Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

What are you up to?

(01-24-2020, 06:43 PM)evildre Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 04:21 PM)TheGeekRedneck Wrote: You need to wash that dirty mouth with lava soap!!!!  GAAAAH!!!

LOLOLOL

Edge is Chromium now. I can install Chrome extensions. Sites look the same in Edge as they do in Chrome. Once it hits Windows 10 Enterprise builds, it'll get deployed with the OS, so I won't need to deploy Chrome alongside it (except for web developers ... they get a lot of browsers).

I just can't.   Call it 30+ years of experience with Microsoft...   I know it's Chromium based but that doesn't mean they've left it alone.  I keep saying I want to at least give it a try and every time I think about it I feel so.... so.... dirty!  Big Grin

The 9900K lazily chewing on HEVC video encoding in Sony (err...  MAGIX) Vegas while I'm watching Youtube videos on the secondary display.   I say lazily because the encode is being helped along by the NVENC courtesy my RTX 2070.

It's a miracle the encode finished with all the power dips we've had today.   Says a lot for caps in the PSU in my machine, they're smoothing the dirty power out like a champ.

.jpg   85192403_10156399721701525_4365579186866225152_n.jpg (Size: 94.35 KB / Downloads: 0)

I need to find some time to sit down and upgrade the forum backend soon. We're not really far behind, a minor point release or two. The main reason I haven't done it yet is no matter the forum software things in the styleset inevitably get b0rked and cause the forum to look crappy for weeks or months until I can be bothered to dig into it.

(02-07-2020, 12:59 PM)TheGeekRedneck Wrote: I just can't.   Call it 30+ years of experience with Microsoft...   I know it's Chromium based but that doesn't mean they've left it alone.  I keep saying I want to at least give it a try and every time I think about it I feel so.... so.... dirty!  Big Grin

Oh yes, I know where you're coming from with the Microsoft thing. I've been firmly latched onto their teat for the past 15 years Big Grin But ... using it doesn't feel as dirty as using IE or the original Edge did.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 XTREME 8G, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

Unboxing the Oculus Rift I've had sitting brand new in the box for like a year and a half....

So here is a question, If I install a cheap but capable Gfx card in another slot but don't use a bridge can i still Use it for like off duty task and what not? I know they have adapters to connect a single Monitor to two different Gfx cards. Kinda like a physics card but more for like Mining and whatnot.
Chrono
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3.60GHz (9x400MHz)
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004 Heart
HD: 1x WD Black 640GB AALS SATA2 3.0GB/s
1x WD Black 1TB FALS SATA2 3.0GB/s

(02-07-2020, 02:16 PM)TheGeekRedneck Wrote: Unboxing the Oculus Rift I've had sitting brand new in the box for like a year and a half....

Dude. It's colder where you're at than it is in Chicago right now.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 XTREME 8G, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

Trying to dodge performing computer repair services. I get enough requests from family, and I've seen that as soon as I lay a finger on any computer, any future problem immediately becomes my responsibility. NOT GONNA DO IT

I finished all of this yesterday, but today was testing, so it counts~!

Finally did a bit of upgrading on my rig; installed my RTX 2070S, de-lidded my 4790k and am cooling it with an AIO watercooler, and tossed all the parts old and new in a brand new case. Hell, I even had enough room in there to knock the dust off my old Blu Ray DVD 5.25" drive and installed that.

Still really need a modular power supply though, I couldn't swing it this time, but that's at the top of the list for "next time".

edit: I need to grab a DP to DVI adapter though, because my second monitor isn't anywhere new enough to have HDMI or Displayport.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

(02-08-2020, 11:20 AM)Sorce Wrote: I finished all of this yesterday, but today was testing, so it counts~!

Finally did a bit of upgrading on my rig; installed my RTX 2070S, de-lidded my 4790k and am cooling it with an AIO watercooler, and tossed all the parts old and new in a brand new case. Hell, I even had enough room in there to knock the dust off my old Blu Ray DVD 5.25" drive and installed that.

