Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Sorce's Backlog: The Next Time Around

Here's the latest attempt at slaying the monster known as Backlog.

The Games I've Finished
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC
->The Legacy of the First Blade
->Secrets of Greece
->The Fate of Atlantis
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 3
Bejeweled 3
BioShock 2 Remastered
BioShock 2 Remastered DLC
->Minerva's Den
BioShock Infinite DLC
->Burial at Sea: Part One
->Burial at Sea: Part Two
Bleed
Borderlands GOTY Enhanced
Borderlands 2 DLC
->Headhunter Packs (1-5)
->Commander Lilith and the Fight for Sanctuary
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! DLC
->Season Pass
Borderlands 3
Borderlands 3 DLC
->Moxxi's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot
->Guns, Love, and Tentacles
->Bounty of Blood
Braid
Crysis 2: Maximum Edition
Dead Effect
Dead Space 3 DLC
->Awakened
Destiny 2 (Part One)
Destiny 2 (Part Two)
DOOM (2016)
Dragon Age 2 DLC
->Legacy
DuckTales: Remastered
Duke Nukem Forever SP DLC
->The Doctor Who Cloned Me
Dust: An Elysian Tale
Escape Goat
Final Fantasy XIV
Firewatch
Gone Home
Hotline: Miami
Life is Strange
Long Live The Queen
Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition DLC
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Medal of Honor
Metro: Last Light
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
PAYDAY: The Heist
Poker Night at the Inventory 2
Prey
Remember Me
Resident Evil 6
Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration
Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration DLC
->Endurance Mode
->Cold Darkness Awakened
Saints Row IV 
Saints Row IV (Part Two)
Saints Row IV SP DLC
->Enter The Dominatrix
->How the Saints Saved Christmas
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell
Spec Ops: The Line
Tales From The Borderlands
The Crew
The Division
Tomb Raider SP DLC
->Tomb of the Unknown Adventurer
The Long Dark
Wolfenstein 3D
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Nooope. - the games that are outside "my" genres, don't work, or are just straight up bad. Some will be linked with an explanation, some won't.
Alan Wake: American Nightmare
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit
BioShock Remastered
BioShock 2 DLC
->The Protector Trials
BioShock 2 Remastered DLC
->The Protector Trials
BioShock Infinite DLC
->Clash in the Clouds
Command and Conquer: Generals
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising
Darksiders Warmastered Edition
Dex
DiRT 3 Complete Edition
DiRT Showdown
Doom 3 DLC
->Resurrection of Evil
Dream Pinball 3D
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
For Honor
FTL: Faster Than Light
Fowl Space
Golden Axe
Hatoful Boyfriend
Hell Yeah!
Her Story
Jet Set Radio
Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Out There Somewhere
PAYDAY 2
Peggle
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Requiem
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria II: A Puzzle of Flesh
Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Retro/Grade
Saints Row 2
Shadow Warrior
Shadowrun Returns
STAR WARS Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Stick It To The Man!
Super House of Dead Ninjas
The Sims 2
The Sims 3
Symphony
System Shock: Enhanced Edition
Thomas Was Alone
Ticket to Ride
TrackMania2 Stadium
Trine 2
Ultima VII: The Complete Edition
Universe Sandbox
Unreal Gold
Viscera Cleanup: Shadow Warrior
Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom
The Witcher Enhanced Edition
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition

What's Left
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed III - Remastered
Child of Light
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Resident Evil 2 (2019)
Steep
Tacoma
The Turing Test

What's Left of the DLC
AC III DLC
-Liberation
Borderlands 3 DLC
-DLC4 (Currently Unreleased)
Dragon Age 2 DLC
-The Exiled Prince

Follow me as I attempt to kill these games, or (more likely) they kill me. Alternately, if you want to see how truly large the mountain is, head on over to my page on Backloggery.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

And because I think this time they deserve their own post, the Wishlist.

Want, but Don't Have
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Assassin's Creed: Rogue
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
DOOM Eternal
Gods & Monsters
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition
Metro: Exodus
Need For Speed: Heat
P.A.M.E.L.A.
Resident Evil 3 (2020)
Trepang2
Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Want, but Don't Have: DLC
Prey DLC
-Mooncrash

It's significantly shorter this time around as well, and let's hope it stays that way. Tongue
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea, Part One
I liked seeing Rapture before it fell, though that part was all too brief. The rest is basically the player knowing what happens in BI, and waiting for the echo to re-assert itself here. That, uh.. doesn't happen. At least, not in the way you'd think. It's... well... kind of a big pile of whatthehell? at the end. I'm hoping Part Two clears things up a bit more, but man, the fucking leash is off this series. And I'm not sure it's in a good way.

DuckTales: Remastered
I never played the original back on the NES. Most of the "Disney Afternoon" games passed me by; the only one I actually managed to get my adolescent hands on was Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers. So playing this game was less about rekindling my childhood, and more about seeing if the game itself was any good.

