Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

So I guess I'm gonna do one of dem dere gaming backlog threads...

I like that the C&C game is actually just DLC. It's standalone, so you don't need to purchase Red Alert 3, but only EA would add unconnected DLC and a 20yo game that you can't buy as bonuses. :lol:
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Sorce Wrote:I like that the C&C game is actually just DLC. It's standalone, so you don't need to purchase Red Alert 3, but only EA would add unconnected DLC and a 20yo game that you can't buy as bonuses. :lol:

The best part of that Humble Bundle was being able to ensure that none of the money went to EA. Big Grin

TheGeekRedneck Wrote:The best part of that Humble Bundle was being able to ensure that none of the money went to EA. Big Grin

I humbly agree.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $4024 ($972 with sales)
  • Games owned: 368
  • Games played: 128 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 917.8h

Ducktales: Remastered

Prepare to get hit right in the childhood! Big Grin

Ducktales: Remastered is a complete redux of the Capcom NES classic "Ducktales". The folks at WayForward Designs took the original 8-bit game and completely re-did it with modern graphics, animations, and audio.

If you played the NES version you'll quickly find some familiarity about the level design - indeed the overall layout of each 'level' matches the classic NES version almost exactly. Baddies, diamonds, and bosses have all been 'remastered' (read: re-created from the ground up) and the game shows little of it's 8-bit heritage aside from a few sound effects.

Likewise, the soundtrack has undergone almost a complete re-imagining (although you would definitely recognize their NES heratige from the opening notes). The music is downright catchy, never annoying, and is almost orchestral in some portions of the game. The whole thing is absolutely brilliant and after finishing the game it has me wishing more classic console titles would be 'remastered' in this fashion. Contra? Space Harrier? Zelda (NES), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Should I go on?

Gameplay sticks pretty close to the roots of the NES classic - it's not too frustrating (at least on 'Easy' mode) throughout the game and the boss fights are an awesome 'reward' for trudging through the levels. The boss fights without a doubt were my favorite part of the game... especially the LAST one. Just plain fun! The last level just before the end (where you have to climb, and climb, and beat the clock so to speak) can get frustrating - especially if you're using a gamepad with a sucky d-pad (I'm looking at you, trusty Xbox 360 gamepad), but after six or seven (hundred) tried you'll make it... and the ending is so totally worth it. Smile

One last thing.... the game does feature quite a bit of cinematic cutscenes. I never found them boring and because of the voice acting it was a lot like watching an episode of the Ducktales TV show. But the means to skip cutscenes is pretty annoying.... in order to skip a cutscene you have to first press start to pause the game, and then select 'skip cutscene' from the pause menu. This is rather silly in my opinion - why not make 'skip cutscene' a button on the controller or at least a bindable CVAR so we could bind it ourselves? In any case on that very last cutscene before the game ends you'll be wanting to use that skip option a LOT to save time.

Overall Ducktales: Remastered gets a high 4 out of 5 stars from me! I'd say it's definitely worth a purchase... and if you buy it on Steam you also get the added bonus of achievements and trading cards.

Lastly, I leave you with the video trailer for the game.... prepare to be singing the song for the rest of forever.... ready.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0PzqF9gWY"]DuckTales Remastered -- Reveal Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Adding another few games.... Big Grin

[Image: batman%20origins%20coupon%20redeemed.png]

OK, so I can't play Arkham Origins yet, but that's ok since I should probably play through City first. :p

Also adding three Splinter Cell games that also came with the Zotac GTX 770.... Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

Hey Nox, Would You Kindly click this link to see who Andrew Ryan's voice actor is?
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Sorce Wrote:Hey Nox, Would You Kindly click this link to see who Andrew Ryan's voice actor is?

Dude..... mind = blown!

Bioshock

Yes, after all these years I finally played through 'Bioshock', Irrational Games' (aka 2K Boston) Dystopian sci-fi first person shooter. Set sometime in the 1960's, you play 'Jack' - a lone plane crash survivor who escapes drowning at sea by miraculously stumbling upon what amounts to a secret city on the ocean floor (Rapture). Upon arriving at the city you are instantly made aware that something is very, VERY, VERY wrong when you are introduced to a 'Splicer' - a genetically enhanced (and psychotic) citizen turned killing machine. Yes, it seems that the citizens of Rapture, free of the silly concerns of the rest of mankind and the world above, learned to screw with mother nature and genetics and (without spoiling the game too much) generally screwed themselves bigtime. You learn that the people of Rapture used genetic alterations (called 'Plasmids' in the game) like various flavors of candy.... want to freeze someone in place? Inject yourself with some EVE and then use your 'freeze' Plasmid to turn them into a block of ice!

Your mission (at least in the beginning) is to find Andrew Ryan, the genius responsible for creating Rapture... and it seems like every Splicer is out to stop you from doing so. Along the way you're also tasked with killing 'Big Daddies' - giant lumbering underwater dive suits with super strength and generally scary as hell to interact with (when they're angry, anyway). These guys are often accompanied by 'Little Sisters' - little girls with a terrifying need to harvest 'ADAM', an red colored solution that's used (at least in part) as sort of a 'currency' in the game. You kill the Big Daddy and then are left to deal with the 'Little Sister' and get the ADAM from her.

(I realize I'm being purposefully vague here - I don't want to give away too much for those who have never played the game)

The game plays very much like your typical first person shooter (Doom, Quake, etc) only it's very much like it's had RPG elements thrown in. As the game progresses you get access to more and more powerful Plasmids as well as your standard array of conventional weapons. You need to collect syringes of 'EVE' to power your ability to use Plasmids, conventional dollars to buy ammunition and health, and 'ADAM' which ends up being used as another sort of currency in the game to buy different things. As you make your way through Rapture the number of Plasmids and Tonics can actually get pretty complicated, but thankfully you aren't really required to have a huge grasp on every little facet to lumber through the game.

The game also features 'hacking' - you can 'hack' things like vending machines, locked doors and safes, and security bots and drones with varying goals. The 'hacking' ALWAYS consists of a mini-game of what amounts to 'Pipe Mania'. This is probably my biggest complaint with the game.... I never liked Pipe Mania games as a kid and I certainly don't like them now. Having to do it again and again and again just gets pointless, boring, and sometimes downright irritating. Luckily you can make and buy 'Autohacks' that ease this tedium a little. Still, they could have varied this game mechanic up a little....

Visually Bioshock is absolutely gorgeous.... I remember when the game first came out back in 2007 and being absolutely in awe at the visual beauty of it. Rapture is absolutely oozing with early twentieth century art deco and the atmosphere in general is just extremely detailed and a treat to the eyes. The water effects were actually pretty far ahead of their time and even today (six years after release) haven't been outdone by most games. Similarly, the audio in the game (when you get it working right) is artfully done. Rapture is full of audio touches like phonographs and juke boxes that play period appropriate music. Although I must say that I did get a bit tired of hearing 'How Much Is That Doggy In The Window' during a particular part of the game... Big Grin

The story line of the game is great, and I'm sorry that I can't go into great detail here for risk of spoiling the game, but it plays like great science fiction through and through. There are plenty of plot twists and a few moments that actually turn out to be quite gut wrenching. Suffice it to say that Jack (your character) may not be who or what we think he is....

It's worth noting that the PC version of the game is not without it's problems:

1. Bioshock was developed for consoles and as a result the game defaults to a FOV (field of view) MUCH narrower than the average PC user is used to. This can result in nausea and headaches for PC users, particularly if you have a large monitor and sit close to it. Thankfully this can be remedied by manually editing a configuration file and setting up key binds to adjust the FOV to a more appropriate one. You just have to remember to hit the FOV keybind every time you load a new level or restart the game.... otherwise it's BLEGH city.

2. Audio can be a real pain to get working in the game... in fact for me the game wouldn't even start and it ended up being because of a setting in my onboard Realtek audio sound properties. (Had to enable 'Stereo Mix' in the Windows audio control panel). Also you have to install OpenAL otherwise you can have issues with the sound cutting out or effects cutting each other off.

3. Alt-Tabbing in Windows can have generally unpleasant effects on the game...

Overall it's not too badly done though, certainly not as horrible an experience as some console ports. The PC version definitely looks better than anything I've seen on the console versions.

So overall I'd rate Bioshock a 9 out of 10 on a scale which I just came up with in my head and will soon forget. It's a fantastic visual experience with a great story and enough gameplay variations to keep you coming back even after you've beaten the game more than once. With recent amazon sales having the game cost as little as $2.50 (usually a Bioshock 1 and 2 bundle for $4.99) there is simply no reason NOT to own this game for yourself. Go buy it.

Eye Candy:

[Image: 2013-10-07_00001_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-07_00004_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-07_00005_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-07_00006_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-07_00020_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-08_00003_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00002_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00007_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00008_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00009_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00017_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00018_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00020_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00021_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00023_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00024_thumb.jpg][Image: 2013-10-10_00039_thumb.jpg]

If you want to avoid spoilers, you may want to remove some of those screencaps. And while I don't quite share the hatred of the 'Pipe Dream' hacking minigame, it's worth sharing that it doesn't carry over to the sequel. There is a hacking minigame of course, but it's not that.

