GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 09-03-2017, 07:25 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Fucking hell, they took too long shipping the G6 out so now it won't be here until fucking Tuesday.

That's the third time in a couple of months Amazon has done this shit... promised same day delivery and then delayed it. WTF do I pay for Prime for???

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Since I have only swam in the pool ONCE this season, I figured I'd better get out there and swim at least once more before it gets too cold to do so. It's also the perfect opportunity to fire up the in-ground TIC GS3 speakers I put in a couple of years ago! Swimming and cool tunes!

But alas, when I powered on my old Huawei Ascend Mate 2 in order to stream K-Hits (Chicago classic hits station, it's all I listen to!) it began to boot loop. It would make it all the way to the home screen, and then reboot over and over. I figured something must have went tits up internally, some sort of hardware failure. The phone already had issues which caused me to retire it from being my daily driver a couple of years ago - namely the mic died. But it's served me very well as a bluetooth streamer since then until today. I dug out an older first gen moto G that has a cracked screen, but still works great otherwise... and we had tunes!

But tonight I decided I couldn't give up on the old HAM2 yet and set about researching possible solutions to the boot loop problem. I'm glad I did! Turns out it's because of an update to the Qualcomm location stack that got pushed out in some Google services update and it causes some older builds of LineageOS / CyanogenMod to bootloop on certain devices. The HAM2 was running the last official build of Lineage, which in itself was based on Marshmallow. Luckily some dedicated soul has been maintaining a custom build since the official support was dropped, and after 20 minutes of grabbing it, the proper OpenGApps package, and an updated build of TWRP, the phone was wiped and reflashed and now runs LAOS 14.1 (Nougat) - and AWESOMELY. I forgot how much I loved this thing. If it had a little faster processor and more than 2GB RAM (and a working mic) I could easily go back to using it again on the daily. It truly was/is one sexy beast of a phablet.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:52 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Just staring at that predicted track for Irma and sighing.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 09-04-2017, 10:46 PM
TROLOLO

The new LG G6 arrives tomorrow, hopefully, if Amazon's shitty contracted delivery service doesn't steal it or otherwise screw it up like they have several of my orders lately. I'm pumped!

I get a new phone, and get to do a new phone unboxing and review for the Youtube channel!

Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 AM
i liek turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
Amazon has the G6 available on their 5 month payment plan... I've almost bit on it twice tonight, it's a damn sexy looking phone!

The only things that keep making me pause:

1. Battery life isn't supposed to be all that great, in fact some people say it straight out sucks.
2. LG has, in my experience, made a name for itself in terms of crappy build quality. Didn't they make the Nexus 5? The one that was all glass front and back and liked to shatter damn near spontaneously?

But damn I love the looks... the 18:9 (well, basically 2:1 really) long screen would be a little weird for watching movies and TV shows since most are 16:9, but I really dig the huge screen to bezel ratio. It almost looks exactly like a Galaxy S8...
I had the Nexus 5 and ran it caseless most of the time. The front/back were pristine on that thing, but the GPS antenna was a monster piece of shit. The antenna was in the plastic back panel, which had these spring clips on it that contacted the phone's motherboard. Over time (i.e. through stresses of normal use) those would lose contact with the board, and GPS would drop out for up to half an hour at a time. The only way to fix it was to remove the back, shove some folded pieces of index card under them, and replace the back. Ghetto as hell ... but it appears that LG at least learned from that mistake and used pogo pins on the V20's motherboard, along with lands on the back panel, to implement that one's GPS antenna. Apparently the G5 had the exact same design flaw.

From the iFixIt guide, it appears that the GPS antenna is embedded in the G6's body, rather than its back, so LG even addressed this on a handset with a "nonremovable" battery.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.4 + Proxmox VE
Old 09-06-2017, 05:02 AM
TROLOLO

IT'S HERE.

JUST THE BOX IS GIVING ME A STIFFY.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 PM
i liek turtles

Yeah, LG upped their packaging game for the G6 and V20.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.4 + Proxmox VE
Old 09-06-2017, 04:59 PM
TROLOLO

I haven't opened it yet... been a really busy day and I gotta crash to get up tomorrow morning and power walk. I want to do a unboxing / review on Youtube so I can't just tear into it yet.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
I haven't opened it yet... been a really busy day and I gotta crash to get up tomorrow morning and power walk. I want to do a unboxing / review on Youtube so I can't just tear into it yet.
So... a year from now then?
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 09-07-2017, 04:55 AM
TROLOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
So... a year from now then?
Ohhh you!!!