Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Project "Walk My Ass Off"

So as many of you know I've always been quite a bit portly and for the most part I always thought I was happy with that. But with recent health concerns and watching members of my family succumb to obesity related illnesses I really feel like it's time to make a change in my life. The fact that I'm doing a lot more video and photo work documenting my and my families life also led me to this decision - I guess seeing your fat mug on video and in photos will do that to a guy, right?

So a couple of weeks ago I started what I call "Project: Walk My Fat Ass Off". I began with the simple determination to lead a healthier life and hopefully shed some pounds while doing so. Over the past 2 weeks I've found that a lot of people want to 'join up' as it were and embark on this journey with me. My roomate, my aunt, and some forum members have pledged to 'walk with us' as it were and I hope this is just the beginning.

Unlike many people who try and change their life like this my main goal isn't to lose weight, it's to BE HEALTHIER. While losing weight is definitely a part of that primary goal I've vowed not to obsess over it. Instead I will focus my efforts towards eating a little better and exercising often. My primary exercise will obviously be walking as you can tell by the title of this project.

Walking can do miracles for the overweight and unfit person. I've seen people lose hundreds of pounds just from a regular regiment of daily walking. I remember last year when I was going in for a chest X-ray (to find the source of some troubling chest pains) the rather thin technician took me aside and told me that he lost over 150lbs just from walking every day. The point is walking is a simple exercise that everyone can do.

I've been trying to take my camera along and shoot a little video each night we go walking, not necessarily for documentation's sake as much as for comedic value and to help push any of you along who want to join. I'll be posting my first 2 weeks of video on YouTube and/or Vimeo soon enough so you guys can have some fun laughing with me, laughing at me, and we can spur each other along.

I'll use this thread as sort of a project log with semi-daily updates on what I'm walking and any other exercise I do along with whatever I'm eating. Again this isn't going to be a radical change in my diet but it will be a healthier diet for sure.

My weight as of two weeks ago was 355 lbs. At 6'2" I carry it better than most people would, but as you can see I am still morbidly obese and I've got to do something to change that fast. That's part of what "Walk My Fat Ass Off" is all about.

Here is the moment you've all been waiting for... here is what I look like today. No punches pulled, no holds barred, no sucking my gut in. Warning, this might be disturbing to some viewers:

[Image: noxbeforepix%20001_thumb.jpg][Image: noxbeforepix%20002_thumb.jpg]

I'll be updating and adding to this post a bit later but I wanted to hurry up and get the thread started. This thread will be echoed at www.spiceforums.com and www.gamebeat.net. Smile

I wish you luck.
You know in this fast food era, we never truly take time to do things right. People are always looking for the quick and easy way to do it as fast as possible. I don't think the average american family sits at the dinner table anymore, we tend to live on caffeine and salty foods.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, anyone may not be able to do things right all the time, but putting some effort to do something right should be acknowledged.

So again, Good Luck!
Chrono
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3.60GHz (9x400MHz)
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004 Heart
Sephiroth - Rog Strix Hero III G731GU
CPU: i7 9750H
Video: Nvidia GTX 1660TI 6GB/intel UHD 630 
RAM: 16GB Micron CL19

can i ride my bike in circles around you while you walk?

you may remember that walking was how i got started when i decided, at 302 lbs, i had to lose that jiggly crap all over my body. one day it just got to be too much and i went out and did it.

it was definitely baby steps at first, but i got better at it quickly. then, since i lived in a 5 story brownstone, i started walking up and down those frickin' stairs. then i would walk up and down them 2 steps at a time.

i was too embarrassed to go outside. so when i got down to 250 lb, i started jogging in the hallway, from the outside front door to my apt door at the far end of the hall. if anyone was coming, i could see them thru the front door or hear them coming down the stairs and i'd bolt into my apt.

it was good weight loss, too. made me stronger. it's stayed off, but i had my ups and downs. you just gotta forgive yourself and start up again. i still exercise daily. light weight training, bike riding are just icing on my fitness cake.

just remember. give yourself time. don't beat yourself up when you bail on yourself. just get back out and start again.

oh yeah, music always helped me a LOT. i'd put on my favorite dvd and dance around my apt, waving my arms and kicking my feet up, while i sang at the top of my voice like an idiot. if you're having fun, it's easier to do.

