GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Greek goddess of LOVE

Default Gardening Adventures 2012

I'm doing a little gardening this year. Tried to last year, but the plot we plowed was underwater because of the unusually wet spring. I planted three raspberry bush starts last night - it'll take two years to reach max growth, but hey it's a start. I *was* going to plant strawberries last night too, but the sun was going down and we have ginormous night crawlers that give me the willies.

Anyway, our garden plot is 50'x30'. We're going to use chicken wire and zappers to keep the critters out this year. Hopefully next year I will have constructed a hoophouse greenhouse. But the corn will have to be outside of it.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:40 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Our ground is too sandy to really do proper gardening...

I did build a couple of raised beds for tomatoes a few years ago, I thought about tilling them out this year and trying for tomatoes again.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 AM
i liek turtles

My wife bought these mini starter things so she can start a garden indoors. We've got a bit of space on either side of the AC condenser, but I need to clear out the unwelcome guest plants that have appeared since last week before she can transplant the stuff she's growing.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
My wife bought these mini starter things so she can start a garden indoors. We've got a bit of space on either side of the AC condenser, but I need to clear out the unwelcome guest plants that have appeared since last week before she can transplant the stuff she's growing.
Funny, my wife did the same thing. Got some stuff planted in pots outside on our deck since thats the only place we have to put them.
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1525 ($1000 with sales)
  • Games owned: 358
  • Games played: 124 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 875.6h
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
P.P.I.T.A - Professional Pain In the Ass

Come to the dark side and have no wives boys!!!

Okay seriously though, The topsy turvy is about the best I can get here to grow anything considering i don't have a back yard or a space big enough for a planter box. It did give me good tomato's one year.
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reaper PC2-1066
Video: EVGA GTX560 Ti SC 2GB @ 900/1800/2004
HD: 1x WD Black 640GB AALS SATA2 3.0GB/s
1x WD Black 1TB FALS SATA2 3.0GB/s
Optical: Samsung SH-S223Q 22x DVD multiwriter w/Lightscribe
Sound: Onboard 7.1 Surround
Speakers: Logitech X-540 5.1

Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM
i liek turtles

We have three of those big blue laundry buckets on the patio and are growing tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, banana peppers, and parsley in them. I cleared out that space next to the condenser (got the cultivator attachment for the Ryobeast and grabbed the shovel and rake from the garage), threw down a delicious-for-plants mix of stuff, transplanted the lettuce and watermelons into that space, and planted a few pumpkin seeds just for kicks. Mario was not sitting still as always, but he did enjoy the little blow-up pool we put out...it was 93 degrees out, after all.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
We have three of those big blue laundry buckets on the patio and are growing tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, banana peppers, and parsley in them. I cleared out that space next to the condenser (got the cultivator attachment for the Ryobeast and grabbed the shovel and rake from the garage), threw down a delicious-for-plants mix of stuff, transplanted the lettuce and watermelons into that space, and planted a few pumpkin seeds just for kicks. Mario was not sitting still as always, but he did enjoy the little blow-up pool we put out...it was 93 degrees out, after all.
Oh man, how is that cultivator attachment?

Can you get Julie to video you using it? No seriously... I found like two videos on youtube and neither were very telling. I wanna see how well it works...

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 PM
i liek turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
Oh man, how is that cultivator attachment?

Can you get Julie to video you using it? No seriously... I found like two videos on youtube and neither were very telling. I wanna see how well it works...
I've never owned or used a cultivator before this one, so I don't have a basis for comparison, unfortunately. Works well enough for what I need, though. There were lots of roots in the way and it managed to chew through some of them, but I had to stop and take the shovel to those roots a few times.

I also got the edger attachment ... you need to tighten the hell out of it when you attach it to the power head, though, otherwise it'll go askew if you hit a thicker piece of dirt.