GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 02-05-2018, 04:57 PM
i liek turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
You know, I really wish they would figure out a way to speed up indexing / sorting in Windows.

Example: My main 'Download' directory I always sort by date. When it gets more than say 100 files in it of various types, Windows takes ages to sort it. So I'll have to sit there and wait looking at a directory that's sorted by filename until Windows finishes sorting it by date. It annoys the everloving shit out of me.

I bet there's a way to speed this up. I need to research.

But in the meantime, hey I just sorted a year's worth of downloads...
Oh I know this one

Right-click the Downloads folder, hit Properties, go to the Customize tab, and tell it to optimize the folder for General Items.

BOOM.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.4 + Proxmox VE
Old 02-05-2018, 05:02 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
Oh I know this one

Right-click the Downloads folder, hit Properties, go to the Customize tab, and tell it to optimize the folder for General Items.

BOOM.
Sweet!

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM
i liek turtles

That's one of the first things I do on my own PC after installing drivers and running wsusoffline. Can't tell when I last formatted, though, since the 1709 upgrade reset my system's original install date field.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.4 + Proxmox VE
Old 02-06-2018, 02:07 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

So just before Thanksgiving of last year, Entercom bought all of CBS Radio and their properties, and blew up a TON of stations the very day the sale was approved. One of the stations they killed was WJMK out of Chicago, known as 104.3 K-Hits. They were what's colloquially known as a 'classic hits' station, focusing on 80s light rock along with lots of 70s stuff and a very few choice songs from the early 1990s. The station had been my go-to since I discovered it back in 2013 - I loved it. The stuff they played was right up my alley and they almost never played a song I didn't like. From Peter Cetera and Chicago to The Doobie Bros, it was just great stuff. I was genuinely sad and pissed off when the station suddenly changed formats. Entercom changed it to a fucking 'throwback' urban / hip-hop station and called it 'JAMZ'. For real. A hiphop station called JAMZ. With a Z. It's so fucking cliche` I honestly thought it was a stunt and a fake format. Nope.

So I've been trying to find a replacement that I like just as much. Oddly enough, Entercom didn't touch the format of K-Hit's sister station here in DFW, Texas (98.7 KLUV) but I suspect that's largely because the station is damn near legendary and an icon here. But in 2014 and 2015 they started playing more 80s pop and 90s junk. I don't want to fucking hear Borderline or Lucky Star by Madonna, nor do I want to hear Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy". And they've gotten even worse since then.

I've not found anything I like as much as I did K-Hits, although WLS out of Chicago is pretty close most of the time.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:02 AM
TROLOLO

Man, the NoxBox is running nice now... she's a beast!

I'm about to play some Doom 3.... I hope it will run on my Athlon 64 X2!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:22 AM
i liek turtles

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...map_for_teams/

FUCKING DAMN IT NOW I'M GOING TO HAVE TO LEARN TO ADMINISTER ANOTHER TOOL THAT DOES EXACTLY THE SAME FUCKING THING FUCK

Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 AM
TROLOLO

Newegg has the Thermaltake Core v21 for $54.99 shipped (over $10 off their usual price) but then a $20 rebate card makes it $35. I'm so tempted to grab another one but I am so broked. The v21 is hands down my favorite PC case of all time, even beating the old Chieftec cases back in the day which had always been my top favorite.

It's mATX (will fit microATX and smaller boards) and so fucking modular and customizable it's amazing, especially for under $70. At $35 it's a freaking steal.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...37&SID=rewrite

Old 02-08-2018, 02:25 PM
TROLOLO

Finally built our home file server / NAS box last night!

Specs:

Asus P5QPL-AM LGA775 motherboard
Core 2 Quad Q9550
2x2GB generic (Acer branded) DDR2
1x 8TB WD Red
1x 5TB WB Blue
Seasonic SS650-HT
All inside a cheap as shit Cougar Spike mATX "gaming" case

This has been planned for several months now and I finally got around to it since the home networking project is nearing completion!

For the NAS box I definitely wanted a mATX board for a smaller case so using my old GA-P35-DS3L was out, that left only the old ASUS PQ5PL-AM. This board was one I pulled out of my mother's PC last time I rebuilt it and it was retired because of instability due to a few bad caps. I ordered some replacements (620uF @ 6.3v as I recall) a couple of weeks ago and yesterday afternoon I installed them. Soldering iron fun, yay! The replacement went well and the board seems perfectly stable now.

For the CPU I actually had a few choices. I have a couple of Core 2 Duo based Pentiums and Celerons (E5500, E5300, maybe even an E6300 somewhere) but I had also bought a couple of Core 2 Quads cheap off Ebay. In the end it came down to a Q6600 or a Q9550, and I ended up choosing the Q9550 because it's faster, cooler, and less power hungry being a 45nm process - the Q6600 is 65nm.

The RAM is generic Acer branded DDR2, two 2GB sticks. I really want to find some 4GB sticks and populate the board with that. Maybe a future Ebay purchase when I have some more cash.

The two hard drives came out of external desktop drives because for some reason they're still dirt cheap compared to buying bare drives. The 8TB one was like $150 and the 5TB was $99 I think. They've both been sitting new in the box for a few months now waiting for this project. I finally shucked them yesterday (after testing them in their enclosures) and the build was officially on!

And lastly the PSU. It's an OEM badged Seasonic S12-II - a beastly 650 watt monster in sheep's clothing. No fancy black anodized case, no sleeving, but a monster. I had bought like three of these back when an electronics liquidation company was unloading them on Ebay. They were all pulls from brand new systems, they even have that new electronics smell!

I spent some time re-pondering what software I wanted to run. I had decided on UnRaid months ago just via word of mouth, but then yesterday I discovered that it actually costs money. Shit! I considered free alternatives, but they all seemed sketchy to me. Sure, there is still FreeNAS but it's archaic compared to Unraid in terms of ultimate flexibility. So in the end I grabbed the trial for Unraid and got a trial registration.

Setting up Unraid is virtually a breeze. I can see why they charge money for it! You basically create a bootable USB stick that the OS runs completely off of, setup the BIOS of the NAS machine to boot from it, plug it all up including a network connection and turn the machine on. You can then login and configure it via a web browser session. The UI isn't the most beautiful thing out there but it's laid out well and mostly easy to understand. Create an array, bring it online, format it, and create a network share. BAM.

Right now it's pretty much setup like a JBOD, I don't even have any parity drives yet for redundancy. I am not sure if I'll add some or not. Maybe eventually. This box isn't going to store mission critical stuff, or at least not stuff that's not backed up elsewhere.

Last night I left it up and left my machine copying 2.5TB of movies to it over the LAN. Took a little over 4 hours I think, but I am not positive because I went to bed about halfway through.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:31 PM
teh gun geek

My home "NAS/Server" is running Windows 7 Ultimate with Drive Bender. Booting off a 120GB SSD, and 4 4TB drives inside it, also a ~3.5TB iSCSI drive from a Lenovo ix300D NAS (RAID 10 for it). It is still slow, but thats what I get for using a dual core low power AMD chip in it.
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Old 02-08-2018, 03:39 PM
i liek turtles

Heh ... I don't have a file server/NAS. I just throw shit at my main rig and it lives there, backing up to Backblaze and synchronizing with Google Drive.

I do want to move my Plex library to a different box, though ... I'd rather have it on a headless Loonix box in the basement than on my desktop. I'd also like to add OTA DVR capability to the Plex box so I can have some remote TV viewing capabilities.

Other shit ... NWS is telling us to expect 8-14" of snow over the next 36 hours. The Civic is ready.