What this iteration had going for it was that it was a "shot for shot" remake of the original, all the items would be in the same places, all the maps were the same, enemies, that sort of thing. What was added was updated graphics reminiscent of the cartoon, as well as spoken dialog from the original cartoon's castmembers, and both a tutorial and new final level. The new version also bothered with adding a story to the game, giving actual reasons why Scrooge would be in the various levels and how connected they are with one another and other side characters (and villains). And there's Achievements now, because why not.

Anyway, the game is a pretty straightforward side-scrolling platformer where you generally Never Stop Pogoing Ever (except the last level), and it's pretty fun. There definitely was some nostalgia there hearing the voices from the cartoon, but Scrooge was the one doing most of the talking, so if he wasn't your favorite character, then you didn't get much. Regardless though, I enjoyed playing it (unless I was getting frustrated with something specific like the endgame boss), but I think it works in limited doses better than trying to barrel through the game in one fell swoop.

So yeah, pick it up if you haven't yet, and if you have, play it already. And ignore the Achievements, those are silly.

Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition DLC
This was pretty straight-forward; it's a prequel mission in the past where you play as Dosan. If you've played the main game, you're familiar with who Dosan is, if not, he's the ninja that gives the Protagonist his tattoos throughout the game. In this mission, Dosan is recounting the tale of how the Clan (through him) took back the temple where the tattoo ink plants grew. Story-wise, there's nothing much to it, but it's more of the same gameplay that makes MotN fun, so it's definitely worth picking up just for that. But wait, there's more!

The base game got some new abilities/tactics, and some developer commentary too, so it's absolutely worth grabbing.

Tomb Raider: Tomb of the Unknown Adventurer
There's nothing really to this as far as expanding the game's story; no life-changing dialog or ancient artifacts to examine like in the rest of the game. It's not a bad little puzzle to figure out, and since there is an XP/Salvage reward, there is a reason to go there before the game is beaten (unlike what I did). I had hoped there'd be more to it than what we got, but I can't really complain.

And since it is really short, don't bother downloading/installing the game just for that one tomb. If you have the game already installed, that's cool, otherwise it can just wait until the next time you want to play the game itself. Which will inevitably happen because the base game is really damn good.

There was a free weekend, so...

Saints Row IV
Imagine a world where you play a psychopath that leads a "popular" street gang. Now add Baseball Bat-sized Dildos, Zombies, Pony Carts, Wrestling, and Ace Ventura's mannerisms. That'd be Saints Row The Third. Now take all that... and add superpowers, aliens, and being the President. Then turn it up to 11. That's Saints Row IV.

I didn't get too far into the game (about half-way, I think) but it was all that and then some. It's more of the "same old, same old" as far as controlling areas, killing gangs, but the new approaches (uploading code, using superpowers) change it up enough to make it enjoyable all over again. Plus, we get the backstory and more development of characters that we've interacted with before, making them seem more like actual characters instead of cardboard cutouts of attractive destruction.

Obviously, I'll have more to say once I'm able to buy the game and complete it (as well as playing the DLC), but even now, I'd definitely recommend it.

Alan Wake: American Nightmare
Don't know why I booted this up, it's basically more of the same, though it seems a bit more polished. Still not the kind of story I'm interested in, but if you liked the original, then I'm sure you'll like this one.

It seems like January is DLC month.

Duke Nukem Forever: The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC
Well, it's better than the base game, I'll give it that. The driving sections were better, the puzzles were better, the dialog was still pure Duke (with the dumb stuff said by other characters), and we even got to see some naked tits, because why not. As far as what was wrong with the game, some of the puzzles were kind of unnecessary (whoops, now you're shrunk to miniature size!), and Duke kept losing his weapons for no real reason between a couple of scenes.

It's a nice little diversion after what we got for DNF, and if you bought DNF, this is worth picking up (on sale!)... but if you don't own any of the current iteration, it's not worth the price unless you can grab the whole shebang for about $5.

Ticket to Ride
It's the video game version of a board game. So there's not much to it aside from just sitting down and playing. You can either play against the computer or open up MP and play online versus other people. The object is to have more completed 'tickets' (which means more railways) to score points at the end of the game. It's fun, but more fun in a group, and I'd imagine that having people to play against in person (as in, playing the board game and not the video game) would make it much better.

Sorce Wrote:It seems like January is DLC month.

Duke Nukem Forever: The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC
Well, it's better than the base game, I'll give it that. The driving sections were better, the puzzles were better, the dialog was still pure Duke (with the dumb stuff said by other characters), and we even got to see some naked tits, because why not. As far as what was wrong with the game, some of the puzzles were kind of unnecessary (whoops, now you're shrunk to miniature size!), and Duke kept losing his weapons for no real reason between a couple of scenes.

It's a nice little diversion after what we got for DNF, and if you bought DNF, this is worth picking up (on sale!)... but if you don't own any of the current iteration, it's not worth the price unless you can grab the whole shebang for about $5.

Gah, I actually own DNF.... not by choice though. It game with the 'Balls of Steel' edition Geforce GTX 560 I bought awhile back.

Eh, a free copy of DNF isn't a bad thing. I'd play through it once just to say you did, but there's not really much there for more than one run.

January is definitely DLC Month.

Dead Space 3: Awakened
This.

