GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > Gaming

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
It seems like January is DLC month.

Duke Nukem Forever: The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC
Well, it's better than the base game, I'll give it that. The driving sections were better, the puzzles were better, the dialog was still pure Duke (with the dumb stuff said by other characters), and we even got to see some naked tits, because why not. As far as what was wrong with the game, some of the puzzles were kind of unnecessary (whoops, now you're shrunk to miniature size!), and Duke kept losing his weapons for no real reason between a couple of scenes.

It's a nice little diversion after what we got for DNF, and if you bought DNF, this is worth picking up (on sale!)... but if you don't own any of the current iteration, it's not worth the price unless you can grab the whole shebang for about $5.
Gah, I actually own DNF.... not by choice though. It game with the 'Balls of Steel' edition Geforce GTX 560 I bought awhile back.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:05 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Eh, a free copy of DNF isn't a bad thing. I'd play through it once just to say you did, but there's not really much there for more than one run.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 01-26-2014, 02:19 AM
HERP DERKEN!

January is definitely DLC Month.

Dead Space 3: Awakened
This.

This is what I want.

Sure it's mostly action, but damnit, they did it right. It's just Isaac and Carver, getting their heads fucked with for a couple of hours while they figure out how they survived and finding a way back to Earth. It's simple, short, with a healthy amount of necromorphs, zealots, hallucinations, and infighting. Plus Dat Ending. It's a bargain at $5, so if you have DS3, I absolutely recommend it.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Crysis 2: Maximum Edition
I play this game, and I'm reminded of Doom 3. Not because their plots are similar, but because they're mostly tech demos for the engine that's running them. Crysis 2 looks great, CryEngine 3 is nice... but otherwise? The game is aggressively mediocre. It's not bad, but it's certainly not burning the place down with it's awesomeness.

The story isn't bad, your character is a Marine that's rescued from an Op gone wrong by a Corporate Black Ops dude, who's dying and gives you his Super-Special-Awesome Power Suit. He's dying see, and therefore you need to be him and finish his assignment of whatever-the-fuck. Which means in addition to the standard military weapons, you can become invisible, use super-speed, or have super-strength. But of course to prevent this from breaking the game, the suit has a battery that runs down when you use any of your abilities. It automatically recharges if you give it a moment, but imagine having to do that in every firefight you inevitably have to engage in.

Oh also there's aliens, because it's CryTek, and they love aliens. The amusing thing to me was that the non-suit-powered soldiers would actually put up a decent fight against said aliens. Every so often I'd see a corpse of an alien that I didn't kill, and I knew it was alive beforehand. Because really, the guns you use in the game are standard military stuff (pistols, shotguns, ARs, grenades, C4, grenades and rocket launchers), so it's no surprise that humanity is putting up a decent fight. And if they are, why the hell do we need a suit? That's a good question, and one I don't have an answer to. I mean sure, I can punch one of those aliens to death (usually in one or two hits), but it's easier to just use a shotty. Anyway, I haven't actually beaten it yet, but I'm definitely late game, where "the truth" inevitably comes out, and everyone (apparently) is double-crossing everyone else for better or worse, and it's coming off as the writers trying too hard.

I'm not too keen on finishing it, but like I said, it's not a bad game, so I'll plow through to the end. Maybe that will have something awesome in it. Probably not.

edit: The suit has nanomachines which work like a virus to kill the aliens on the cellular level. Okay then.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:09 PM
HERP DERKEN!

I totally forgot this particular piece of DLC was inbound, but now that it's out, I downloaded/played it.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea, Part Two
I liked the sneaking mechanics, they were fairly well done. In addition, the powerset that Elizabeth has worked well with the sneaking, so you could absolutely go the whole game without killing anyone. The catch of course, is that knocking people out was still required, so you inevitably left lots of bodies in your wake, whether they were asleep or "asleep". And there definitely is (or at least was in my case) a blatant abuse of mechanics to get the job done.

As far as the story goes... it wasn't bad. There's a lot there as far as easter eggs and clarity to various points in the base game (as well as the previous iterations), so that's nice. If you want my spoilery impression of the DLC:

Spoiler:
That was a lot of work to make Infinite a prequel.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:25 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Medal of Honor Single Player
It's odd, the SP and MP portions are separated in the Library, instead of being a single game with both options in a menu.

