GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 02-17-2018, 01:11 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Cheap case deals at Newegg, each one of these is $10 after rebate card:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...37&SID=rewrite

I like the first one because it has a window and two sets of two USB ports (2x3.0, 2x2.0), but the second one has somewhat better cooling possibilities.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:32 PM
i liek turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
Cheap case deals at Newegg, each one of these is $10 after rebate card:

I like the first one because it has a window and two sets of two USB ports (2x3.0, 2x2.0), but the second one has somewhat better cooling possibilities.
NICE, I might have to snag one of those so I can put my ol' Z68 Micro ATX board in there and make a desktop for Mario.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 PM
i liek turtles

At the moment I'm looking for a delta 3D printer with either a 3 in 1 out or 5 in 1 out extrusion head, auto-leveling, and a heated build plate. I don't want to get something that would need to be modified to support that, I want that out of the box, even if assembly is required.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Getting ready to put together a second personal rig for me. This is a landmark occasion, I don't think in 25+ years of being in computers I've ever actually owned two machines for personal use. At least not two fairly powerful ones. Getting ready to build this:

Core i5 2500k
Dell Vostro 260 / Inspiron 620 motherboard (It's the only cheap mATX 1155 board I could get hold of)
2x4GB DDR3
1x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
1x 2TB Seagate mechanical HDD
Either a Geforce GTX 780 or a GTX 660
Either a PCIE Sound Blaster Z, or a PCIE Sound Blaster X-Fi
Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB 240 CLC / AIO cooler

All of this will go into another Thermaltake Core v21 chassis, just like my main rig. That way I can stack them on top of each other.

I will eventually need to get myself an HDMI switch or even a KVM to make full use of this setup. Like I said earlier I plan to offload video rendering duties to this second machine so I can free up the CPU and GPU on my main rig.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM
TROLOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by runt View Post
You shouldn't have to pay for a Plex Pass just to stream on Android. You should only have to pay if you want sync from your server to phone (I pay for said pass just for that).
You do as far as I can figure out... the Plex app wants you to either get a Plex Pass or pay a separate fee in order to play stuff in the app. Without doing either of those it will only play for like 2 minutes and then kick you out of whatever video you're watching.

Like I said, luckily VLC for Android 'sees' the Plex server on my network (I guess that's the whole DLNA end of things) and works fantastic.

I need to spend some time configuring Plex though, I want it to transcode all the time even to machines on the local network - for reasons. Mainly because some appliances on the network can't play certain files natively (like our Dish Network Hopper / Joey setup). I'm pretty sure if Plex was transcoding it all they'd all play perfectly (or I suppose there's a chance that then nothing would play at all lol).

Old 02-21-2018, 09:18 PM
i liek turtles

Got my tempered glass side panel, LED strips, and additional fan. This computer is the very definition of violently green. It assaults your retinas, to the point that you can't see colors correctly for a few seconds after looking at it, and you can't take a proper picture of it without a shit-ton of blown-out highlights.

It is amazing.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 PM
teh gun geek

Ordered a wall higher extension cord, a pair of Sonof in line smart switches, a Topeak phone case and bike mount and a new mouth guard for Heidi today. We put a new dresser I. The boys room and it is really close to the outlet. And the lamp on it has an I love e switch thy is hard as hell to use hence the Sonof device. As for the phone case, itís for when I start biking to from home -> train -> office and office -> train -> home in the summer. And Heidi grinds her teeth badly at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1525 ($1000 with sales)
  • Games owned: 358
  • Games played: 124 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 875.6h
Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 PM
i liek turtles

I fixed the tablet, but I didn't have the right adhesive and the stuff I used is ever so slightly too thick. I've ordered up a case for it that's sort of OtterBox-ish but not freakin' $80 like a proper OtterBox would be.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:01 AM
TROLOLO

God damn Dell. Damn them to hell.

So I got the frankenputer built using the Dell Vostro 260 / Inspiron 620 motherboard. I tried installing Windows 10 Pro and Home, thinking the previous owner might have done the update over the Windows 7 Pro that said machines shipped with. No dice, no activation.

So the next step would be to install Windows 7 Professional and do the update to Windows 10... but no dice there either. Windows 7 activations on Dell machines were done via a generic key tied to Dell machines using special install media. Install media which is apparently next to impossible to get hold of.

Dell has their own 'OS disk image downloader' but it asks for a service tag, and every time I enter the service tag for this mobo it spits out a message saying there is no install media disk image available for this machine. WELL FUCK.

I've checked all over the web too, it's all dead ends or spam. The usenet is also completely devoid of Dell OEM disk images for Windows 7. You've gotta be shitting me.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
God damn Dell. Damn them to hell.

So I got the frankenputer built using the Dell Vostro 260 / Inspiron 620 motherboard. I tried installing Windows 10 Pro and Home, thinking the previous owner might have done the update over the Windows 7 Pro that said machines shipped with. No dice, no activation.

So the next step would be to install Windows 7 Professional and do the update to Windows 10... but no dice there either. Windows 7 activations on Dell machines were done via a generic key tied to Dell machines using special install media. Install media which is apparently next to impossible to get hold of.

Dell has their own 'OS disk image downloader' but it asks for a service tag, and every time I enter the service tag for this mobo it spits out a message saying there is no install media disk image available for this machine. WELL FUCK.

I've checked all over the web too, it's all dead ends or spam. The usenet is also completely devoid of Dell OEM disk images for Windows 7. You've gotta be shitting me.
Oh, it sucks ass. I deal with Dells at work. If you want a Win 10 key LMK.
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1525 ($1000 with sales)
  • Games owned: 358
  • Games played: 124 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 875.6h