This is what I want.

Sure it's mostly action, but damnit, they did it right. It's just Isaac and Carver, getting their heads fucked with for a couple of hours while they figure out how they survived and finding a way back to Earth. It's simple, short, with a healthy amount of necromorphs, zealots, hallucinations, and infighting. Plus Dat Ending. It's a bargain at $5, so if you have DS3, I absolutely recommend it.

Crysis 2: Maximum Edition
I play this game, and I'm reminded of Doom 3. Not because their plots are similar, but because they're mostly tech demos for the engine that's running them. Crysis 2 looks great, CryEngine 3 is nice... but otherwise? The game is aggressively mediocre. It's not bad, but it's certainly not burning the place down with it's awesomeness.

The story isn't bad, your character is a Marine that's rescued from an Op gone wrong by a Corporate Black Ops dude, who's dying and gives you his Super-Special-Awesome Power Suit. He's dying see, and therefore you need to be him and finish his assignment of whatever-the-fuck. Which means in addition to the standard military weapons, you can become invisible, use super-speed, or have super-strength. But of course to prevent this from breaking the game, the suit has a battery that runs down when you use any of your abilities. It automatically recharges if you give it a moment, but imagine having to do that in every firefight you inevitably have to engage in.

Oh also there's aliens, because it's CryTek, and they love aliens. The amusing thing to me was that the non-suit-powered soldiers would actually put up a decent fight against said aliens. Every so often I'd see a corpse of an alien that I didn't kill, and I knew it was alive beforehand. Because really, the guns you use in the game are standard military stuff (pistols, shotguns, ARs, grenades, C4, grenades and rocket launchers), so it's no surprise that humanity is putting up a decent fight. And if they are, why the hell do we need a suit? That's a good question, and one I don't have an answer to. I mean sure, I can punch one of those aliens to death (usually in one or two hits), but it's easier to just use a shotty. Anyway, I haven't actually beaten it yet, but I'm definitely late game, where "the truth" inevitably comes out, and everyone (apparently) is double-crossing everyone else for better or worse, and it's coming off as the writers trying too hard.

I'm not too keen on finishing it, but like I said, it's not a bad game, so I'll plow through to the end. Maybe that will have something awesome in it. Probably not.

edit: The suit has nanomachines which work like a virus to kill the aliens on the cellular level. Okay then.

I totally forgot this particular piece of DLC was inbound, but now that it's out, I downloaded/played it.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea, Part Two
I liked the sneaking mechanics, they were fairly well done. In addition, the powerset that Elizabeth has worked well with the sneaking, so you could absolutely go the whole game without killing anyone. The catch of course, is that knocking people out was still required, so you inevitably left lots of bodies in your wake, whether they were asleep or "asleep". And there definitely is (or at least was in my case) a blatant abuse of mechanics to get the job done.

As far as the story goes... it wasn't bad. There's a lot there as far as easter eggs and clarity to various points in the base game (as well as the previous iterations), so that's nice. If you want my spoilery impression of the DLC:

[spoiler]That was a lot of work to make Infinite a prequel.[/spoiler]

Medal of Honor Single Player
It's odd, the SP and MP portions are separated in the Library, instead of being a single game with both options in a menu.

That said, this is a kind of game I like, apparently. The game is squad-based goal-oriented MP, but unlike say... Counter-Strike or Mass Effect, you're a member of the team and not the leader. What this means is that you're not giving jobs to your squadmates, and they're actually competent on their own. You still absolutely have a job to do, and the game won't progress without it, but it's nice not having to be the only with the cross to bear. Of course, this game is the precursor to the modern Battlefields and Call of Duties, so it's set in modern day, but the SP portion isn't the script from an action movie. It's a lot of fighting in the dirt, taking hills, clearing tunnels, and that sort of thing; just realistic enough to be believable. Another thing I liked was that while you didn't play the same character throughout the game, every squad you were in was a tight-knit group, so there was just enough there to get you invested. And I got to do a metric fuckton of sniping, so that helps.

The one thing I didn't like about it (well two, I guess if you want to be technical) was the length and the health stat. I beat the SP campaign in just over 4 hours; that's not a lot of time to spend running around in a game like this. Though I will admit I haven't tried the "Tier One" section of the game, that may have a bit more in the way of SP goods. The only other thing was that this game has the "no health bar and regenerating health", but it wasn't as annoying to me as it has been in other games; maybe I'm just getting used to it.

But yeah, if you picked this up in the Humble Origin Bundle, it's worth a play, but otherwise, I probably wouldn't spend more than $10 on it. MP could be an entirely different story (and make the game worth more), but the game came out in 2010; if anyone is still playing it... they are vastly better than you are now. That, of course can go either way for a newbie.

Apologies for not updating this in a month and a half, but I've been caught between Borderlands 2 Headhunter Packs and Final Fantasy XIV, with this past week devoted to Saints Row IV. So, why not, let's review some of this stuff.