Still really need a modular power supply though, I couldn't swing it this time, but that's at the top of the list for "next time".

edit: I need to grab a DP to DVI adapter though, because my second monitor isn't anywhere new enough to have HDMI or Displayport.

Nice!

Reminds me I've been looking at picking up a cheap used 4770K to throw in the recently overhauled UNRaid box. It's got a 4570S in there now but I'd really like some variant of the 4770 for the hyperthreading since the box does actually do a lot of random stuff at any hour of the day. Also been considering a comparable LGA1150 Xeon since they can usually be had for much cheaper and will drop in most Z87/Z97 boards. Like an E3-12xx or something.

Overclocking really isn't needed on the thing since it's running an Ebay special Asus H81M-ITX board I scored for like $30 or something.

The 5TB 2.5" Seagate drive in my UniFi Cloud Key Gen2+ failed. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Stepdaughter brought an Acer Aspire netbook for me to look at because "Internet Explorer won't even load".

It's a netbook.
It's an old netbook.
It's got an Atom N270 in it. It's not even a 64-bit processor.
It's running Windows 7 Starter Edition... on 1GB RAM.

It literally took 2 minutes to boot to a usable desktop and that's after a factory wipe.

I'm trying to get Chrome installed and massive Acer bloatware uninstalled. I'm going to jab a rusty screwdriver in my eye.

*cough* https://peppermintos.com/ *cough*

(02-09-2020, 09:34 AM)TheGeekRedneck Wrote: Stepdaughter brought an Acer Aspire netbook for me to look at because "Internet Explorer won't even load".

It's a netbook.
It's an old netbook.
It's got an Atom N270 in it. It's not even a 64-bit processor.
It's running Windows 7 Starter Edition... on 1GB RAM.

It literally took 2 minutes to boot to a usable desktop and that's after a factory wipe.

I'm trying to get Chrome installed and massive Acer bloatware uninstalled. I'm going to jab a rusty screwdriver in my eye.
That sounds exceedingly close to my Dad's netbook; it'll run Win10 Pro if you're into that sort of thing. Win7 Starter is a shitty fuckin' OS.

If not, see if you can double that RAM and if it doesn't have an SSD, grab a spare USB thumbdrive to use ReadyBoost.
Thundercracker: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Fractal Design Focus G Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Win10 Pro 64-Bit

My next PC build at the office will be a bit of a monster. Threadripper 3960X, Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard, 128GB RAM, MSI Ventus RTX 2070 Super video, 1TB Samsung 970 Pro boot volume, 512GB Intel 660p cache volume, 4TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro data volume. Power supply is a SeaSonic Prime Ultra 750 Titanium power supply, CPU is cooled by a Corsair H150i Pro 360mm radiator, and it's all wrapped up in a Corsair Carbide 275Q case. Still waiting for a couple parts to show up, including the Gigabyte TPM add-in thingie. This will be used by one of our content creators, and is the second (but most powerful) AMD system in the office.

The Oculus Rift is finally connected, installing the main software now.... Let's see how quickly I'm ready to barf.

Brilliant. The Oculus VR "installer" is one of those downloaders like the Steam installer. Except this one pulls down like 6GB of shit to do the install.

I need to make a mental note to see if they have a redist package because I don't want to do this damn download every time I reinstall Windows.

Took the car in for pre-road-trip maintenance (oil change, tire rotation, etc), and it's good to go.

Also ... you know that screen in Windows that shows you your Ethernet adapter's status? You know,when you go to Network and Sharing Center and click on the interface. General tab. Connection section with IPv4/IPv6 connectivity, media state, duration, speed, and a Details button. Activity section with bytes sent/received, Properties/Disable/Diagnose buttons. For the first time today, I saw this dialog with a Speed value of 200 Gbps.

200 Gbps.

Two. Hundred.

Huh. When did Waze start allowing trips over 800 miles? It calculated the route to the hotel in Chapel Hill without bitching or crashing ... that's a first.

(02-14-2020, 07:22 AM)evildre Wrote: Huh. When did Waze start allowing trips over 800 miles? It calculated the route to the hotel in Chapel Hill without bitching or crashing ... that's a first.

Probably after Google bought it.

I'm currently in the process of shutting down our phone system so I can move it's power cord (who at Cisco thought that putting the connector on the front of a BE6000S was a good idea?) so I can get a rack unit back for switch space.......
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $4024 ($972 with sales)
  • Games owned: 368
  • Games played: 128 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 917.8h

Oh definitely not ... it's taken a few years, since I wasn't able to use it during my last trip.

Oculus Rift first impressions:

Yes, after sitting in the box for over a year and a half I finally unboxed and setup my Oculus Rift. Mine is the version released prior to the current generation Rift S and Quest models, I believe it's referred to as the CV2. Anyway, after an arduously long and involved setup process, I was off and running. One thing I noticed right off is that the display is quite blurry - it left me wanting some sort of diopter adjustment. There's also a lot of lens fogging which I'm sure is partially my fault for not getting a perfect seal on the headset leading to fogging from exhaling. You also need quite a bit of space available to really enjoy the VR experience - my current 1.5 - 2.5 foot of movement space really hampers both the sensor calibration and usage in general. Once you've gotten over the blurry visuals and limited playfield the actual 'VR' part of things is really cool. The Oculus touch controllers feel really good in the hand and once you've gone through the tutorials (hosted by a very WALL-E looking robot) using them to point, grab, throw, and handle items in the VR landscape is damn near second nature. After thirty minutes of target practice in the tutorial "lab" I did start to notice some vertigo and motion sickness, that familiar cold sweat and warnings from my brain that "you better quit while you're ahead, mister, or you'll be really sorry". Overall it's an enjoyable experience that I'm sure will get nothing but better with tweaking and adjusting the fit of my headset better, and definitely more so with a much bigger play area that I'll get at the new house. I think maybe I'll try it once more and then box it up until after the move.

So, I drove to North Carolina on Sunday, and I drove back Wednesday night into Thursday morning. I am once again reminded of the feelings I had when I used up my first tank of gas in the now-one-year-old Civic Sport Touring: with this kind of fuel economy, why did I keep the hybrid for so long? I averaged 39.7 mpg on the way there and 40 mpg on the dot on the way back -- without Econ mode enabled. Overall, that's better than I did with the hybrid on the same journey. I guess I now know why the Civic Hybrid does not exist in the 10th generation, and they spun it off to a separate model, the Insight.

Next item ... the tech features. Woah boy. Android Auto is the shit. Google Maps is so much better in the center console than on a phone in a holder, if only because of the bigger screen. It tells you about traffic, accidents, and speed traps. It suggests alternate routes, tells you the difference in time it'll take, and tells you whether or not there are tolls. The integration with various music apps is seamless. This is great and all, but the Honda Sensing suite is way more awesome than that ... basically you get to the speed you want to go, set how far you want to be from the car in front of you, press a couple buttons, and it just goes. Keeps itself between the lines, maintains a constant speed, and slows down/keeps pace with the car in front of you if there is one. Made the drive so much less mentally taxing, even with the relatively curvy West Virginia Turnpike in the mountains. The lane keep assist system didn't falter, even with all the curves in the dark.

The Odyssey is a great road trip vehicle, don't get me wrong, but the Civic is probably the best one I've driven so far.

I unlocked my Note 8 now that's paid off completely.
Chrono
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3.60GHz (9x400MHz)
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004 Heart
HD: 1x WD Black 640GB AALS SATA2 3.0GB/s
1x WD Black 1TB FALS SATA2 3.0GB/s

I updated my pfSense router to use Quad9 DNS & Suricata. Overkill at home? Probably but why not. It's not like its stressing the i5-4670 that is in it......

Nice. I think I've got Pi-Hole using Cloudflare and Quad9 at the moment. Used to use a couple of Unbound containers querying the root directly, and I forgot why I switched back.

Did just have a problem where Suricata kept blocking my work IP since I stream music over Airsonic at work. That has been resolved now.

And I had to roll back my DNS changes, it was causing big issues with the Roku & streaming. Gotta keep the kiddos happy.

Aww yeah, got my new phone. Going on an app installing spree because REASONS