch, but death from a thousand cuts is still death, even if it's just in immersion. A couple of side-missions are glitched too though, so getting a 100% completion is virtually (if not actually) impossible.

So end result? It's a 6/10 game (reaching for a 7, though. Reaching hard.)

No, I'm not going to be talking about the multi-player. I'm only talking about parts of the game that consistently work.

Resident Evil 6
Yeah, it's pretty good. Video-gamey as fuck, too.

(I had a pretty long post here, but I accidentally hit the 'back' button and lost the entire thing. And I have no desire to re-write it.)

Sorce Wrote:Resident Evil 6
Yeah, it's pretty good. Video-gamey as fuck, too.

(I had a pretty long post here, but I accidentally hit the 'back' button and lost the entire thing. And I have no desire to re-write it.)

This is why I'm working on moving to new forum software.... most of the new packages auto save a draft every few minutes of typing. :lol:

Life is Strange
I bought this during the Steam Summer Sale in 2016, because I'd heard it was good even though it's one of those QTE everywhere/Telltale-type games. I wasn't too keen on playing an 18yo High School Senior, even if she had awesome time-rewinding powers. But everyone I'd talked to had nothing but positive things to say about the game, so I grabbed it.

Fast forward a year later, and I actually installed and started playing it. Oops.

This game is fantastic. It's not perfect, but it is fantastic. You start the game as Max Caulfield, a semi-recent transfer to Blackwell Academy, a school in the town her family moved away from 5 years ago. So things are vaguely familiar to her, but also not, since 5 years is a long time for a teenager. Of course, idyllic small-town life wouldn't be much fun if there wasn't something to do, so the game provides you with a gigantic-fucking-tornado that will destroy the town in a few days, and no real way (that Max knows of) to stop it. But I digress.

The actual meat of the story is through a series of events, Max stumbles upon her best friend from childhood, Chloe Price. The two then hatch a plan (well, mostly Chloe) to find Chloe's missing friend, who no one in the town seems to care is actually missing. Even if she was practically The Best Girl/Student/Friend ever. Enter the ability to rewind time a bit, and you spend your days chasing down clues, saving people's lives (without them knowing, because rewind) getting bloody noses, and finding out What Is Really Going On.

This is a game that prides itself on choices and choosing, and boy does that come up. A lot. Vigorously and often, one might say. Everything from possibly stopping a bully, to maybe erasing a website that hurts a friend off a mirror, and how often you water the plant in your dorm room.

Like I said, the game is fantastic, and even manages to execute a genre-shift late in the story that totally fucking works even if it felt like it came out of nowhere. I would stop just short in saying that it's my (retroactive) GOTY 2015 though, but not because of any kind of particular failing in the game. That just also happens to be the same year that Tales From the Borderlands came out.

So yeah, ya'll need to pick this game up. Like, hella quick.

Less than half the games I own were bought through Steam, even though almost all the games I own are on Steam.

Yay for off-site sales, I guess.

2013 is the single largest percentage of "year the games I own actually came out" with 12.25%. That's 25 games out of the 204 I own (no DLC). There are 4 years total that either meet or cross that fabled '20 games' tier though; the other three are 2009 (20), 2011 (23), and 2012 (22). With their powers combined, that's 44.12% of my collection. The next highest is 14 in 2008, so those 4 years really stick out. I've also seemingly purchased at least one game from every year since 1998. No idea how long the actual streak for purchasing games has been, but that's been yearly at least since 2009.

Of course, figuring out all this means I can do both "GOTY for the year it came out" and "GOTY for the year I actually got it out of my backlog", so huzzah for that.

Shadow Warrior
I'd like to say I enjoyed this, but that can only happen if my keyboard is allowed to work properly with the game, which it was not.

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior
Amusing idea, didn't care much for it in reality.

