GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4951  
Old 11-11-2017, 11:18 AM
evildre evildre is offline
i liek turtles
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 3,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
My case isn't large enough for something like that. I might be able to swing a H80i, but that's about it.

Which will probably be the next upgrade if I don't get a HUEG VIDYA CARD instead.
I've used the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer C on three mini-ITX builds (two i5-6400 and one i3-7300) and it works pretty well on non-OC systems. Nice and quiet, and pretty thin. I've got the previous generation Riing 240 on my current 2600k system and have it running at 4.6, so hell yeah it's awesome.

Also ... ditto on the vidya. I've got my 970, but I want MOAR. Maybe a 10-series card as primary and the 970 as dedicated PhysX ...
__________________
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Reply With Quote
  #4952  
Old 11-11-2017, 12:34 PM
TheGeekRedneck's Avatar
TheGeekRedneck TheGeekRedneck is offline
TROLOLO
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kennedale, Texas
Posts: 3,551
Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck
Default

So get this... this 7700k is such a sweet chip that it's literally pushed my Z170 board to it's limits. At 5.0ghz, under full artificial load, at 1.37v core voltage, the system is rock solid stable. But after about 20 minutes the motherboard starts throttling the CPU down to it's default multiplier (42x) sporadically, resulting in momentary dips back to 4.2ghz. After a couple of hours making sure every version of SpeedStep, C-states, turbo boost, and other throttling / multiplier modifying behavior was disabled in the BIOS I was STILL seeing the issue.

Turns out the VRMs for the CPU (located around the CPU socket on the motherboard) are reaching some sort of hard coded thermal limit. That's the going theory over at the [H] anyway. Keep in mind that the Z170 was designed for Skylake and as such it was extremely rare to get a CPU to 5ghz back when this board was the tits.

Now theoretically I'd never see this throttling in action doing any normal task like gaming, or even stressful tasks like video encoding. But an artificial stress test like Prime95's Small FFTs make the poor Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5 have hot flashes and go into menopause mode. This is hilarious to me.

As such I'll probably leave the CPU clocked at 5ghz and always be left wondering what it's true limit might be. I bet with a little more bump in core voltage I could hit 5.1 or even 5.2ghz.
__________________
Operator of GameBeat.net

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Reply With Quote
  #4953  
Old 11-11-2017, 04:13 PM
evildre evildre is offline
i liek turtles
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 3,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
So get this... this 7700k is such a sweet chip that it's literally pushed my Z170 board to it's limits. At 5.0ghz, under full artificial load, at 1.37v core voltage, the system is rock solid stable. But after about 20 minutes the motherboard starts throttling the CPU down to it's default multiplier (42x) sporadically, resulting in momentary dips back to 4.2ghz. After a couple of hours making sure every version of SpeedStep, C-states, turbo boost, and other throttling / multiplier modifying behavior was disabled in the BIOS I was STILL seeing the issue.

Turns out the VRMs for the CPU (located around the CPU socket on the motherboard) are reaching some sort of hard coded thermal limit. That's the going theory over at the [H] anyway. Keep in mind that the Z170 was designed for Skylake and as such it was extremely rare to get a CPU to 5ghz back when this board was the tits.

Now theoretically I'd never see this throttling in action doing any normal task like gaming, or even stressful tasks like video encoding. But an artificial stress test like Prime95's Small FFTs make the poor Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5 have hot flashes and go into menopause mode. This is hilarious to me.

As such I'll probably leave the CPU clocked at 5ghz and always be left wondering what it's true limit might be. I bet with a little more bump in core voltage I could hit 5.1 or even 5.2ghz.
https://ark.intel.com/products/98089/Intel-Z270-Chipset
__________________
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Reply With Quote
  #4954  
Old 11-12-2017, 03:47 AM
Sorce Sorce is offline
HERP DERKEN!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Not There
Posts: 2,311
Send a message via AIM to Sorce
Default

dre just side-eyed me in his stream, and I can't stop laughing.

(Your original Lascaux should be Lv. 8, and there are different permutations that can be better than others. Within reason though; low level is still low level.)

edit: The only times it'll be higher is in TVHM and when you enter 2.5. "2.5" being that point after you beat the main story on TVHM, but still want to run missions and farm for level-appropriate gear. Also really glad you got the Deadly Bloom. That's a great shield for Deathtrap once you unlock that ability.
__________________
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Reply With Quote
  #4955  
Old 11-12-2017, 10:42 AM
evildre evildre is offline
i liek turtles
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 3,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
dre just side-eyed me in his stream, and I can't stop laughing.

(Your original Lascaux should be Lv. 8, and there are different permutations that can be better than others. Within reason though; low level is still low level.)

edit: The only times it'll be higher is in TVHM and when you enter 2.5. "2.5" being that point after you beat the main story on TVHM, but still want to run missions and farm for level-appropriate gear. Also really glad you got the Deadly Bloom. That's a great shield for Deathtrap once you unlock that ability.
I think I got that in a previous playthrough. It's fun just bulldozing through mobs with that.
__________________
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Reply With Quote
  #4956  
Old 11-13-2017, 01:59 AM
Sorce Sorce is offline
HERP DERKEN!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Not There
Posts: 2,311
Send a message via AIM to Sorce
Default

Ya'll are watching The Orville, right?
__________________
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Reply With Quote
  #4957  
Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 AM
evildre evildre is offline
i liek turtles
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 3,064
Default

No.

Extra text to exceed the 5-character minimum.
__________________
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Reply With Quote
  #4958  
Old 11-13-2017, 07:36 PM
evildre evildre is offline
i liek turtles
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 3,064
Default

Huh. My silly little RetroPie box has 30 days of uptime.
__________________
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Reply With Quote
  #4959  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:58 PM
runt's Avatar
runt runt is offline
teh gun geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
Huh. My silly little RetroPie box has 30 days of uptime.
Our 32" tv in the living room died so mine isn't hooked up anymore . Using a 26" spare my parents had for now.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
__________________
View my Linkedin profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1525 ($1000 with sales)
  • Games owned: 358
  • Games played: 124 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 875.6h
Reply With Quote
  #4960  
Old 11-14-2017, 04:26 AM
TheGeekRedneck's Avatar
TheGeekRedneck TheGeekRedneck is offline
TROLOLO
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kennedale, Texas
Posts: 3,551
Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
Also ... ditto on the vidya. I've got my 970, but I want MOAR. Maybe a 10-series card as primary and the 970 as dedicated PhysX ...


The 1070 or new 1070 Ti are amazing cards for the money... word has it that with a slight overclock (like, not even really stressing anything) the 1070 Ti gives the original 1080 a good run for it's money.

I've had my Asus 1080 Strix edition card for ... sheesh almost a year and a half? I plan to keep it at least that much longer too. It's such a damn sexy beast of a card...
__________________
Operator of GameBeat.net

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
GameBeat.net - 2009 NoxTek LLC.