Borderlands 2: Headhunter Packs
These are all sold separately, but I'm reviewing them together because REASONS. There are five in total, each one being a short mission focusing around one holiday with one main "Narrator". First up is Halloween starring TK Baha, then Thanksgiving starring Mister Torgue, then Christmas Mercenary Day with Marcus, Valentine's Day with Moxxi, and wrapping it up with Easter/Spring Break with Sir Hammerlock.

The dialog is amusing (though Marcus fell a little flat to me), and there's even dialog spoken by the current batch of Vault Hunters, fleshing them out a bit more. Each pack also has a bit of a "Raid Boss" where you can run multiple times to get that particular holiday-themed skins for your (and all the other) VHs from BL2.

So yeah, if you liked BL2 then it's worth it to you to grab these because they are infinitely fun.

Final Fantasy XIV
I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy, and I'm not a fan of MMOs. So why the hell am I playing a game that is a hybrid of the two?

Because it's fun.

FF14 launched to much fanfare a few years ago... and then basically got railed against by everyone who played it. The game was horrible, the market boards/auction house was crappily organized, glitches everywhere... after the initial month, Square Enix started hemorrhaging members every month that it was possible to. It got bad enough that SE decided to stop charging people to play the game, fire the entire staff that had developed it, and start (almost) from scratch. wHile the servers were kept online, and then-current players were allowed to play, SE started revamping the game from the word go, tweaking this, adjusting that, and in some cases, redesigning dungeons and quests to make the experience better. Eventually they relaunched the game as "Final Fantasy XIV 2.0: A Realm Reborn" to much fanfare and... everyone loved it. Players came back in droves, and new players (such as myself) flocked to them as well just to see what the hubbub was about.

Well, for one, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. The character creator gives you an option to be one of five races, Hyur/Human, Elezen/Elves, Mi'quote/Cat-people, Lalafels/Midgets, and Roegadyn/Giants (each having two sub-races AND both Male and Female genders), along with being able to pick such things as height, muscle definition, eye color, skin tone, tail length (if you have one), hair style, facial structure, and the like. Females even get a Boob Slider if you feel the need to get extra jiggly, or prefer a more streamlined look.

The gameplay obviously depends on which of the 8 (initial) classes you choose. I say "initial" for two reasons. Every Class, when properly leveled turns into a Job; and I don't mean in a grindy sort of way, but in the "I know WTF I'm doing" way. In order to unlock a Job, you need to get your primary class to 30, but also a sub-class to 15. Those of you familiar with MMOs know what I'm talking about (I hope?). There's also a tertiary class that you can pull skills from, but that's not a requirement for the Job.

As an example, I started as a Marauder. They swing a big fuck-off axe; however at 30, they have the option to become a Warrior (who also swings a big fuck-off axe), but they need to get the Gladiator class (sword and shield) to 15 first. It's also recommended you level Pugilist (fisticuffs!) as the tertiary, which I did a little, but whatever. Though this brings me to one of the negatives of the game; there's only so many missions you can run before you run out of XP. Don't get me wrong, you can run Dungeons until you're blue in the face, and there's also class-specific Hunting Logs, and level-appropriate Levequests (never-disappearing missions), as well as FATEs (random spawn kill fests in the world), so there are ways to level up characters... but yes, it does feel a bit grindy at times.

But in the interests of making this a fleshed out world, you don't have to kill things or heal things in order to have a good time. There are also crafting and gathering classes, such as Blacksmiths, Culinarians, Botanists, and Miners. And of course any character you make can be any class (provided you have at least one class at Lv10), all they have to do to change classes is to equip that class's primary tool, whether it's a big fuck-off axe, a frying pan, a magic wand, a book, or whatever that class requires.

So I briefly touched on one of the negatives (some grinding), so let's cover the other ones. Well for one, this is a social game. Any dungeon you want to run has to be done in a party. The upside is that there's an app for that. You open the Duty Finder, select the dungeon (or multiples) you want to run, and the DF takes that information, as well as your current class, and finds other people that fit the missing classes (from both your server and across all servers) that also want to run the same dungeons so you can run the instance as soon as possible. This makes the game less painful, but sometimes the DF can't find people immediately, so you have to wait. Thankfully it doesn't stop you from playing the game, you just can't immediately jump into the dungeon. And of course if you party up first, the less need for the DF to do it's thing is required.

The other irritating thing is the fact that since it IS an MMO, there's a monthly fee. Now it's "only" $12/month, which isn't too bad, but it's something to think about. Thankfully the game comes with a free month to help you decide if you want to keep playing. The main story itself is kind of lackluster, in so far as it's kind of the generic take on a Hero's Journey, but there are moments that are fun. This is where the aforementioned social aspect comes in, because who doesn't want to kill evangelions with their friends?

There's also a PvP arena, but I don't do PvP, so fuck it.

But yeah, I do recommend the game, but not as a Must Play. It's enjoyable enough, the classes/jobs are fun, running dungeons can be fun, but you gotta pay to keep playing.