The Division
It's an open world Shoot 'n Loot like your Borderlandses, or really any game where you kill stuff on the chance to get better stuff than what you have currently. The backdrop this time is good ol' NYC, where there was a viral outbreak and it's your job to make sure the city has working power, filtered water, and prep for a cure. But really you just shoot everyone (ideally) faster and harder than they're shooting you, and then you win the day.

As an aside, everything is a bullet sponge except for you. You're a bullet magnet, even when you're vastly overleveled. Fun! Except not always.

There's a co-op function as well, so you can team up with the dudes/ladies on your friendslist, (or just in-game) to run the missions/encounters that you or they want to run. From what I've seen, there is no real level cap either, though the story missions end at Lv.30. I've seen people in the 300s though, and that's probably because of The Dark Zone. That's the section of the map where all the really good loot is, and also where Friendly Fire is turned off so the aforementioned friends can kill you and take your stuff. Or you can do it to them. It's fun for the whole family!

TL;DR
-Meh, unless you really like killing people and taking their stuff, just for the fun of it.

Sorce Wrote:Shadow Warrior
I'd like to say I enjoyed this, but that can only happen if my keyboard is allowed to work properly with the game, which it was not.

I really want to play this one eventually, if anything because in one of the trailers they used the "You've got the touch" song from TransFormers: The Movie.  Big Grin   I just thought that trailer was brilliantly done.  :lol:

That song is Lo Wang's "Get Hype!" song in the game's Prologue. He listens to it full-blast on his way to make a deal.

It's amusing that the games I've got the most time into (on Steam) are Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect, Killing Floor, and Borderlands. Those five are the only ones with over 100 hours on that particular platform. The only other two games that fall under that umbrella anywhere else is over on Origin, and it's Mass Effect: Andromeda and Mass Effect 3.

I mean, it makes sense, since Mass Effect and Borderlands are my two favorite franchises, with Killing Floor being a fun time-killer in that "co-op versus super-powered zombies" kind of way.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
It's pretty dumb, but worse yet, it's not "my" kind of dumb. So basically the duration I played it I was either irritated or bored. Then I stopped playing, and came back the next day... to find that my save was gone. Re-started and played a bit more, left and came back later... and again my save was gone.

Fuck this game.

Bejeweled 3
I mean, it's Bejeweled; there's not much to say here. Match three jewels, until you can't match any more. And do it as fast as possible (unless you pick the mode without a time limit). It can be fun, but it's not my thing. I'd rather toss my phone at a wall after a rousing game of Super Hexagon.

Command & Conquer: Generals
Nooooooope.

Man, I'm burning through these this morning.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Didn't work.

Looks like I can't play the DLC for Dragon Age II because the location it starts at isn't available post-game. So I'd need to either use an earlier save or start all over. Something I'm really not in the mood for at the moment. Whoops!

Decided to jump back into Mass Effect: Andromeda for one last ride. Playing as Scott Ryder (Infiltrator) instead of Sara Ryder (Vanguard) though, to see how they're different. Well, other than the options for Investigate, ifyouknowwhatimean.

Also to see what level I can max out at, because this will undoubtedly be a completionist run.

I think that I'm going to have to start up a "Nope" section. For the games that didn't work when I tried to run them, or they're outside my preferred game-types, and that sort of thing. A lot of those games have been coming up lately, and it's kind of weird to have a one word review on stuff, or to just mention a game purely because it's broken.

Bangarang.

Dust: An Elysian Tail
A fun-ish side-scroller where you play as an amnesiac fox that somehow has a talking sword that enables you to do ridiculous fighting combos to save the land from some sort of evil. I'm not entirely sure why I stopped playing it, the game probably just got lost in the shuffle of a whole bunch of other stuff I was doing (edit) all the FFXIV I was ass-deep in at the time. The game (what I played) wasn't great, but it definitely wasn't a waste of the time that I'd put into it. I'll probably pick it back up at some point, but not today.