That said, this is a kind of game I like, apparently. The game is squad-based goal-oriented MP, but unlike say... Counter-Strike or Mass Effect, you're a member of the team and not the leader. What this means is that you're not giving jobs to your squadmates, and they're actually competent on their own. You still absolutely have a job to do, and the game won't progress without it, but it's nice not having to be the only with the cross to bear. Of course, this game is the precursor to the modern Battlefields and Call of Duties, so it's set in modern day, but the SP portion isn't the script from an action movie. It's a lot of fighting in the dirt, taking hills, clearing tunnels, and that sort of thing; just realistic enough to be believable. Another thing I liked was that while you didn't play the same character throughout the game, every squad you were in was a tight-knit group, so there was just enough there to get you invested. And I got to do a metric fuckton of sniping, so that helps.

The one thing I didn't like about it (well two, I guess if you want to be technical) was the length and the health stat. I beat the SP campaign in just over 4 hours; that's not a lot of time to spend running around in a game like this. Though I will admit I haven't tried the "Tier One" section of the game, that may have a bit more in the way of SP goods. The only other thing was that this game has the "no health bar and regenerating health", but it wasn't as annoying to me as it has been in other games; maybe I'm just getting used to it.

But yeah, if you picked this up in the Humble Origin Bundle, it's worth a play, but otherwise, I probably wouldn't spend more than $10 on it. MP could be an entirely different story (and make the game worth more), but the game came out in 2010; if anyone is still playing it... they are vastly better than you are now. That, of course can go either way for a newbie.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:58 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Apologies for not updating this in a month and a half, but I've been caught between Borderlands 2 Headhunter Packs and Final Fantasy XIV, with this past week devoted to Saints Row IV. So, why not, let's review some of this stuff.

Borderlands 2: Headhunter Packs
These are all sold separately, but I'm reviewing them together because REASONS. There are five in total, each one being a short mission focusing around one holiday with one main "Narrator". First up is Halloween starring TK Baha, then Thanksgiving starring Mr. Torgue, then Christmas Mercenary Day with Marcus, Valentine's Day with Moxxi, and wrapping it up with Easter/Spring Break with Sir Hammerlock.

The dialog is amusing (though Marcus fell a little flat to me), and there's even dialog spoken by the current batch of Vault Hunters, fleshing them out a bit more. Each pack also has a bit of a "Raid Boss" where you can run multiple times to get that particular holiday-themed skins for your (and all the other) VHs from BL2.

So yeah, if you liked BL2 then it's worth it to you to grab these because they are infinitely fun.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:17 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Final Fantasy XIV
I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy, and I'm not a fan of MMOs. So why the hell am I playing a game that is a hybrid of the two?

Because it's fun.

FF14 launched to much fanfare a few years ago... and then basically got railed against by everyone who played it. The game was horrible, the market boards/auction house was crappily organized, glitches everywhere... after the initial month, Square Enix started hemorrhaging members every month that it was possible to. It got bad enough that SE decided to stop charging people to play the game, fire the entire staff that had developed it, and start (almost) from scratch. wHile the servers were kept online, and then-current players were allowed to play, SE started revamping the game from the word go, tweaking this, adjusting that, and in some cases, redesigning dungeons and quests to make the experience better. Eventually they relaunched the game as "Final Fantasy XIV 2.0: A Realm Reborn" to much fanfare and... everyone loved it. Players came back in droves, and new players (such as myself) flocked to them as well just to see what the hubbub was about.

Well, for one, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. The character creator gives you an option to be one of five races, Hyur/Human, Elezen/Elves, Mi'quote/Cat-people, Lalafels/Midgets, and Roegadyn/Giants (each having two sub-races AND both Male and Female genders), along with being able to pick such things as height, muscle definition, eye color, skin tone, tail length (if you have one), hair style, facial structure, and the like. Females even get a Boob Slider if you feel the need to get extra jiggly, or prefer a more streamlined look.

The gameplay obviously depends on which of the 8 (initial) classes you choose. I say "initial" for two reasons. Every Class, when properly leveled turns into a Job; and I don't mean in a grindy sort of way, but in the "I know WTF I'm doing" way. In order to unlock a Job, you need to get your primary class to 30, but also a sub-class to 15. Those of you familiar with MMOs know what I'm talking about (I hope?). There's also a tertiary class that you can pull skills from, but that's not a requirement for the Job.