Hotline Miami
I don't really know how to describe this game, so let's start with it's entry on Wikipedia:

Quote:Hotline Miami is a 2D top-down action video game by Dennaton Games, a team composed of Jonatan Söderström and Dennis Wedin. The game was published by Devolver Digital and released on October 23, 2012 for Microsoft Windows. The game has been described by Eurogamer as "a top-down f***-'em-up", blending top down perspective with stealth, extreme violence and surreal storytelling, along with a soundtrack and visuals influenced by 1980s culture. The game itself was influenced in part by Nicolas Winding Refn's 2011 neo-noir crime drama film Drive, as well as Cocaine Cowboys; Refn is specifically thanked in the game's credits, and the game even features a similar "Driver" jacket lying on the floor in several levels.

Basically the game is weird, fucked up, addicting, violent, bloody (for 8-bit), kind of nonsensical, and kind of a blast. Admittedly, I've only put in about an hour at this point, but man, what an hour it was. I'll definitely be going back for more. Even the soundtrack is pretty good, and it's all 80s-style synthesizers and whatnot.

Saints Row IV (Part Two)
Hooooly shit.

Where I left off was about mid-game, but before anything "big" happened. I mean sure, an alien invasion is big news, but that's just the main plot. I'm, of course, talking about the sudden-yet-inevitable mid-game twist... and what a twist it was!

I'm not going to spoil it for everyone, but man, after that, the story really kicks into gear and it's a solid ride straight through to the end. You even find out the identity of our unknown narrator, which doesn't disappoint. And lemme say, it doesn't go anachronistic with it's choices like BioShock Infinite does, but every single licensed song in the game (heck, the series) is well-chosen, and gets a solid laugh out of me. To use an example from SR3, the final battle has you rushing to save your friends... the song playing? Bonnie Tyler's "I Need A Hero".

Though I have to say, even though this is probably a bit of a spoiler (if you haven't watched any trailers) this is probably one of my favorite moments in the game:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8-oZDJygRA"]Saints Row IV - Shaundi Vs Shaundi (Shaundi's Nightmare) - YouTube[/ame]

So yeah, definitely worth picking up, so if you did so in the recently-finished Steam Sale... Go Team!

I'm like butter, because I'm on a roll!

...Anybody?

Saints Row IV: Enter The Dominatrix
This is kind of a weird DLC, but not for the normal reasons. It basically is a "behind the scenes" take on what was originally supposed to be a DLC for the third game, except it got scrapped, with some of the scraps then becoming SR4. But yeah, this is the characters themselves talking about the DLC in interviews and whatnot about how it happened, interspersed with some actual gameplay for you, the player. It also has the most balls-out unexpected ending for a DLC ever; purely out of left field for that one.

Saints Row IV: How The Saints Saved Christmas
Shaundi comes back from the future to warn the Saints about what will happen, and that they need to rescue Santa from the evil Clawz. It's an interesting take, with The President not really being big on Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus/Etc. since The President generally takes whatever they want anyway. But anyway, the DLC bounces around the world on various missions, even going to the North Pole, which has been taken over by Clawz with the Resistance being led by Mrs. Claus. It's a light and fun DLC that totally fits with the rest of the story, and really fills you with the Holiday spirit (in that way that only Saints Row can).

Oh man, nothing's better than getting a weapon that forces you to play catch with the enemy's fireballs... except one that turns whatever you're looking at upside down so you can't aim for shit!

(Yup, this is my one sentence review for the Doom 3 DLC.)

Well, it's 2015, so I figured I'd pick this back up again and see if I can't knock out a few more games. Little did I know what I was getting into.

Gone Home
This is one of those games-that-isn't-entirely-a-game. Like, you play a fictional character, but the gameplay amounts to walking around your parents' house and clicking on things to figure out what's going on. There's no "action", just reading and occasionally listening to a mid-90s Grrl Rock song.

That said, it's amazing. The premise is that you play as Kaitlin Greenbriar, home from her year abroad and arrives to an empty house. Katie then has to search the house to figure out what's going on. Upon doing so, she finds out that not all is as she left it (especially since it's a new house), and there are secrets to be unearthed. The house itself may even be haunted?

The one not so great thing is that it's not a very long game. I cleared it in just over an hour, probably about the same amount of time to do what Katie did in real-time. It's a minor complaint though, since the game itself absolutely sucked me into the world and the time spent didn't feel like it.

Bleed
This is one of those games where it's NES-flavored Contra, but you're a girl with pink hair and you have to kill the World's Greatest Heroes. Also now you can aim with a mouse, so you get 360 degrees of projectile firing instead of your standard front or diagonal stuff. That said, it's still a 2D game, so there's nothing outrageous in the way of movement; you're generally moving left to right, with the occasional vertical stuff. Oh, and there's a Bullet Time effect you can occasionally use.

Quote:Wryn is a girl with a big arsenal and big dreams -- she wants to be the ultimate videogame hero! Help her take down the Greatest Heroes of All Time in an action-packed bid to claim the title for herself and show the world what a true hero looks like!]

It's also a series of levels that aren't really connected, so you can play one and then shut your computer off, then come back later and select a different level (or the same!) and play some more. It's also got Dem Cheevos, and Leaderboards, so you can compare your e-peen to other people who've played. I played with a KBM set up instead of a controller, so that might work better for some people than others. I did have a bit of fun, but there was a lot of frustrating points for me (considering I've only played for around an hour) that made me put it away.

