GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 11-16-2017, 10:31 PM
i liek turtles

I'm streaming BL2 at the moment. Ran into a bug during Grandma Flexington's Story: Raid Difficulty, which caused the second tribute to despawn before I could kill him. Had to start it over on stream.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.4 + Proxmox VE
Old 11-17-2017, 10:40 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
I'm streaming BL2 at the moment. Ran into a bug during Grandma Flexington's Story: Raid Difficulty, which caused the second tribute to despawn before I could kill him. Had to start it over on stream.
I really need to do some more livestreaming and refine my whole setup, plus switch to Twitch. I've been so busy with Real Life shit the last couple of weeks I haven't had any time for gaming whatsoever. Story of my life. Fuck, I spend at least two hours every morning on the bike. 22 3/4 miles this morning, 10.89mph average speed... I want that average speed up to 11 goddammit!

There was also the whole killing of my poor 6700k that derailed all my gaming big time.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 11-17-2017, 06:33 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

I'm thinking of ending a longstanding tradition with my personal rig and breaking down my SSD RAID0 array - just using the two 500GB Samsung 850 EVOs as single drives.

Although I love having one big mass of striped super fast storage, the speed advantage of RAID0 when using SSDs is pretty much only noticeable in benchmarks. Add to that the fact that without RAID in the way as a separation layer between the drives and the OS, I can use Samsung's Magician software and it does some fancy things like enable you to use system RAM as super fast cache for the SSDs, and the overall performance might blow past the RAID0 setup anyway.

It's not a decision I've fully committed to yet, but I'm pondering...

Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 PM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
I'm thinking of ending a longstanding tradition with my personal rig and breaking down my SSD RAID0 array - just using the two 500GB Samsung 850 EVOs as single drives.

Although I love having one big mass of striped super fast storage, the speed advantage of RAID0 when using SSDs is pretty much only noticeable in benchmarks. Add to that the fact that without RAID in the way as a separation layer between the drives and the OS, I can use Samsung's Magician software and it does some fancy things like enable you to use system RAM as super fast cache for the SSDs, and the overall performance might blow past the RAID0 setup anyway.

It's not a decision I've fully committed to yet, but I'm pondering...
It doesn't do that anymore, they neutered it

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Old 11-18-2017, 09:05 AM
i liek turtles

I've got a pair of 250GB Evos in RAID 0 on my work PC as a secondary storage device. I've got a local MSSQL 2017 Developer Edition instance on the box and am using the RAID for the transaction logs and tempdb files. There's a RAID 1 of two 6TB WD Reds that's used for the data files. I've also got a single 500GB Evo as the boot volume and a 480GB Kingston SSDNow V3 as a standalone data storage volume that I use for VMs.

The RAIDs are set up using Storage Spaces, since they're not on the same controller. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 mobo, which has two 6Gbps SATA ports on the Intel chipset and six 6Gbps SATA ports (four internal, two eSATA), and I wanted everything on 6Gbps for its obvious performance benefits over 3Gbps (of which there are 4 on the Intel chipset), and I'd rather use Storage Spaces than the Marvell RAID BIOS.

I really wanted to set up tiered Storage Spaces, which can be accomplished via PowerShell cmdlets in Windows 10 (up to and including build 1709); however, that setup isn't fully supported, and I'd rather use something that is. I also wanted the ability to switch to ReFS if I really wanted to, as it has some VHDX-specific optimizations for the VMs; however, because it doesn't handle sparse files very well, it's useless for MSSQL databases, which can get sparse after an auto-growth operation.

What I'm getting at is that there are better options than Samsung RAPID mode. I have a ton of RAM in my office workstation -- 64GB -- but I'd rather use tiered storage spaces for this sort of thing, which is really only possible/supported in practice with Windows Server 2016. I'm running Intel Smart Response on my home PC, which carves out an up-to-64GB portion of a SSD and puts it in front of another volume as cache. While I am indeed using 3Gbps SATA for the two 6TB spinners in RAID 1 in my system, the fact that my boot volume is on 6Gbps SATA actually improves performance extremely significantly, as anything I copy or move from C: to D: is simply copied or moved to different memory cells in the same SSD and then lazy-written to the HDDs, with portions left in the 64GB partition (which, by the way, is completely hidden from the OS) as cache for frequently-accessed data. This is indeed implemented in software, but isn't subject to the bugs and such that Samsung introduced when Windows 10 was first released that caused RAPID mode to either suck or stop working altogether.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.4 + Proxmox VE
Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 AM
i liek turtles

Adam took Mario and me to see Justice League yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of superheroes but this was a pretty fun movie. Perhaps my standards are lower than the fans' or critics', though. Also, IMAX is the shit.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:11 AM
TROLOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
I really wanted to set up tiered Storage Spaces, which can be accomplished via PowerShell cmdlets in Windows 10 (up to and including build 1709); however, that setup isn't fully supported, and I'd rather use something that is. I also wanted the ability to switch to ReFS if I really wanted to, as it has some VHDX-specific optimizations for the VMs; however, because it doesn't handle sparse files very well, it's useless for MSSQL databases, which can get sparse after an auto-growth operation.

What I'm getting at is that there are better options than Samsung RAPID mode. I have a ton of RAM in my office workstation -- 64GB -- but I'd rather use tiered storage spaces for this sort of thing, which is really only possible/supported in practice with Windows Server 2016. I'm running Intel Smart Response on my home PC, which carves out an up-to-64GB portion of a SSD and puts it in front of another volume as cache. While I am indeed using 3Gbps SATA for the two 6TB spinners in RAID 1 in my system, the fact that my boot volume is on 6Gbps SATA actually improves performance extremely significantly, as anything I copy or move from C: to D: is simply copied or moved to different memory cells in the same SSD and then lazy-written to the HDDs, with portions left in the 64GB partition (which, by the way, is completely hidden from the OS) as cache for frequently-accessed data. This is indeed implemented in software, but isn't subject to the bugs and such that Samsung introduced when Windows 10 was first released that caused RAPID mode to either suck or stop working altogether.
I'd forgotten all about Intel SRT .... hmm... That might come in handy with the HTPC rebuild I'm planning soon. Get a cheap low capacity SSD and use it in conjunction with a spinner.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 PM
teh gun geek

Switched to T-MOBILE and an iPhone 8 Plus yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Old 11-19-2017, 08:49 PM
i liek turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by runt View Post
Switched to T-MOBILE and an iPhone 8 Plus yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice. Not gonna lie, the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge soured me on the flagship non-Nexus/Pixel Android phone experience. The LG V20 and G6 are (were?) flagships in their own rights, but ... it's just not the same as it used to be. I considered the iPhone 8 really heavily when I was ditching the S7.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:58 PM
TROLOLO

I am still loving my G6... halfway done paying it off via the Amazon monthly payout plan.

I'll love it even more when they push Oreo OTA since the battery life should get even better. But even on Nougat it's pretty sweet.

In an ideal world I'd unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP, and then LineageOS - but the Lineage port isn't quite as stable or mature as I'd like for a daily driver.