As an example, I started as a Marauder. They swing a big fuck-off axe; however at 30, they have the option to become a Warrior (who also swings a big fuck-off axe), but they need to get the Gladiator class (sword and shield) to 15 first. It's also recommended you level Pugilist (fisticuffs!) as the tertiary, which I did a little, but whatever. Though this brings me to one of the negatives of the game; there's only so many missions you can run before you run out of XP. Don't get me wrong, you can run Dungeons until you're blue in the face, and there's also class-specific Hunting Logs, and level-appropriate Levequests (never-disappearing missions), as well as FATEs (random spawn kill fests in the world), so there are ways to level up characters... but yes, it does feel a bit grindy at times.

But in the interests of making this a fleshed out world, you don't have to kill things or heal things in order to have a good time. There are also crafting and gathering classes, such as Blacksmiths, Culinarians, Botanists, and Miners. And of course any character you make can be any class (provided you have at least one class at Lv10), all they have to do to change classes is to equip that class's primary tool, whether it's a big fuck-off axe, a frying pan, a magic wand, a book, or whatever that class requires.

So I briefly touched on one of the negatives (some grinding), so let's cover the other ones. Well for one, this is a social game. Any dungeon you want to run has to be done in a party. The upside is that there's an app for that. You open the Duty Finder, select the dungeon (or multiples) you want to run, and the DF takes that information, as well as your current class, and finds other people that fit the missing classes (from both your server and across all servers) that also want to run the same dungeons so you can run the instance as soon as possible. This makes the game less painful, but sometimes the DF can't find people immediately, so you have to wait. Thankfully it doesn't stop you from playing the game, you just can't immediately jump into the dungeon. And of course if you party up first, the less need for the DF to do it's thing is required.

The other irritating thing is the fact that since it IS an MMO, there's a monthly fee. Now it's "only" $12/month, which isn't too bad, but it's something to think about. Thankfully the game comes with a free month to help you decide if you want to keep playing. The main story itself is kind of lackluster, in so far as it's kind of the generic take on a Hero's Journey, but there are moments that are fun. This is where the aforementioned social aspect comes in, because who doesn't want to kill evangelions with their friends?

There's also a PvP arena, but I don't do PvP, so fuck it.

But yeah, I do recommend the game, but not as a Must Play. It's enjoyable enough, the classes/jobs are fun, running dungeons can be fun, but you gotta pay to keep playing.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Hotline Miami
I don't really know how to describe this game, so let's start with it's entry on Wikipedia:

Quote:
Hotline Miami is a 2D top-down action video game by Dennaton Games, a team composed of Jonatan Söderström and Dennis Wedin. The game was published by Devolver Digital and released on October 23, 2012 for Microsoft Windows. The game has been described by Eurogamer as "a top-down f***-'em-up", blending top down perspective with stealth, extreme violence and surreal storytelling, along with a soundtrack and visuals influenced by 1980s culture. The game itself was influenced in part by Nicolas Winding Refn's 2011 neo-noir crime drama film Drive, as well as Cocaine Cowboys; Refn is specifically thanked in the game's credits, and the game even features a similar "Driver" jacket lying on the floor in several levels.
Basically the game is weird, fucked up, addicting, violent, bloody (for 8-bit), kind of nonsensical, and kind of a blast. Admittedly, I've only put in about an hour at this point, but man, what an hour it was. I'll definitely be going back for more. Even the soundtrack is pretty good, and it's all 80s-style synthesizers and whatnot.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:06 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Saints Row IV (Part Two)
Hooooly shit.

Where I left off was about mid-game, but before anything "big" happened. I mean sure, an alien invasion is big news, but that's just the main plot. I'm, of course, talking about the sudden-yet-inevitable mid-game twist... and what a twist it was!

I'm not going to spoil it for everyone, but man, after that, the story really kicks into gear and it's a solid ride straight through to the end. You even find out the identity of our unknown narrator, which doesn't disappoint. And lemme say, it doesn't go anachronistic with it's choices like BioShock Infinite does, but every single licensed song in the game (heck, the series) is well-chosen, and gets a solid laugh out of me. To use an example from SR3, the final battle has you rushing to save your friends... the song playing? Bonnie Tyler's "I Need A Hero".

Though I have to say, even though this is probably a bit of a spoiler (if you haven't watched any trailers) this is probably one of my favorite moments in the game:

So yeah, definitely worth picking up, so if you did so in the recently-finished Steam Sale... Go Team!