OMG! jason, you can SO do it!
well whatever nevermind

vesselle Wrote:can i ride my bike in circles around you while you walk?

you may remember that walking was how i got started when i decided, at 302 lbs, i had to lose that jiggly crap all over my body. one day it just got to be too much and i went out and did it.

it was definitely baby steps at first, but i got better at it quickly. then, since i lived in a 5 story brownstone, i started walking up and down those frickin' stairs. then i would walk up and down them 2 steps at a time.

i was too embarrassed to go outside. so when i got down to 250 lb, i started jogging in the hallway, from the outside front door to my apt door at the far end of the hall. if anyone was coming, i could see them thru the front door or hear them coming down the stairs and i'd bolt into my apt.

it was good weight loss, too. made me stronger. it's stayed off, but i had my ups and downs. you just gotta forgive yourself and start up again. i still exercise daily. light weight training, bike riding are just icing on my fitness cake.

just remember. give yourself time. don't beat yourself up when you bail on yourself. just get back out and start again.

oh yeah, music always helped me a LOT. i'd put on my favorite dvd and dance around my apt, waving my arms and kicking my feet up, while i sang at the top of my voice like an idiot. if you're having fun, it's easier to do.

OMG! jason, you can SO do it!

Believe it or not I actually thought of you when all this started. You're part of my inspiration, as corny as that sounds. Smile

I still haven't ridden my bike yet. I'm worried that my fat ass will break it, and I'm also worried about what people will think seeing my 350lb fatso body riding a mountain bike up and down our streets.....

I've got tons of video of my walks and stuff (basically me being a goofball) but every time I go to put it in Youtube I'm scared of what you guys (and everyone else) will think. I'm such a goddamned fatass.....

Nox Wrote:Believe it or not I actually thought of you when all this started. You're part of my inspiration, as corny as that sounds. Smile

I still haven't ridden my bike yet. I'm worried that my fat ass will break it, and I'm also worried about what people will think seeing my 350lb fatso body riding a mountain bike up and down our streets.....

I've got tons of video of my walks and stuff (basically me being a goofball) but every time I go to put it in Yahoo I'm scared of what you guys (and everyone else) will think. I'm such a goddamned fatass.....

god, i SO get that, jason. Sad but remember, you're doing this for yourself. it doesn't matter what any one else thinks. and when you've lost more weight, you can look back on those videos and congratulate yourself on your accomplishments!

you know what else? the endorphin high you get from exercising will help with the feeling that you're a fat ass. honestly, i think that's 50% of why i kept it up. (uh, the endorphin rush, not the feeling like a fat ass)

and, as yucky as it sounds, take photos. so you can compare.

i still think of myself as a fat-ass-in-waiting. like it's just a matter of time before the universe throws all that crap right back at me. but i pretty much stay the course by not eating out (esp fast food) and buy only what's on my grocery list.

i have been known to binge out tho'. i think i stole someone's box of chocolates recently and pigged the whole damn thing at one sitting.

okay... here's my a pic of my fat ass. i was about 280 then, so i'd lost about 20 or 22 lbs.

[Image: Picture103.jpg]
well whatever nevermind

me nowadays.

[Image: vesselle042707.jpg]
well whatever nevermind

Hubba Hubba!

I'm going to be posting lots of videos later today of my first 2 weeks of walking. I try to take the camera with me whenever I go because... well... I find humor in everything so I'm always acting goofy and being a goofball. They'll probably be boring for most people but it will be sort of a video blog for me and a way to gague my fitness (and weight loss) level months down the road.