PAYDAY: The Heist
Co-op game where you have to rob a place. It's pretty neat, with each player having a specific job... but not something that should be played in single- player. Which is what I did. Whoops. A good amount of customization, multiple classes you can play as, and it's kind of neat to play as a villain (of a sort) for once.

Thomas Was Alone
You will feel emotions for simple geometric shapes. Simple side-scrolling jumping puzzle using the aforementioned shapes, with each shape having one kind of "ability" that can be used in the map. Didn't really do anything for me, but I chalk that up to being the kind of game I'm not really into, not because I thought it was bad.

Organized my games on my actual Steam account, separated the games I've played from the ones I haven't. I then further organized those into the ones I've beaten, the ones I haven't played but are remasters, ones that are MP-only, and that sort of thing. It makes my backlog a lot less intimidating if I'm staring at ~20 games instead of ~200.

Symphony
This game raids your music collection and makes game levels accordingly. The levels it makes are kind of like Asteroids, except things shoot back at you, all while the song you picked plays in the background. There's leaderboards and each song can upgrade your ship in some way, so as to encourage you do play everything, and it's otherwise the same kind of simple game that's fun in bits and pieces.

Long Live the Queen

First, the trailer.

This game is a rogue-like, where you die, and die, and die again, teaching you how to live in the process. The goal of the game is to get Princess Elodie to her Coronation as Queen, but there are a lot of things blocking your path including foul magic, traitorous Royals, bandits, war, wild animals, and all that delicious delicious (poison) chocolate. All of the game is making choices, there is no action on the first/third-person, top-down, or side-scrolling front. That said, the game is really fun, and even being incompetent can get you pretty far in the game (though not far enough, obviously). My most recent playthrough got me to Week 23 out of 40, and I failed skill checks throughout like it was my job. And then I died in a fit of hilarious first aid; tried to pull an arrow through since it wouldn't come out in reverse, it punctured every internal organ it came across.

I once watched a stream where the person playing went to the Royal Ball by tripping down the stairs; when the question of her competence came up by another Royal, she single-handedly talked the Duke down from his position, got the others to support her, and threw him in the dungeon for talk of a coup. It was hilarious.

I myself have never beaten the game, but it is enjoyable to keep trying, and maybe one day I too, will make it to Coronation.

Hell Yeah!
Seems like a fun game, but I wouldn't know, because sometimes the controls work (sort of), but most of the time they don't. Not sure if this is me-centric (since this isn't the first game to have this issue), but for now, it's going in the Nope pile.

Looks like I'm down to 15 games unplayed, not including ports/remasters of older games that got re-issued.

[Image: kXQsMvB.jpg]

Decided to jump into the remaster of BioShock, because none of the games left on my backlog are appealing to me right now. Also they added achievements, and so my compulsive desire to fill bars as been inflamed.

Apparently BioShock Remastered has crafting?

Is that new? I think that's new. I don't remember that from the first time around.

Sorce Wrote:Apparently BioShock Remastered has crafting?

Is that new? I think that's new. I don't remember that from the first time around.

Sounds new to me too. Interesting.
Emerald: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite, 64GB Corsair DDR4, Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 XTREME 8G, 1TB Corsair Force MP600, 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 1TB Crucial MX300, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Fractal Design Define 7, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W

Fighting the end boss on Survival difficulty?

Can't say I recommend it.

BioShock Remastered
I mean, it's the same fuckin' game as the last go-around, except with better textures and also there's Achievements now. Maybe added crafting, I dunno. I liked that the Little Sisters didn't look like gremlins anymore, but this run-through didn't shed any new light on anything really, other than maybe a bit more thought about Sander Cohen and Fort Frolic (link).

It's still System Shock 2 with a different art palette (plus a BD/LS dynamic) and most of the accents were not that great. I realize I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm not a huge fan of the game (and never have been, look it up) and playing the Remaster didn't change that.

