GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
Can't say I've ever tried Fireball. I drank a couple beers (Three Floyds Alpha King, Two Brothers Pinball) while I was making dinner last night, and one more (Two Brothers In the Flesh) during The Walking Dead, but that's it.

Streamed BL2 again. Short vid this time. Have to remind myself why I enjoy games by going back and playing an older game in the series

I'm not a huge fan of beer, but I WILL happily enjoy some Dos Equis... it makes all of the other mass marketed shit taste like dog piss in comparison. But I've never had the occasion to try all the lesser known craft beers and regionally available stuff. Always wanted to dabble though...

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:35 PM
i liek turtles

So, I listened to the Leonard Cohen version of The Partisan, which is a cover of a 1943 French song.

And you know what? Hearing the original, and hearing Leonard Cohen perform it ... excellent. The history behind the song, all that good stuff. But this? This is my favorite version.

Emerald: i7-2600k @ 4.6 GHz, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT DDR3-1866, MSI GeForce GTX 970 100ME, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750
Old 10-24-2017, 09:13 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Relatedly, the specs came out for Wolfenstein II, and I'm a video card short of hitting the "Recommended" settings. I'm good to go with everything else, but I need a 6GB card where I have a 4GB. Ah well.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM
i liek turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
Relatedly, the specs came out for Wolfenstein II, and I'm a video card short of hitting the "Recommended" settings. I'm good to go with everything else, but I need a 6GB card where I have a 4GB. Ah well.
*3.5GB
Emerald: i7-2600k @ 4.6 GHz, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT DDR3-1866, MSI GeForce GTX 970 100ME, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750
Old 10-24-2017, 11:54 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
*3.5GB
Hahahahah!!!! I'm actually surprised you remember that!

Old 10-24-2017, 12:41 PM
TROLOLO

So I can't remember what I've posted here about this problem in the past, but I'll do a recap:

For the last several months to a year, I've had nagging instability issues with the current iteration of the NoxBox. Most notably, upon power-on from a cold state I would see things like freezing at the Windows 10 login screen or just after logging in, or other odd behavior that would seemingly vanish after just a few minutes of run time. I never could pin it down and truthfully it was so random and sporadic I didn't care to - sometimes it would go weeks without a problem.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I did the ol' "♫♪ Backup, Format, Reinstall... doo-dah, doo-dah ♪♫" dance for the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update. Ever since then the problems have gotten worse - I even had total system freezes right after installing Windows during driver installations. I'd tried pinning it on various things - I even thought it was the Realtek HD audio drivers for about a day. As I said, VERY hard to pin down.

One of the suspects I've had bouncing up and down in that corner of my mind is my 6+ year old Corsair TX 750 v2. I got this PSU back in mid 2011 which in itself was a warranty replacement for an original TX 750 that the fan died on. With it being as old as it is I've long suspected that it might be providing unstable power - and that suspicion seems bolstered by the fact that the problems are worse when the machine has been sitting for awhile and is powered on from a stone cold state.

So early last Saturday morning I set about pulling my case apart (and I mean that, it's a Thermaltake Core v21 MicroATX cube case, you have to pull stuff apart to do anything) and replacing the tired Corsair TX 750 v2 with a spare PSU to see what would happen. I just so happen to have (AT LEAST) three OEM Seasonic S12 650 watt PSUs in the garage stash. I bought these last year during an insane deal where a liquidation house on Ebay was selling new system pulls for $25 each. Extremely solid units although based on a 10+ year old group regulated platform - in fact they're quite similar internally to the Corsair TX 750 v2 which is also Seasonic built. So into the machine one of those spares went! Since then I have tested the everloving hell out of the machine and not seen a single damned problem. It's absolutely rock solid and reliable.

Now I could really just leave well enough alone and keep using this OEM Seasonic S12. Even though it's based on an older group regulated platform it's still rock solid and proven, so much so that it was used for the basis of at least 6 different products from Seasonic themselves, and also rebranded and used in highly rated PSUs from XFX, EVGA, BFG, Corsair, etc and variations were sold up until a few years ago. But if I'm going to have a nice looking case with a window and (somewhat) current generation components, I don't want to stare at a grey steel OEM power supply with unsleeved cables.

So this should be here later today via Amazon's same day courier:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although I really REALLY wanted one of Seasonic's "PRIME" lineup of power supplies, the mid range "FOCUS" is still super highly rated, fully modular, and has a 10 (yes, TEN) year warranty. It's only 650w versus the 750w of the TX 750v2 I've been using the last 6+ years, but oh well. Truth be told I'd be surprised if my rig could use 400 watts when the CPU and GPU are fully loaded and overclocked.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:23 PM
i liek turtles

See, that sort of thing worries me because my Corsair AX750 is about the same age. It's taking everything I throw at it, though, so I don't see why I should worry at this time...
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM
i liek turtles

I've added a keyboard/mouse display to my stream. It's basically the left half of a keyboard (FPS style) and a mouse. The mouse registers all clicks/scrolls, and displays the direction/magnitude of the movements. It's really cool
Old 10-25-2017, 08:31 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 AM
TROLOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
Someone commented about this on one of my more recent NFS:U gameplay videos, I definitely need to check it out!