Sheesh Karen, you're like a bottle of tequila.... you're making me awful courageous wherein otherwise I wouldn't be. Big Grin Heart

taking the camera with you is brilliant!
i feel that anything you can do to take your mind off what you're actually doing, makes the hard part easier. and while it IS work, after a while you will associate fun with exercise. and then you look forward to it.

i still put on music and exercise to it while i sing along. but sometimes i just gotta boogie. and that's additiional aerobic exercise. keeping your brain & body oxygenated while you work out really helps you in so many other ways. it becomes playtime. and everyone knows that playing is one of the best gifts you can give your brain and body.
well whatever nevermind

m'kay. lost retrospective is on for upcoming new lost episodes, so i'm gonna do my floor excercises while i watch. :p

*giggles* c'mon jase. sit next to me on the floor and i'll hold your ankles if you need it while you do your sit-ups. :p
well whatever nevermind

vesselle Wrote:*giggles* c'mon jase. sit next to me on the floor and i'll hold your ankles if you need it while you do your sit-ups. :p

LMAO you'll be right in the line of fire so to speak, and I had cabbage for lunch today! :lol::lol::lol:

I did a bad thing tonight.... I made a pitcher of sweet iced tea. Smile

Ehh gimmie a break it's the first iced tea with REAL sugar I've had in over two weeks! But my god it tastes sooooooo good. But when this pitcher is empty it will be back to Aspartane for me. Feels nice to have a treat once in awhile...

BTW Karen, how tall are you? I can't believe you were 280 in that picture from 2004. You must be like 7 feet tall... (rawwwr baby!). Thanks for having the courage to post before and after pictures. You're inspiring! Heart

i'm a shortie, dearie. 5'8".
well whatever nevermind

more proof

[Image: Picture102.jpg]
well whatever nevermind

You're not alone, I'm converting and uploading videos on Youtube right now! Gonna take a set of 'before' pictures tonight too so I (and everyone else) can follow my progress!

oh yeah.... just so you know....
i was sucking my gut in to make it look smaller.
and look at my neck... i had 3 chins.

gah! i'm running over to the exercise room right now!!
well whatever nevermind

WARNING: These videos may be utterly boring to you. I upload and post them primarily to document my fitness level and daily workout, and also to show my friends what a complete geeky goofball I am. If you don't like my videos you can do me a favor and take a flying leap through a rolling doughnut. :p

This video was taken on September 14th which would later become known as "Day One" of Project Walk My Ass Off. We had decided to take the kids walking to the new park they are building in my neighborhood, and after that night we pretty much got inspired to make walking a 'daily thing'. Anyway in part one we are walking through the creek behind our house and down the street to the park. I'm being a goofball as usual...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZuIKqpCxzU"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day 1, Part 1[/ame]

In part two my aunt (Icart) and I walk around the park while the kids play. By 'play' I mean that my little brother (KeyMeistro) aggrivates the hell out of my niece (KT)... Rolleyes You'll also get to see my try out one of the silly toys and fall on my ass. Most funny. Big Grin
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zTwvZsZgvY"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day 1, Part 2[/ame]

In part three we decide to leave the park after walking several laps around it, and we head for the Chicken Express to get a nice cold iced tea to drink. On the way my little brother and I make tons of references to a certain Stephen King book/movie... :lol:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8YkX3BRN_s"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day 1, Part 3[/ame]

In part four (final part) we are on our way home and try walking through the creek in almost complete darkness. Hilarity ensues as both my aunt and I nearly pee our pants from laughing so hard. I also try to jump the creek and land face first into a tree (I swear it wasn't there before!). The video is almost completely pitch black, but the audio is hilarious.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUOUWA6MPMg"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day 1, Part 4[/ame]

DAY TWO

Day Two is when we really decided to 'make something' of this whole walking thing, it was that night when I starting thinking "Hey I can make a whole project out of this... I can video my progress and put it on youtube and on my forums!". Unfortunately I didn't take much video of us actually WALKING but I did get some hilarious video anyway.

In this video you see me impatiently waiting for my aunt to get home. Well idle hands are the devil's work and idle minds are even worse, so I quickly decided to put on this pair of goofy ass sunglasses and try to scare the crap out of my aunt as she walked in the door. :lol: I am SUCH a goofball... I do stuff like this CONSTANTLY. Then we go walking and in a short piece of the video you can see us walking by the train as it rattles past us. Then it cuts to us relaxing outside on our deck... and as usual I'm goofing off.

Someone remind me never to chew gum on camera again, dammit!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNz6Zw2pfY0"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day Two[/ame]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNz6Zw2pfY0"]
[/URL]

don't chew gum on camera again, jase!

:p
well whatever nevermind

Day Three:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXdCIYoEsx8"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day 3 - 9/16/08[/ame]

Day Four:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD7OnYOMNt4"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day 4 - 9/17/08[/ame]

Day Five:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tJJxrb5_kk"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day 5 - 9/18/08[/ame]

Day Ten:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGYwBeBkOc"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Day 10 - 9/24/08[/ame]

Here is the moment you've all been waiting for... here is what I look like today. No punches pulled, no holds barred, no sucking my gut in. Warning, this might be disturbing to some viewers:

[Image: noxbeforepix%20001_thumb.jpg][Image: noxbeforepix%20002_thumb.jpg]

These rather unflattering pictures are my inspiration to get healthy, get fit, and try to enjoy doing so to the fullest.

*alarm goes off* beeeeep beeeeeep beeeeep beeeeep!

time to update jase!

;p
well whatever nevermind

vesselle Wrote:*alarm goes off* beeeeep beeeeeep beeeeep beeeeep!

time to update jase!

;p

LOL, well we have been so busy with errands we haven't been able to walk since the weekend. But we resumed tonight and I've got some more goofy video but Youtube is being a douche right now and won't let me upload anything.

We walked 1.42 miles according to the pedometer, I think we actually walked closer to 2 miles but the stride length setting is set lower than it should be so it measured 1.42 miles. :p

Walking my ass off, October 1st, 2008:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCnwLgH-l-k"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - October 1st, 2008[/ame]

October 2nd, 2008:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnPMiyRBYI"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - October 2nd, 2008[/ame]

Friday, October 3rd, 2008:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GqrpVsCAI8"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Friday, October 3rd, 2008[/ame]

Saturday, October 4th, 2008 - Early Morning Garage Sale Wakeup Edition:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJWl0oMerQ"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Saturday, October 3rd, 2008 - Pt. 1[/ame]

Saturday, October 4th, 2008 - Mid-afternoon walk our ass off and get lost edition:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQpGUc3duNQ"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Saturday, October 4th, 2008 - Pt. 2[/ame]

Sunday, October 5th, 2008 - Early morning walk my ass off with my little brother!:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYgJEdQBSjw"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Sunday, October 5th, 2008[/ame]

she is NOT rotten. she's cute!

Smile i like your walks! keep posting them, jase.
well whatever nevermind

Hahahahaha.... if you look at October 5th's video at the very last frame it's a picture of my mom's lawn gnome with a big fat sausage.

We snuck over and stole her yard gnome last Saturday and are going to keep it for like a month and take it with us everywhere and get lots of pictures. Then we are going to return it with an envelope full of pictures from his travels!

Oh and Katie (my niece) just LOVES it when I make her pancakes. She begs me to every time she comes over... and yes right after that video I did make her and KeyMeistro a big breakfast of pancakes and scrambled eggs. :p

Rode the NoxBike for the first time this morning, it wore me the heck OUT. Video is uploading to youtube at the moment and will be posted as soon as it's ready. Smile

YAY! wanna see it!!

pew! quick!! hold your nose! i rode to the post office and back. i'm stinky.
well whatever nevermind

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLEEM6AY4jA"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Oct. 8, 2008 - Biking![/ame]

Just got back from walking tonight, have video, will upload tonight... in the meantime the above video is me riding my bike at 7AM this morning. Smile

Our video from walking tonight...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVHz7NjQLbA[/ame]

Rode the bike this morning, about twice as far as last time. Almost got hit by a car because he wasn't watching where he was going!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNBty2hCXlw"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Oct. 9, 2008 - Biking![/ame]

YAY! you rode your bike!
i hate speed bumps, too. i usually end up standing up on my pedals when i have to go over one, because i don't like the bumpity-bump on my butt.

OMG! i am so proud of you!!! keep it up, jase! even if you only go a little ways each time. it's a really good cardio work out for you. you will start seeing your endurance increase and your muscles getting stronger. you will also realize how good it is when you see your body changing. Smile

remember, muscles burn calories faster. so when you're muscles start toning up (which the bike will help with a LOT) you'll see more weight dropping off!

*snoopy-happy-dances around you while you sit and rest*
well whatever nevermind

Thanks, Karen! Heart

We went to a different park tonight and walked about 1.2 miles... we would have done more but I have this weird back/stomach ache thingy going on today so we went home early. I didn't take any video tonight either because I was feeling like poo. Sad

Dinner tonight? Tex-Mex Tilapia

4 Tilapia Fillets
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lime juice
1 medium tomato (diced)
1 small onion (diced)
Jalapeno pepper rings
2 - 3 cilantro leaves

Lay Tilapia fillets out in an appropriately sized baking dish. Whisk lemon juice and olive oil until well blended and then pour this mixture over the Tilapia fillets evenly. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the Tilapia and then let sit at room temperature for about an hour. Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat and then place the Tilapia fillets in the skillet. Pour juices/marinade over the fillets inside the skillet. Add tomatoes, onions, and Jalapeno slices to taste. Cook the fillets about 4 minutes on each side.

This is a VERY tasty meal and is very light for you calorie counters.

*yawns* Going to bed now in hopes of getting an early rise for another bike ride in the morning.

I was BEAT last night. I barely remember going to bed :lol: and I must have been tired because I slept like a rock. I woke up this morning and looked at the clock, 6:55! Shit! I'm late! I don't like to leave the house when it's light out because I don't want the neighbors to see my fat tired butt riding down the road. :p

So I got up and put on my sweaty clothes from last night's walk, and hauled my ass out the door... but I felt of my tires and they were a bit mushy, so I had to grab the keys to my aunt's ride and air up the tires with the pump we keep in her car. :p So by the time I finally left it was 7:20 and plenty light out.

I didn't come home until around 8:10 or so, in fact I ran into my aunt on the way home. :lol:

This video has a bit of bike riding in it but half of it is me sitting and talking to the camera after the ride. :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_uLLWgAW8"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Oct. 10, 2008 - AM Biking![/ame]

I didn't take the camera with us tonight because my walking partner yelled at me and told me I wasn't to video her anymore.

We did walk just over 2 miles though.... quietest damned 2 miles you ever heard. We barely spoke to each other.

My back and legs are killing me and I'm feeling really sad Sad so I might just skip the bike ride tomorrow morning.

i'm sorry you're sad. but you know what will make you feel good?
exercise. :p
yup.
if you really don't feel up to the bike ride, then put on a movie you really really like and walk in place while you watch it.
well whatever nevermind

So it's 3:20 or so and I just got back from walking. By myself. All alone. Sad

I know I was gone for more than an hour, and I know that I didn't stop once to rest the entire time I was gone. I was too pissed off to stop, and every time I thought about resting I remembered how pissed and hurt I am and that kept me going.

I'd guesstimate that I walked close to 3 miles in the afternoon heat. OK well it's currently 85F outside, that's pretty warm for an albino snowman like me. Certainly far different from the 65-ish degrees I'm used to walking in.

I took some video too, uploading it to youtube now and will post it as soon as it's finished.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArPTgoFW8dQ"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Oct. 11, 2008 - Afternoon Walking![/ame]

*hugs jason* i'm sorry you're pissed and hurt. Sad but i am so glad you went walking anyway. did you feel any better afterwards?
i know when i'm upset/depressed/p.m.s.-ing and i exercise, i start feeling better. exercise is cool that way. it releases endorphines that make me feel goooood.

and don't forget the relief when that exercise hour is finally over. Smile :p

ps: i'm glad you got the game! *hugs jase* and my silly little drawing.
well whatever nevermind

ooh oooh!
get yerself a big freakin' pillow to beat up. i don't want you beating yerself up. (physically or mentally) no! that's bad. but freakin' out on a soft inanimate object. yes! that's good.
well whatever nevermind

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOGtpJ6TI-k"]YouTube - Project Walk My Ass Off - Oct 13 - Blister![/ame]