GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > Gaming

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Overwheat Send a message via MSN to Overwheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
The game is very attractive visually and the art style is generally well done, but the amount of button combinations you have to remember is mind numbingly confusing to me a lot of the time. Luckily I have been able to defeat most of the groups of baddies by simple mashing of the left mouse button (attack). Bain (I think that's his name?) was a little more difficult since you have to use the battarang at specific times to stun him or whatever... took me a few tries to beat him. I think I get to fight Croc dude next...
I feel the game plays a lot better if you're using an xbox controller (it natively supports it) than with a mouse & keyboard. /2cents.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwheat View Post
I feel the game plays a lot better if you're using an xbox controller (it natively supports it) than with a mouse & keyboard. /2cents.
Yeah, I sorta got that impression when I went to the control options and it shows Xbox buttons alongside the key bindings, lol. But I just can't get the hang of that control scheme, it's one of the main reasons I don't own a current generation console. I'm just not comfortable with a gamepad unless it's for racing or 2D platformers.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Still playing Arkham Asylum whenever I have spare time, though it's pretty busy around here with the packing. Still going at it with the mouse and keyboard... lol.

WASD for life, bitches.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
TROLOLO

More Arkham Asylum

So last night I got to a part where the need to use a gamepad really made itself apparent. There is a part in the game where you have to outsmart Killer Croc and collect plant spores... well near the very end there's a section where you have to run just as fast as you can to stay ahead of him. IT SWITCHES THE FUCKING CAMERA ANGLE! I don't mean 'oops I moved the mouse', I mean the camera angle completely switches and locks into a view where Batman is facing you... lol. Needless to say I died a couple of times.

Why don't I just switch to the XBox controller I have sitting in my desk drawer? Because Goddammit, I started this game playing with the keyboard and now it's the principal of the thing.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM
TROLOLO

Well that's just freakin' great....

Old 05-11-2013, 07:54 PM
TROLOLO

YAY!!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 AM
TROLOLO

So my final thoughts (ala my big Facebook post) on Batman: Arkham Asylum:

So last night I finallly solved all of the Riddler's puzzles and am pretty much done with Batman: Arkham Asylum for the PC. (Also available for PS3 and Xbox 360) Let's be clear, I don't get to play games much anymore so my opinion might not be the same as an avid gamer.

I found Batman: Arkham Asylum to be an incredibly well done game. The graphics (at least on the PC) are quite rich and detailed, and the overall atmosphere as a whole is dark and gritty - everything you would expect from a Batman game. The game is never overly difficult (although the Poison Ivy boss battle can be a bit of a chore) and even at it's hardest never discourages the player from the desire to keep on playing. The voice acting is downright exquisite - in particular the voices of The Joker (Mark Hamill), Harley Quinn (Arleen Sorkin), The Scarecrow (Dino Andrade), and The Riddler (Wally Wingert). Now I see why my little brother (William Hansard) goes on all the time about Mark Hamill's voice of the Joker, to listen you would never guess it was the same guy who played 'Luke Skywalker'. Incredibly well done...

The addition of the Riddler's puzzles hidden throughout the game really makes the player want to explore every nook and cranny long after you've finished the main story of the game. Some of the Riddler's Puzzles are downright fiendish, but once you figure them out the sense of accomplishment is worth the effort. About the only negative thing I can say about this is that it leaves the player wanting to leave 'Detective Mode' enabled all the time (sort of an x-ray/night vision mode) and you end up missing out on some of the delicious looking scenery in the game.

The controls in this game are blatantly 'console' in nature - in fact if you go to the controls menu it actually shows Xbox 360 controls along with the PC keyboard and mouse alternatives. I managed to play through the entire game with the mouse and keyboard, but you REALLY want to have a gamepad of some sort - preferably an Xbox 360 gamepad (the best PC gamepad of all time in my opinion).

If you've never played the game, I highly recommend picking it up. And the sequel (Batman: Arkham City) has been out for awhile now too and is supposed to be even better!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 AM
TROLOLO

So I plan to try and sit down and start Arkham City sometime today... I was going to wait awhile and play something else instead, but last night my little brother pretty much talked me out of it.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
TROLOLO

Added to the backlog:

Alan Wake
Alan Wake: American Nightmare
Batman: Arkham City GOTY Edition

Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 AM
TROLOLO

Added to the backlog:

Tomb Raider (2012)

At $13.60 I just couldn't pass it up...