I suppose I should segue into playing the remaster of BioShock 2 (my uncontested favorite of the trilogy), but I did a replay of the original about a year ago, so it's still pretty fresh in my mind. The Remaster doesn't really add much to the equation, so it'll be on hold for a while.

So it's been three years, which was the cut-off point of the last thread. I don't think I'm going to do that this time around, since there's a third of the pages used, and I'm not powering through games like I did in the previous iteration. Seems self-aggrandizing (if I'm using that correctly) to do so. I will however, post some stats related to where I'm at currently in case anyone's interested.

Total Games: 206
Games Played, but Unfinished: 40
Games Unplayed: 17

8% Unplayed I think is pretty good (but also not good), all things considered, and the 40 or so that are Unfinished will more than likely stay that way because that includes games I didn't like for whatever reason. And life is too short to play bad games. Probably.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
DO WHAT YOU WANT 'CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE.

I never got into the Assassin's Creed games for one reason or another, but Ubisoft put this one up for free on Uplay, and I love some free pirate booty.

This game is fuckin' fun as hell. It's less "holy shit a war between Assassins and Templars" and more "holy shit this dude is a badass pirate and fell ass-backwards into being an Assassin." Yes, there is a story there, but for the most part it's Edward Kenway being a pirate and doing piratey things like raiding ships, blowing up forts, and getting his men to sing sea shanties while they sail all over the Caribbean. It's a collect-athon, like most/all Ubisoft games are, but when I get to use a goddamned pirate ship to get there, that takes a bit of the sting out of it. Also, the ship is customizable, you can raise your own fleet, and even go harpooning for very large sea creatures if you're so inclined.

And while I don't have much to say about the story at this point, that's more because I have not gotten very far into it (I think), and can't really vouch for that. What I have played has been enjoyable, especially since parts of it are historically accurate (like the hurricane you have to sail through in the beginning) as well as the cast of characters you get to interact with like Blackbeard and Benjamin Hornigold. I get the feeling that Edward's pirate antics are going to come to a head in the late-game though, based on the fact that people are starting to call him on his bullshit re: Being an Assassin, and the fact that one of the plot threads is a "we need to kill all the pirates" kind of thing by the governments (The British and Spanish Monarchies) in power.

So yeah, unless this game totally shits the bed at the end, I'm gonna go ahead and say everyone should pick this one up.

Not even going to spoiler tag this, because it'd have to be almost the whole thing. Probably. So consider this your warning, if you care about that sort of thing.

Spec Ops: The Line
This is a short game. ~7 hours for the entire story (as well as playing through the multiple endings) and grabbing all the collectibles. Gameplay is kind of crappy, and the AI is... well, just bump it down to the lowest difficulty (unless you need those cheevos) and go ham. It's a generic third-person shooter with regenerating health and kind of a shortage of ammo. Well, right up until it isn't, I suppose.

And it isn't... well, there's breadcrumbs along the way that you can miss, but the hammer doesn't really come out until the end, which is where it decidedly drops on your face. It's a nice hammer, really high quality wood handle, and just a block of the nicest heavy alloy you can get.

I liked the way they handled said hammer drop as well, unfortunately the gameplay is just that atrocious. Like, there was a scene early on where you have to use White Phosphorus and the fallout of that scene is supposed to be horrific (because that stuff is straight up horrific) and all I could feel was relieved that I didn't have to be engaged in a gun battle anymore. This is not the way to do things.

I liked the ending though, because while it is decidedly not a happy ending, (and there are multiple endings, so choose your own adventure!) it fits the tone of the game and feels earned instead of say, a Deus Ex Machina out of nowhere. I'd recommend the game, but maybe put aside some time to sit and think about it afterwards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I guess I'm gonna do one of dem dere gaming backlog threads... TheGeekRedneck 59 79,827 12-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: ToddSut
  The Backlog: Sorce's Edition Sorce 219 231,045 01-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Sorce