So yeah, the game is cool, but not anything deep or super-awesome.

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell
This is touted as "standalone DLC for Saints Row IV", but I'd broaden that to the entire franchise. You don't need SRIV to play it (though you need to have played SRIV), and it definitely moves the plot forward as a whole instead of being a little diversion.

So, the gang is celebrating Kinzie's Birthday, playing games and such, well, here's the trailer:

That about sums it up. The game is pretty fun, and by "game" I mean "you get superpowers and one is actual flying and not just controlled falling like in the previous game". The city Hell takeover stuff is pretty boiler-plate, and the aforementioned superpowers are upgraded in the same way they were in SRIV (except they're called souls now instead of data clusters). The only difference in that regard is that unlike SRIV, you need to get every single soul cluster available if you want to max out all of your powers. But hell, you don't need to do that unless you're a completionist. You can generally max one or two and be totally fine. Same thing with weapons, though as before, the game encourages different attack styles (except maybe against the larger bosses where melee isn't entirely efficient).

As far as the story, it's neat, and there are multiple endings that you can choose. The only real complaint I have is Kinzie. Not the character herself, since Kinzie is still pretty funny, but it seems she's only there because Volition/Deep Silver wanted the game to be co-op. She's not really relevant to the story (other than it being her Birthday), and could have been played by any of the other characters in the group. I mean, I like Kinzie, but having Pierce, Shaundi, or even Matt or Asha would roughly be the same experience.

Anyway, the game is good (though not $20 good, wait for a sale), and if you're a fan of the franchise, it's definitely worth picking up.

No actual review in this post, but I figured I'd mention that not having a shitty (or at least very outdated) system makes playing games so much easier.

So yeah, more stuff coming in the future, so please look forward to it.

Wolfenstein: The New Order
This is not your Daddy's Wolfenstein. I don't say this to be edgy, but because it really isn't. To me, B.J. Blazkowitz is a human-shaped Nazi killing machine, and to say he isn't in the most recent incarnation would be a disservice. But this time around he's also got thoughts, feelings, and characterization. You'll gut a Nazi soldier like a fish, but when you're sneaking into a prison from the underwater tunnels you get internal dialog like "I swam in rivers when I was a kid, but the water was never this dark." Or he'll dream of a life after the War, where he gets to have the backyard barbeque with the wife, kids, nice house and a white picket fence. For reference, none of that stuff existed before (in my experience) in the games.

It's got a similar thing going compared to BioShock Infinite, where the gameplay is kind of at odds with the story. Except this time, it's the reverse. The story is there to push you from massacre to massacre, instead of the massacres pushing you from story beat to story beat. And despite the ridiculous prowess that at murder they display, B.J. is also absolutely okay with killing, whereas Booker was not.

All that said, this was a pretty solid game, the characters around B.J. were interesting, even the (spoiler?) love interest, who herself was actually skilled, and therefore useful instead of alternating between sitting there useless and being a damsel in distress.

I have a couple other niggling issues, but nothing that'd be a dealbreaker by any stretch. It should also be said that there's two "versions" of the game, depending on who you save in the first chapter. Both paths are (apparently) 90% the same, but you'll have Person A and Side Character A instead of Person B and Side Character B, and the bits of dialog that changes. I haven't played both paths, so I can't give my thoughts on the differences, but it's something to mention.

So yeah, pick it up if you haven't already (since I do seem to be in the minority in my thoughts, most others loved the hell out of it), and if you do own it, play it already!

Also, this is the game Duke Nukem Forever wishes it could have been. :kick:

I loved Wolfenstein. It made no excuses for what it was.

But spill your guts dude, who'd you save? Smile
Emerald: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite, 64GB Corsair DDR4, Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 XTREME 8G, 500GB Samsung PM981, 512GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Fractal Design Define 7, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W

I saved Fergus. At that particular moment, he was the man with the plan, and Wyatt looked to be a kid fresh out of boot camp that was absolutely cracking under pressure.

How about you?

Dream Pinball 3D
Couldn't get it to work.

Braid
I like the mechanic behind it (no death just rewind the character's position/time to fix the mistake), but the game itself felt kind of boring.

Fowl Space
A rooster doesn't want have to get up so early in the morning, so the solution is to mount a turret on his back and destroy the sun. Beyond that, it's a "bullet hell" side-scroller in the way that Bleed or Ducktales is. Not going to say it's bad, but it's something I definitely have to be in the right mood for... which isn't too common, if I'm being honest.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising
It's an RTS. Pass.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
What is it with companies and making standalone DLC? Why call it DLC at that point, instead of a whole new game?

Anyway, this is a direct prequel to Wolfenstein: The New Order, without the base game as a framing device (like in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel). What that means is you can totally play it before the "base game", and lose nothing in the process. Minor spoiler, the entire point of the DLC is to get the location of Deathshead, the killing of whom is the first mission in the main game.

