GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > Gaming

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:09 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

I like that the C&C game is actually just DLC. It's standalone, so you don't need to purchase Red Alert 3, but only EA would add unconnected DLC and a 20yo game that you can't buy as bonuses.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
I like that the C&C game is actually just DLC. It's standalone, so you don't need to purchase Red Alert 3, but only EA would add unconnected DLC and a 20yo game that you can't buy as bonuses.
The best part of that Humble Bundle was being able to ensure that none of the money went to EA.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 PM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
The best part of that Humble Bundle was being able to ensure that none of the money went to EA.
I humbly agree.
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Ducktales: Remastered

Prepare to get hit right in the childhood!

Ducktales: Remastered is a complete redux of the Capcom NES classic "Ducktales". The folks at WayForward Designs took the original 8-bit game and completely re-did it with modern graphics, animations, and audio.

If you played the NES version you'll quickly find some familiarity about the level design - indeed the overall layout of each 'level' matches the classic NES version almost exactly. Baddies, diamonds, and bosses have all been 'remastered' (read: re-created from the ground up) and the game shows little of it's 8-bit heritage aside from a few sound effects.

Likewise, the soundtrack has undergone almost a complete re-imagining (although you would definitely recognize their NES heratige from the opening notes). The music is downright catchy, never annoying, and is almost orchestral in some portions of the game. The whole thing is absolutely brilliant and after finishing the game it has me wishing more classic console titles would be 'remastered' in this fashion. Contra? Space Harrier? Zelda (NES), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Should I go on?

Gameplay sticks pretty close to the roots of the NES classic - it's not too frustrating (at least on 'Easy' mode) throughout the game and the boss fights are an awesome 'reward' for trudging through the levels. The boss fights without a doubt were my favorite part of the game... especially the LAST one. Just plain fun! The last level just before the end (where you have to climb, and climb, and beat the clock so to speak) can get frustrating - especially if you're using a gamepad with a sucky d-pad (I'm looking at you, trusty Xbox 360 gamepad), but after six or seven (hundred) tried you'll make it... and the ending is so totally worth it.

One last thing.... the game does feature quite a bit of cinematic cutscenes. I never found them boring and because of the voice acting it was a lot like watching an episode of the Ducktales TV show. But the means to skip cutscenes is pretty annoying.... in order to skip a cutscene you have to first press start to pause the game, and then select 'skip cutscene' from the pause menu. This is rather silly in my opinion - why not make 'skip cutscene' a button on the controller or at least a bindable CVAR so we could bind it ourselves? In any case on that very last cutscene before the game ends you'll be wanting to use that skip option a LOT to save time.

Overall Ducktales: Remastered gets a high 4 out of 5 stars from me! I'd say it's definitely worth a purchase... and if you buy it on Steam you also get the added bonus of achievements and trading cards.

Lastly, I leave you with the video trailer for the game.... prepare to be singing the song for the rest of forever.... ready.....

Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 PM
TROLOLO

Adding another few games....

OK, so I can't play Arkham Origins yet, but that's ok since I should probably play through City first.

Also adding three Splinter Cell games that also came with the Zotac GTX 770.... Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:17 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Hey Nox, Would You Kindly click this link to see who Andrew Ryan's voice actor is?
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 10-11-2013, 06:49 AM
TROLOLO

Quote:
Hey Nox, Would You Kindly click this link to see who Andrew Ryan's voice actor is?
Dude..... mind = blown!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:02 AM
TROLOLO

Bioshock

Yes, after all these years I finally played through 'Bioshock', Irrational Games' (aka 2K Boston) Dystopian sci-fi first person shooter. Set sometime in the 1960's, you play 'Jack' - a lone plane crash survivor who escapes drowning at sea by miraculously stumbling upon what amounts to a secret city on the ocean floor (Rapture). Upon arriving at the city you are instantly made aware that something is very, VERY, VERY wrong when you are introduced to a 'Splicer' - a genetically enhanced (and psychotic) citizen turned killing machine. Yes, it seems that the citizens of Rapture, free of the silly concerns of the rest of mankind and the world above, learned to screw with mother nature and genetics and (without spoiling the game too much) generally screwed themselves bigtime. You learn that the people of Rapture used genetic alterations (called 'Plasmids' in the game) like various flavors of candy.... want to freeze someone in place? Inject yourself with some EVE and then use your 'freeze' Plasmid to turn them into a block of ice!

Your mission (at least in the beginning) is to find Andrew Ryan, the genius responsible for creating Rapture... and it seems like every Splicer is out to stop you from doing so. Along the way you're also tasked with killing 'Big Daddies' - giant lumbering underwater dive suits with super strength and generally scary as hell to interact with (when they're angry, anyway). These guys are often accompanied by 'Little Sisters' - little girls with a terrifying need to harvest 'ADAM', an red colored solution that's used (at least in part) as sort of a 'currency' in the game. You kill the Big Daddy and then are left to deal with the 'Little Sister' and get the ADAM from her.

(I realize I'm being purposefully vague here - I don't want to give away too much for those who have never played the game)

The game plays very much like your typical first person shooter (Doom, Quake, etc) only it's very much like it's had RPG elements thrown in. As the game progresses you get access to more and more powerful Plasmids as well as your standard array of conventional weapons. You need to collect syringes of 'EVE' to power your ability to use Plasmids, conventional dollars to buy ammunition and health, and 'ADAM' which ends up being used as another sort of currency in the game to buy different things. As you make your way through Rapture the number of Plasmids and Tonics can actually get pretty complicated, but thankfully you aren't really required to have a huge grasp on every little facet to lumber through the game.

The game also features 'hacking' - you can 'hack' things like vending machines, locked doors and safes, and security bots and drones with varying goals. The 'hacking' ALWAYS consists of a mini-game of what amounts to 'Pipe Mania'. This is probably my biggest complaint with the game.... I never liked Pipe Mania games as a kid and I certainly don't like them now. Having to do it again and again and again just gets pointless, boring, and sometimes downright irritating. Luckily you can make and buy 'Autohacks' that ease this tedium a little. Still, they could have varied this game mechanic up a little....

Visually Bioshock is absolutely gorgeous.... I remember when the game first came out back in 2007 and being absolutely in awe at the visual beauty of it. Rapture is absolutely oozing with early twentieth century art deco and the atmosphere in general is just extremely detailed and a treat to the eyes. The water effects were actually pretty far ahead of their time and even today (six years after release) haven't been outdone by most games. Similarly, the audio in the game (when you get it working right) is artfully done. Rapture is full of audio touches like phonographs and juke boxes that play period appropriate music. Although I must say that I did get a bit tired of hearing 'How Much Is That Doggy In The Window' during a particular part of the game...

The story line of the game is great, and I'm sorry that I can't go into great detail here for risk of spoiling the game, but it plays like great science fiction through and through. There are plenty of plot twists and a few moments that actually turn out to be quite gut wrenching. Suffice it to say that Jack (your character) may not be who or what we think he is....

It's worth noting that the PC version of the game is not without it's problems:

1. Bioshock was developed for consoles and as a result the game defaults to a FOV (field of view) MUCH narrower than the average PC user is used to. This can result in nausea and headaches for PC users, particularly if you have a large monitor and sit close to it. Thankfully this can be remedied by manually editing a configuration file and setting up key binds to adjust the FOV to a more appropriate one. You just have to remember to hit the FOV keybind every time you load a new level or restart the game.... otherwise it's BLEGH city.

2. Audio can be a real pain to get working in the game... in fact for me the game wouldn't even start and it ended up being because of a setting in my onboard Realtek audio sound properties. (Had to enable 'Stereo Mix' in the Windows audio control panel). Also you have to install OpenAL otherwise you can have issues with the sound cutting out or effects cutting each other off.

3. Alt-Tabbing in Windows can have generally unpleasant effects on the game...

Overall it's not too badly done though, certainly not as horrible an experience as some console ports. The PC version definitely looks better than anything I've seen on the console versions.

So overall I'd rate Bioshock a 9 out of 10 on a scale which I just came up with in my head and will soon forget. It's a fantastic visual experience with a great story and enough gameplay variations to keep you coming back even after you've beaten the game more than once. With recent amazon sales having the game cost as little as $2.50 (usually a Bioshock 1 and 2 bundle for $4.99) there is simply no reason NOT to own this game for yourself. Go buy it.

Eye Candy:

Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 PM
HERP DERKEN!

If you want to avoid spoilers, you may want to remove some of those screencaps. And while I don't quite share the hatred of the 'Pipe Dream' hacking minigame, it's worth sharing that it doesn't carry over to the sequel. There is a hacking minigame of course, but it's not that.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 PM
TROLOLO

Quote:
If you want to avoid spoilers, you may want to remove some of those screencaps. And while I don't quite share the hatred of the 'Pipe Dream' hacking minigame, it's worth sharing that it doesn't carry over to the sequel. There is a hacking minigame of course, but it's not that.
Meh, the screencaps don't really show context... so.... meh. Plus I'm TEH ADMIN AND I CAN DO WAT I WANT!

I'm trying to decide if I want to jump right into Bioshock 2, or give it a rest and play something else. I've got so many games I just need to put them in a randomizer and play whatever comes up.

In fact, I've got more to add to the backlog. My little brother got me the Humble Bundle last week...

Cities XL Platinum
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
Divinity II: Developer's Cut
R.A.W. Realms of Ancient War
Game of Thrones
Confrontation
Wargame: European Escalation
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes