GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 03-11-2018, 03:43 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
At the moment I'm updating the RetroPie box. It's taking a while.
LOLOLz.... ours is still sitting in it's original box, untouched, as it has been for like two years now.

It's one of those uber nice Vilros RetroPie kits too...

The plan was / is to find an old arcade cabinet (or build something) and put it in it. I just never seem to have the time.

I really need to unbox the kit and do a youtube video on it.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 03-11-2018, 04:10 PM
teh gun geek

I'm considering putting my old UniFi AP (N, 100MB LAN) back into service just for home automation stuff. I'm using Home Assistant
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1525 ($1000 with sales)
  • Games owned: 358
  • Games played: 124 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 875.6h
Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM
i liek turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
LOLOLz.... ours is still sitting in it's original box, untouched, as it has been for like two years now.

It's one of those uber nice Vilros RetroPie kits too...

The plan was / is to find an old arcade cabinet (or build something) and put it in it. I just never seem to have the time.

I really need to unbox the kit and do a youtube video on it.
Shoot, I bought a CanaKit one and 3D printed a box that looks like the old NES, complete with the flip-up lid https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:449877

I'm still on Raspbian Jessie on that one, though. Don't think an in-place upgrade to Stretch is a thing, though.

<edit> Also, I wanted to apply updates and stuff to Julie's laptop, but for some reason it stopped connecting to Wi-Fi automatically. She's on Windows 10, so I just did a refresh while preserving her files. Now I'm reinstalling all of the apps using Chocolatey (Windows saved a list of removed apps to her desktop before reinstalling itself), and throwing Office 2016 on there as well using Office 365 click-to-run.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 03-12-2018, 06:51 PM
i liek turtles

Thinking.

I want to run Pi-Hole, but I have a bunch of hardware lying around so I don't necessarily want to buy a Raspberry Pi for the job. I've also been wanting to get the Plex library off my PC for a while now. So ... after building a machine out of spare parts, do I:
  • Install ESXi on the hardware and build two separate VMs for Pi-Hole and Plex
  • Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on the hardware and run Plex and Pi-Hole in Docker (binding them to either separate subinterfaces or separate physical interfaces because they don't play nice)
  • Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on the hardware and run Plex and Pi-Hole natively (doing that subinterface/physical interface binding thing again)
  • Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Plex on the hardware, and install Pi-Hole under Hyper-V
  • Do some other thing like "use Ubuntu 16.04 on the hardware and use KVM/Xen to virtualize the other stuff"

I'm leaning toward the ESXi thing because it seems simplest of all this nonsense.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 03-12-2018, 07:40 PM
teh gun geek

Or just run both on a subunit 16.04 install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++

Old 03-12-2018, 07:53 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Thinking.

I want to run Pi-Hole, but I have a bunch of hardware lying around so I don't necessarily want to buy a Raspberry Pi for the job. I've also been wanting to get the Plex library off my PC for a while now. So ... after building a machine out of spare parts, do I:
  • Install ESXi on the hardware and build two separate VMs for Pi-Hole and Plex
  • Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on the hardware and run Plex and Pi-Hole in Docker (binding them to either separate subinterfaces or separate physical interfaces because they don't play nice)
  • Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on the hardware and run Plex and Pi-Hole natively (doing that subinterface/physical interface binding thing again)
  • Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Plex on the hardware, and install Pi-Hole under Hyper-V
  • Do some other thing like "use Ubuntu 16.04 on the hardware and use KVM/Xen to virtualize the other stuff"

I'm leaning toward the ESXi thing because it seems simplest of all this nonsense.
Good God, this post just totally slams home how far out of date I am on virtualization technology and the associated terminology.

Ahem.... anyway....

I'm fighting a major major bout of depression. Weighed today and I'm 298 and change. That's a 15 pound gain over my lowest which was right before Thanksgiving. I saw that number on the scale and it was like someone punched me right in the stomach.

I keep telling myself a million things, that I have a million reasons not to worry and a million valid excuses for what a huge fucking failure I am. But it's not helping. I'm about to hit the liquor cabinet. Tonight. Very hard. I'll probably be sorry tomorrow. Maybe not.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:17 PM
i liek turtles

Man, if you've gone up 15 pounds over the winter you're doing awesome. I also went up 15 pounds this winter, which is highly disappointing because I actually kept up with my damn gym visits! Hell, today's run was a right pain in the dick, and I didn't even have any form of good feeling when it was over. See, you're still focused on the downward trend. Don't let a little bump in the road get you down. Just look at how far you've come, take this as an oops, and move on.

At least, that's how I'd look at it. At the moment I have a net gain of 10 pounds since Thanksgiving -- the downward trend just started for me again, but when I lose that next 10 I'll get stuck and won't know what the hell to do, since those other 23 pounds I want gone will simply not come off.

Anyway ... the virtualization thing. Probably not going to be ESXi because I don't have any RAID cards and don't necessarily want to spend any money on one Perhaps I'll just use Proxmox, which is based on Debian so it can do all the Debian things, including mdadm. Yeah yeah, software RAID, but at least Proxmox will recognize it.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:00 PM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Man, if you've gone up 15 pounds over the winter you're doing awesome. I also went up 15 pounds this winter, which is highly disappointing because I actually kept up with my damn gym visits! Hell, today's run was a right pain in the dick, and I didn't even have any form of good feeling when it was over. See, you're still focused on the downward trend. Don't let a little bump in the road get you down. Just look at how far you've come, take this as an oops, and move on.

At least, that's how I'd look at it. At the moment I have a net gain of 10 pounds since Thanksgiving -- the downward trend just started for me again, but when I lose that next 10 I'll get stuck and won't know what the hell to do, since those other 23 pounds I want gone will simply not come off.

Anyway ... the virtualization thing. Probably not going to be ESXi because I don't have any RAID cards and don't necessarily want to spend any money on one Perhaps I'll just use Proxmox, which is based on Debian so it can do all the Debian things, including mdadm. Yeah yeah, software RAID, but at least Proxmox will recognize it.
Proxmox also supports ZFS, so it has that going.

Nox, I actually have a wishlist going for bike parts for my birthday. http://a.co/8e0BOiv

Old 03-13-2018, 03:36 PM
i liek turtles

Okay ... I've cobbled together a shitload of parts and I'm going to get Proxmox going as soon as I verify that the UPS in the basement can handle it. It's the Asrock Z68 board with the i7-2600k, because it has four 6 Gbps SATA ports. The integrated NIC doesn't work, so I threw a PCI and a PCI Express NIC into it.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:47 PM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Okay ... I've cobbled together a shitload of parts and I'm going to get Proxmox going as soon as I verify that the UPS in the basement can handle it. It's the Asrock Z68 board with the i7-2600k, because it has four 6 Gbps SATA ports. The integrated NIC doesn't work, so I threw a PCI and a PCI Express NIC into it.
You know, if you want I have a HP P410 256MB card I can part with cheap. I have the SAS to SATA breakout cable and a BBU that is currently waiting on a 4xAAA holder to refurb.