The mechanics are largely the same, with the weapons being slightly different but visually similar. There's more of an emphasis on using the melee weapon you get early on (a broken pipe) to climb walls, open jammed doors, as well as dual-wielding for silent takedowns. There's even the entire Wolfenstein 3D game buried in there (including boss fights), with one level per chapter hidden in a secret area.

Of course, since this is a (modern) Wolfenstein game, B.J. gets some emotions and character interactions with people, which isn't a bad thing. The only real complaint I have about it is it veers a little more into the mystical than the base game (more similar to previous games in the franchise), but it does have bits and bobs that hint at what ends up being a point in The New Order. Also, they really like setting the player at the base of a hill, with Nazis all over it and telling them to get to the top without being seen.

One last thing, the game also has a decision in the game similar to the one at the beginning of The New Order, but it doesn't have the same effect. Like, there isn't a timeline change, you just see the results of it at the end. And of course, since this is a prequel, it doesn't effect the base game at all.

Overall, I liked the game, but I don't think I'll be replaying it any time soon. The aforementioned choice doesn't really change anything, and there's not enough in the game otherwise (collectible/achievement hunting aside) to get me to come back.

Sorce Wrote:I saved Fergus. At that particular moment, he was the man with the plan, and Wyatt looked to be a kid fresh out of boot camp that was absolutely cracking under pressure.

How about you?

I saved Fergus as well for pretty much the same reason. Supposedly Wyatt looks up to you later in the game as sort of a father figure, whereas Fergus is more of a bro.
Emerald: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite, 64GB Corsair DDR4, Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 XTREME 8G, 500GB Samsung PM981, 512GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Fractal Design Define 7, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W

I'd like to say I'm on some sort of a roll, but most of these games are either really simple/short, so it's easy to write about them, or they don't work.

Escape Goat
Puzzle-Platformer in 8ish-Bit where you play a Goat that was locked in a prison for witchcraft. And this isn't like that other goat-starring game where you can kind of do whatever you want, this actually has you going from puzzle room to puzzle room trying to find the doorway outside. Along the way there are dangerous obstacles, other animal friends, and that sort of thing.

It's an incredibly simple and fun (for varying amounts of both) game, and it's totally not something I'm into. Thomas Was Alone does it better, Portal is more fun, and I don't begrudge anyone for liking this game, but it's just not clicking where others in the same genre have.

Ha! You thought there was going to be another game post here, didn't you?

You're right. Bastard.

Dragon Age II: Legacy DLC
I made the mistake of not playing this until after I'd already beaten the base game. It's not really something, story-wise, that shouyld be experienced then. Mostly because it's about the Hawke Family in general, and Protagonist Hawke's father in the specific. And well, spoiler, there's a really good chance that Protagonist Hawke will be the only one left alive at the end of the base game. Getting your family members' opinions and whatnot during/after this particular bit of DLC would have been nice.

As far as lore goes, it's pretty cool. We get to find out more about the Wardens, and the Hawke Family History, and how the two are intertwined. Protagonist Hawke also gets a bad-ass new weapon suited to their class, along with the player's (one-time) pick of stat boosts. The mini-boss fights get harder and harder as you progress of course, as well as the DLC NPCs getting harder and harder to believe as to what happened way back when... all offering conflicting reports, of course. The final boss was a PITA for me, but I did muddle through it and got my Super Special Awesome Bow.... that I couldn't use on anything, since I'd beaten the game. Whoops.

So basically, if you liked Dragon Age II, and the lore therein (and that is a very divisive question, let me tell you) then you'll enjoy it. And make sure you play it some time before the end of the game. Maybe... Act II? Not sure.

Remember Me
I wish I could remember a better experience with this game.

The gameplay was a clunky version of the Arkham fighting mixed with platforming straight out of Mirror's Edge/Hydrophobia. The one interesting aspect there was centered around a "memory remixing" mini-game where you had to change a person's recollection of events. It's a neat sort of puzzle, but the idea weirds me out on a deep level. Plus the fallout of remixing the memories is only shown if it's plot-relevant... most of the time. The rest they straight up ignore it.

So the story is you play Nilin, a Memory Hunter, who'd been captured by the (French?) government, and were sent to get your brain wiped. Someone helps you out, so you escape, and as a result, the two of you work together to bring down the system. Of course, you can't be a Freedom Fighter without breaking some crepes, so that happens along the way too.

The graphics in the game are pretty, nice vistas and visually well designed areas from the rooftops of Neo-Paris, to the decaying slums and sewers, to the artificial and sterile halls of what amounts to the science prison. That's probably about all it has going for it, though.

So yeah, nice looking game with one interesting (if weird) mechanic, surrounded by a mediocre story and clunky (at best) gameplay. I'd say wait for it on sale, if you really want it on PC, otherwise rent for a console or just ignore entirely. Either way though, bring a controller; I'm told that's the better way to play.

edit: I forgot, there was one other thing that I thought was interesting, and that was you could (within reason) design your own combos. You could also change them on the fly (as in, mid-fight) which made Nilin a lot more agile. Which was good, because any kind of fighting was clunky and grindy as shit.

Dead Effect
I'll be honest, I bought this pretty much sight unseen because the title looked to combine two of my favorite franchises, Dead Space and Mass Effect. It was also under $2 on sale, so I figured it was a good deal.

