GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > Important Stuff > Front Page News

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:06 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce
Default [TV] Toonami Says Goodbye

This is primarily a gaming site, but in my experience, those that game are just as likely to have watched (or still watch) cartoons. At the forefront of this, of course is Cartoon Network and their many different blocks of programming. [adult swim], Miguzi, and the one that started it all, Toonami.

This past Saturday marked the last broadcast of that block, after 11 years running. Starting as a "meager" two-hour block on weekdays, at it's peak it ran 6 days a week, ending with a huge 4-hour block on Saturdays. The show itself has had two CG 'hosts', in the beginning with Moltar of Space Ghost fame, then transitioning to Tom, a space-traveler. Over the years Tom has had about four different versions, each a somehow story-related transformation.

While the blocks themselves tended to skew more and more towards the anime crowd, Moltar, and later Tom and his crew were always there, reviewing games, music, tossing out the occasional
, or saving the world.

Toonami's
marks the end of an era. And I for one, am sad to see it go.

And for all you fellow fans,
a tribute video to Moltar, Tom, and the gang, as well as all the shows they premiered.

Bang.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

I've never been much of an Anime fan so I never got into Toonami, but a lot of folks sure seem up in arms about it's demise.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:10 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
I've never been much of an Anime fan so I never got into Toonami, but a lot of folks sure seem up in arms about it's demise.
It was a lot of people's first exposure to anime, and for a while was the only game in town if you couldn't buy the tapes (now DVDs). Insta-fanbase right there.

Plus, the VA behind Tom is Steven Blum, a voice actor who's done multiple popular roles.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:28 PM
i liek turtles

Man, I remember watching Toonami after coming home from work at 11:30PM, when I was 17 ... I guess I sort of "grew apart" from Toonami when I started getting sick of Sailor Moon and DBZ
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE