GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > Gaming

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 01-27-2019, 12:09 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Playing BioShock 2 Remastered on the hardest difficult with Vita-Chambers disabled while also doing a completionist run may not have been the best idea.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 02-04-2019, 04:42 AM
HERP DERKEN!

BioShock 2 Remastered
There's not really much to say here; it's almost literally the same game as the non-Remastered version, with slightly better visuals and less cheevos to earn. That said, I get to once again talk about how much I like this game, so buckle up.

BioShock 2 is a sequel that no one asked for. Maybe not in the literal sense, because the original BioShock set the world on fire with it's appearance, and introduced a universe that was both fascinating and terrible. I mean sure, I've called it a "System Shock with a palette swap", and it is, but Rapture and it's inhabitants were still interesting on their own merits. So it's natural that people would want to spend more time there.

Except, we got BioShock 2. It takes the world of Rapture and shrinks it, ever so much. It's the same as what happened in Dragon Age. First game was a gigantic tale, metaphorical or otherwise, second is a small story in the established world. In both cases, this was widely regarded as a bad move and made gamers very angry. And you won't like gamers when they're angry. Mostly because in aggregate their behaviour is kind of sad and desperate (aka The Salt), but I digress.

All that said, a smaller story in a larger world is kind of right up my alley. I don't need to always need to save the world, as fun as that is, so long as the story is still engaging. And BioShock 2 definitely has that. It's pretty basic, get from Point A to Point B, except you play as a Big Daddy ('named' Subject Delta) trying to get to his Little Sister. Also the Little Sister has grown up, and is "captured" by her actual Mother because the girl is going to be the World's First Utopian, because the Mother is a bit of a Mad Scientist. Also you died in the Prologue (self-inflicted lead poisioning, we'll say), so the Little Sister had to figure out a way to bring you back first, even before she could set up her own rescue mission.

So Daddy's Back in Town and you're on a mission to save your daughter-who-isn't-but-also-kinda-is. Along the way you meet people that are trying to kill you, either for the first or second time, and you get to decide if they're worth the drill swing, as well as other Little Sisters that are not yours, but could always use a new Big Daddy in their life. How you interact with all of these people shows your specific Little Sister (named Eleanor) how to treat people in the world, and she directly mirrors you. Are you merciful to those you interact with? So is she. Are you just a murder machine with no compunctions to kill and gut all in your immediate vicinity? Eleanor goes 100% Nice Boat.

Though that does bring up one particular decision in the game, where the "good" one would be to kill, but the game sees all murder as bad (for named characters, of course) so not being merciful is the higher path. It's really odd. And yes, the game has multiple endings, or at least variations of a theme, just like it's predecessor. Personally I'm a bigger fan of "one ending, but it's bittersweet/maybe still kinda fucked up" for the -Shock games, but c'est la vie.

Do I think you should pick it up? Absolutely, especially if you aren't a fan of the first game. And you should regardless, especially because of...

BioShock 2: Minerva's Den Remastered
This is hands down the best DLC in the franchise. I mean, I guess there's not much competition here, what with it either being iterations on Gathering/Horde Mode, or Rapture Again: This Time It's a Prequel, and maybe also a Sequel. Still though, it's pretty good.

Here you play Subject Sigma, a Big Daddy tasked with helping C.M. Porter get the machine code for The Thinker (the computer that runs everything in Rapture) out of Rapture itself. Not all is easy in Minerva's Den of course, because Porter's former business partner has come to see The Thinker as some sort of Machine God that can predict the future. And he wants to keep that to himself for as long as possible. Also most of the enemies are your typical models, though there is more of a prevalence towards "tech" stuff, more security bots, both in stand-alone droids and drones attached to splicers. Also Heavy Brutes with flame melee for some reason.

Also, not everything is as simple as it's supposed to be, and not everything is as you think it is. It's a neat little diversion to a very specific corner of Rapture, and I highly recommend it.

Unrelated to anything else, if you were curious as to why the Remaster has less Achievements than the original game, it's because they removed the Multiplayer stuff. So all the achievements tied to that had to go too. And if you are going to play on Hard Mode, I recommending leaving the Vita-Chambers off, because that actually forces you to think about fights and react accordingly, instead of just bashing your drill against a wall while your items deplete in-between regenerations.

Also I wouldn't mind a re-make of sorts, or at least a way to get all three games in the trilogy (BioShock, BS2, Infinite) to be tighter, where all the games are written knowing what happens in the others in the series. References to Lamb (and/or Porter) in the first game, more of Ryan in the third, stuff like that.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM
HERP DERKEN!

uPlay had Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China for free, so I grabbed that.

I don't know why.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:23 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
So far, it's a clumsy iteration of Mark of the Ninja. Probably won't get better.

But it might.

But probably not.