That said, story mode gameplay is basically one-person horde mode with objectives. An interesting thing right off the bat was that you could pick the gender of your character, and that gave you different (starting) weapons. The guy has an assault rifle and a semi-auto pistol, while the girl has a shotgun and a revolver. Everything else seems to be the same up until the point I've played at the moment, with an odd glitch with the female's "run voice" being the man's.

The graphics are average, the voice acting is either wooden or bad accents, the weapons generally work, but reloading seems to take way too long on the shotgun (even with upgrades), and you get swarmed super-easy so movement is key. There are also other game modes, but I haven't played them yet, so that could be where the real fun is. As of right now, it's probably worth the $5 I've seen it at, definitely worth it at less, especially if you want a decent time-waster. It's not going to set the world on fire, but it's far from the worst game I've ever played.

Tales From the Borderlands
So, if you've been paying attention, I'm a fan of the Borderlands franchise. I've played to completion the first two games and all of their attached DLC (and played, and played...). I've skipped the third game for now, but that's a post for another time.

Regardless, when Gearbox announced a game partnership with Telltale to make another entry, I was hesitantly curious. I knew that Telltale didn't do FPSers, which is one of the cornerstones of Borderlands. They tended to focus more on storytelling, though I didn't really know how that was done, because despite them having a handful of games to their credit, I'd never played any of them. I liked what little story there was in BL1 (there just happened to be almost none) and I loved the story in BL2, and of course the characters introduced in both were/are pretty awesome. So I saw the game on sale, and decided to grab it for shits and giggles. Gameplay-wise... it's almost all Quicktime Events and Timed Dialog choices. Basically the stuff I don't really like in other games. And I'm not a fan of it here, but it worked well enough (especially in one particular situation I'll mention later).

You play two protagonists, Rhys (a Hyperion employee) and Fiona (a Pandoran con-artist), as they initially try to broker a deal for a Vault Key... and all the chaos that ensues. The story itself is split into five chapters released every few months, though they're all out now, with multiple parts to each chapter as the dual protags talk, explain, wheedle, and everything else they can to move the story along. And I must say, they succeed. The game is absolutely great, and is probably my second-favorite in the franchise.

Along the way you meet new friends and old, along with new and old enemies, and then work with or against them as you please. Your gun only has one bullet; do you shoot Guy A now, or save the bullet for later in case it's even more necessary? Do you hack the car to escape, or try and bullshit your way into forging a partnership? Do you initiate Step Three?

TftB is quite the journey from beginning to end, and surprisingly, has the best gunfight in the franchise, considering it's not even an FPS.

So yeah, it's normally $25 on Steam (and less when it's on sale), and the first chapter is free on Mobile and Consoles... so get you one. Catch-a-Riiiiiiide!

Metro: Last Light (Redux)
I've owned the base game for a while, but I didn't really have the 'horsepower' to run it. That was a few upgrades ago, and I've since picked up the Redux iteration, which is basically a GOTY version with some minor graphical upgrades.

The game picks up where the first one left off, though there's one big drawback for me. At the end of Metro 2033, you get a very important choice to make regarding the plot. In Metro: Last Light your save doesn't carry over, so the choice is made for you; my choice and the game's choice were different. It's ultimately okay though, since the second game is built around that choice, and the ending I got is the much more difficult of the two to obtain.

Anyway, on to Last Light itself. The game encourages two styles of play, "Survival" and "Spartan". The former enhances the stealth and resource management aspect of the game, while the latter is more run-and-gun. Both playstyles are indeed possible no matter what you choose, though running and gunning on Survival is.. difficult. For what I picked, I went with Survival, because I liked the first game's attempt at it, with more sneaking up behind people and getting rid of them quietly as well as seeing how far I could get without getting seen.

Unfortunately there's a bug in the game where you lose the ability to knock people out around half-way, which means either you start killing everyone, or try and avoid any kind of contact with any person or creature at all. I opted for the latter after a few tries, though I did have to kill people if I needed to; the key being needed, because a firefight generally would not go in my favor.

Anyway, the second game has a similar setup to the first in regards to it's Morality System where there are things you can do (or not do) that earn you points. The player never knows how many they have, and the points themselves influence the ending you unlock. I was hoping for the Good End, but didn't know if I'd actually get it until the end of the game. Thankfully I did unlock it, though there's enough there to play through again to see how the other ending plays out.

Since it is the Redux version, all the DLC is included, which means there are a bunch of side-missions outside of the main campaign where you play as other characters on certain missions. For example in the main game, you head out with a sniper to investigate something, and the side-mission is you playing as the sniper.

Overall I like the game, KO bug not withstanding, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

You make me wish I spent more time gaming.... lol.

TheGeekRedneck Wrote:You make me wish I spent more time gaming.... lol.
Ain't that difficult, bruh. Just sleep less. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I guess I'm gonna do one of dem dere gaming backlog threads... TheGeekRedneck 59 64,087 12-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: ToddSut
  The Backlog: Sorce's Edition Sorce 219 168,815 01-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Sorce