Sorce Wrote:If you want to avoid spoilers, you may want to remove some of those screencaps. And while I don't quite share the hatred of the 'Pipe Dream' hacking minigame, it's worth sharing that it doesn't carry over to the sequel. There is a hacking minigame of course, but it's not that.

Meh, the screencaps don't really show context... so.... meh. Plus I'm TEH ADMIN AND I CAN DO WAT I WANT!

I'm trying to decide if I want to jump right into Bioshock 2, or give it a rest and play something else. I've got so many games I just need to put them in a randomizer and play whatever comes up.

In fact, I've got more to add to the backlog. My little brother got me the Humble Bundle last week...

Cities XL Platinum
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
Divinity II: Developer's Cut
R.A.W. Realms of Ancient War
Game of Thrones
Confrontation
Wargame: European Escalation
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Steam Roulette.

Batman: Arkham City

So with the recent release of the third in the series of Batman: Arkham games just being released at the end of October, I figured I had better get on the ball and play through Arkham City (the second in the trilogy).

If you enjoyed the gameplay and storyline in the original Batman: Arkham Asylum, then you will surely enjoy Arkham City.

Set about a year after the events of the first game, the second game places you in 'Arkham City' - a run down ghetto portion of Gotham which Quincy Sharp (the director of the Asylum in the first game) has converted into a prison city of sorts. Of course things are not peachy in Arkham City and there are lots of fishy things going on with Quincy Sharp, Dr. Hugo Strange (in charge of Arkham City...), and of course The Joker. We learn early on in the game that The Joker has become deathly ill due to ingesting Titan back in the Arkham Asylum days... and we end up being tasked (rather urgently) with finding a cure. What follows is a delightful roller coaster ride of a game that is long on content and ends up being really difficult to put down.

The 'map' or 'world' in Arkham City is MUCH larger than it was in Asylum. You literally have an entire CITY to explore, above and below. Along with the main storyline which largely consists of beating up bad guys in new and creative ways, you also have an absolutely DIZZYING amount of Riddler trophies to find and puzzles to solve... some of which you can only pick up as Catwoman. Oh... did I mention you play a small portion of the game as Catwoman? Yes. And while I prefer playing as the Dark Knight, Catwoman certainly is nice eye candy if you know what I mean.

Back to those Riddler trophies.... oh my GOD do they get on your nerves sometimes. Many of them are right out in the open or behind walls you have to blow up, but a good portion of them involve landing on or touching switch pads in just the right order and without touching any other surface. These can be a real pain in the ass to solve and sometimes you get the feeling that a Riddler trophy just isn't reward enough. :p I will say that finding the actual RIDDLES is one of my absolute favorite parts of the game though. Those delightfully hidden question marks that only show up in detective vision? They're back in Arkham City! Big Grin

Controls are largely just as they were in Arkham Asylum... although their does seem to be more annoyances with camera angles than there were in the first game. There are also some other really annoying moments with the control scheme, like when the grapple refuses to lock onto where you would expect it to... especially in the middle of a tense battle. But they're hardly deal breakers....
A similar array of gear awaits you in Arkham City as well. You start off with a few basics and then gradually unlock more and more gadgets and upgrades as you gain experience and level up in the game. Upgrades are mostly satisfying to earn and go along with the storyline fairly well, helping you progress through the game.

The GOTY edition of Arkham City features all kinds of added content including Riddler challenge maps and an additional story that takes place just after the events of the main game. I personally find the challenge maps and events stupid and tedious so I didn't do many of those, but the Harley's Revenge addon story was decent.

As I sit here and type this I have finished the main story, done all the side missions, found and collected ALL of the Riddler stuff, and completed the Harley's Revenge DLC. I am 'done' with the game and I have to say it was pretty great stuff. Again, if you enjoyed Arkham Asylum you WILL enjoy Arkham City, which sticks like glue to the tried and true formula.

If you haven't played either game NOW is the perfect time.... This week's Humble Bundle features games from Warner Brothers Interactive, and what do you know? Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY and Arkham City GOTY are both included. Donate what you want and enjoy several great games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Added Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition to my backlog... lol.

At this rate I'll be playing Steam games long after I'm dead.

Goat Simulator

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7dFDwRvhI"]More Goat Simulator Gameplay - YouTube[/ame]

I actually played this a little over a month ago after my little brother gifted it to me on Steam... I really wanted to wait at least a couple of weeks so I could give an honest opinion, uncolored by the hype that surrounded the game at launch time.

Goat Simulator is a stupid game. It's also brilliant. It's brilliantly stupid.

I honestly think the folks at Coffee Stain Studios might have been smoking a little of the 'wacky tobaccy' when they came up with the idea for this game, and somehow during the production process NO ONE shit-canned it. This turned out to be a good thing, because even though it's outlandishly....... stupid (there's that word again) it's also fantastic in it's stupidity. Goat Simulator never takes itself seriously, and in the process manages to make fun of almost every stereotype in modern gaming. In particular the game pokes huge fun at achievements. There are achievements for everything from simply jumping over an item or head-butting a barrel to doing crazy obscure tasks no typical gamer would ever think of. The game also conceals quite a few easter eggs, from the simple to the outlandish... and rewards for finding the more outlandish stuff are pretty crazy. There's something about the game and the way the single map is layed out that just keeps you coming back to try new things.

You're not going to spend a lot of time with the game - although the single map the game has to offer seems big at first, it's really pretty tiny and within an hour's time you've seen and done all you need to - and that's counting all the hidden stuff. There is no plot, no checkpoints, everything is done in a single gameplay session. Coffee Stain has promised DLC in the form of new maps and addons in the coming months, and strangely enough I'm actually looking forward to all of it.

At the price (under $10) it's hard not to recommend Goat Simulator... it's a fantastic time waster. And if you're lucky enough to catch it really cheap on a Steam sale or bundle, that's all the better.

Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

I'm just going to copy the Steam review I just posted:

[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]If all you are looking for is a game that's full of AVGN fan service, then this one is it (assuming you can make it through more than one level without throwing your controller at your TV). There are some hilarious nods to just about all of the memorable AVGN characters and events. From a 'sh!t pickle' hidden in each level to unlockable playable characters, each will delight the avid AVGN fan.

Unfortunately that's where it ends.

If you want a game that's fun to play and offers rewards for exploration (the way any good platformer should), then I would probably steer clear of this one. This game goes out of it's way to parody every single BAD platformer the AVGN has ever reviewed, and the end result is an excercise in furious frustration. But it's worse than that, because there are actual design choices that were made that just make the game unbearable.

Example #1: The 'death blocks' - a completely obvious crutch used by the game designer to add artificial difficulty to the game. You'll find these in EVERY. SINGLE. LEVEL. and in the worse possible places. Like floating up the screen a boss battle... they don't even bother to really theme these death blocks for each level either. Just cheap.

Example #2: The 'enemies' pretty much fall into the same few categories and are themed for each level. The generic 'fireball' enemy for instance. In one level it's an actual fireball, in another it's a ghost, in another it's a green plasma ball with a big grinning smiley face plastered on it. It's so obvious it's painful.

The list of re-used and re-skinned enemy types goes on and on...

There are other annoyances with the game as well, like the 'YOU DIED STUPID' screens with the randomized one liner generator. That gets old after the first few times you see it and can't be skipped quickly. And the actual 'GAME OVER' screen doesn't even go so far as to do the random one liner thing - it's just 'YOU SUCK, YOUR WHOLE FAMILY SUCKS' etc.

Thing is, I almost gave it a thumbs up based on the AVGN fan service alone... but when you strip that away you're left with a game that tries and fails to be a good platformer - on purpose.[/COLOR]

So you're saying your adventure in this here video game made you angry, nerd?

Sorce Wrote:So you're saying your adventure in this here video game made you angry, nerd?

YES. MUCH ANGER. VERY FRUSTRATE.

Apparently it made you so angry you haven't played a single game since!

THAT'S BECAUSE IT WAS A SHIT LOAD OF FUCK

...which is the best phrase out of AVGN by far.
Emerald: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite, 64GB Corsair DDR4, Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 XTREME 8G, 500GB Samsung PM981, 512GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Fractal Design Define 7, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W

Sorce Wrote:Apparently it made you so angry you haven't played a single game since!

That's an ugly way to end a gaming career. That Goat Sim is more sinister than I thought. Looks like I dodged that bullet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sorce's Backlog: The Next Time Around Sorce 134 96,649 07-05-2020, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Sorce
  Your most profound moment in gaming TheGeekRedneck 3 11,536 09-15-2014, 03:36 AM
Last Post: jennecarter
  The Backlog: Sorce's Edition Sorce 219 168,541 01-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Sorce
  General Good-Girlie's Gaming Gunk vesselle 5 8,066 10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Last Post: TheGeekRedneck
  VIDEO PREVIEW: OnLive Remote Gaming Service! 0 432 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: