GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > Geek Speak

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
rjg_scotland

Default RE an old thread: Kingston KNS1650R switch util

Hi,

This is a bit of an odd one so here goes...

So as not to be rude barging in on the forum I'll briefly tell you that my names Rob and I'm a student from Edinburgh, Scotland.

I aquired an old network switch off a friend recently who couldn't get it working, it's a Kingston KNS2450R. It can be configured over parallel connection with proprietary software. It seems to me that it may be in some funky VLAN setup at the moment so I need to reset it back to normal for it to (hopefully) be any use - it'd be a shame to bin it as it could be useful for LAN parties and such like as I only have a small 8 port switch. (ok that's a lie I have a couple 24 port managed 3coms... but they're 10Mbit!) So, why am I here you may ask? Well, this forum is one of the basically two main hits (other than manuals) about this utility. It seems to be impossible to find on the web. A couple years ago Kingston would still email you the utility if you asked them. Not so now - they take a firm "not supported" attitude.

Anyway a couple years ago there was a "What's On Your Desktop" thread on this forum. By chance a poster mentioned two icons, one was the manual for his switch and the other was the zip file containing the utility. To my dismay it seems your archive has been removed since I first looked at the thread a couple weeks back so I can't trace the original poster to see if they're still active on here. If you check this google result you can still see the result for the thread:

Quote:
What's On your Desktop [Archive] - GameBeat Community
KNS1650R.pdf is the user's manual for a Kingston switch, setup.zip is the configuration utility for said switch. I fucking love Kingston, they sent me the ...
http://www.gamebeat.net/forum/archiv...php/t-338.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
Anyway the main point in this thread is a few things: 1. the original poster might see it, 2. someone might remember who the original poster was or 3. an admin may have access to the archive still.

If anyone can help me it'd be much appreciated - I've sent a message to someone on another forum where it was mentioned but I've had no luck yet.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob
Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

You know, I'm pretty sure that user was evildre... he's an administrator here at GameBeat and he also has a knack for hanging on to old stuff... so he might just have your utility! You should send him a PM!

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 PM
rjg_scotland

Thanks Nox, I'll give it a go and keep the thread updated as to how I get on.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
i liek turtles

Holy poop on a stick, here's something I never thought I'd see again!

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I unfortunately no longer have the utility. I had it at my previous place of employment and, while the company itself is still around, the computer I used while I was employed there is not.

Interestingly enough, I tripped over the very KNS1650R I mentioned in the post you happened to find this afternoon -- it stopped working about 6 months ago.

Wish I could be of more assistance, and Nox definitely pegged me correctly as a pack-rat, but this is one thing I unfortunately haven't kept around.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 PM
rjg_scotland

Ah that's a shame. Oh well! Thanks a lot for your help anyway guys

Out of interest, in what way did it stop working? Not power on? Mine whirrs into life and lights up great and LEDs come on when you plug cables in and flash, but I just can't get inter-port communication!

I've PM'd someone over on dslreports.com who also managed to get the utility by contacting kingston - he's my last hope! (Please for god sake don't say that's you!)
Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
i liek turtles

No, I'm not on dslreports.com .... but I did email Kingston just after posting my response above

The switch stopped powering on altogether after a power failure at my parents' house (I personally have no need for a 16-port switch, but they have a ton of stuff on their network) ... no lights, no fan, nothing. I opened it up and saw a whole bunch of leaky electrolytic capacitors.

I replaced the Kingston 16-port box with a little Linksys gigabit dumb switch. That works quite well ...

<edit> Ooh, there's an article with pictures of the leaky caps! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 PM
rjg_scotland

Heh, I've seen plenty of blown capacitors In fact, in high school we used to deliberately make them explode with a satisfying BANG and a smell of peanut butter (no joke) by attaching them reverse polarity direct to a 12v (or more) power supply! It's no wonder my Tech Studies teacher hated me so much... Anyway the capacitors seem alright in mine - I had it open looking for some sort of reset jumper.

What have you emailed Kingston about? The utility? I found it a nightmare to try to find a support email address (the online form makes you pick a supported product) and ended up emailing a sales address asking them to pass it to support, who fobbed me off quickly saying they don't support their networking products any more. I suspect there's someone, somewhere at Kingston who has a copy, it's just a case of tracking them down!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg_scotland View Post
Heh, I've seen plenty of blown capacitors In fact, in high school we used to deliberately make them explode with a satisfying BANG and a smell of peanut butter (no joke) by attaching them reverse polarity direct to a 12v (or more) power supply! It's no wonder my Tech Studies teacher hated me so much... Anyway the capacitors seem alright in mine - I had it open looking for some sort of reset jumper.
When I was in electronics school one of my instructors was a sadistic SOB who would wait until the room was absolutely silent with people working on their projects, then he would apply reverse polarity to an 'lytic cap causing it to explode with a loud POW and would scare the crap out of all of us. I freakin' HATED that.

He'd also sneak around with a good sized electrolytic cap and a battery and go around zapping unsuspecting students on the back of the neck. Bastard...

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 PM
rjg_scotland

Hahaha... OK me and that guy have something in common then as I once made a device to shock people out of a camera flash charging circuit! :P I even built a nice pronged handheld thing to go with it... I'm sure I have a picture or video of it being discharged still. IIRC, being the nice boy I was, I first tried it on my poor sister... Seems such a long time ago now!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM
i liek turtles

Well, it was a long shot, but I think I have it!

Please give this a go: http://www.evildre.com/files/kingston/setup.zip

Tags
kingston, kns1650r, switch util