GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 11-23-2017, 09:46 AM
i liek turtles

Far Cry 4, Far Cry Primal, The Witcher 3: GOTY (includes Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine), Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Digital Deluxe Edition (50% off on Steam, was $20 cheaper than the vanilla game yesterday).

STEAM FALL SALE WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Also got all of the Mechromancer skin packs for BL2. They were freaking $0.99 each, and ended up costing me $5.25. NBD.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750
Old 11-24-2017, 06:18 PM
i liek turtles

Phillips Hue starter kit (the one with the hub and 4 white bulbs), 3 Hue white/color ambiance lights, 6 white candelabra base LED bulbs, and two 75-pack Christmas light hooks. It was like 60 degrees out today, so I put up the lights. I also put the color bulbs in the coach lights outside, set them to red/white/green, and set IFTTT to turn them on and set that scene at sunset. I also set IFTTT to turn one lamp in the living room on at sunset, since we usually turn it on anyway.

I also managed to snag the last Google Home Mini at the local Home Depot. It was $30 I connected the Hue base to it too, so I can say things like "hey Google, turn on the tall lamp and set it to 75% brightness". Works with the Nest as well (though most smart thermostats will probably work with it too) ... "hey Google, heat the house to 73 degrees" is a thing now
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750
Old 11-24-2017, 06:56 PM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
Phillips Hue starter kit (the one with the hub and 4 white bulbs), 3 Hue white/color ambiance lights, 6 white candelabra base LED bulbs, and two 75-pack Christmas light hooks. It was like 60 degrees out today, so I put up the lights. I also put the color bulbs in the coach lights outside, set them to red/white/green, and set IFTTT to turn them on and set that scene at sunset. I also set IFTTT to turn one lamp in the living room on at sunset, since we usually turn it on anyway.

I also managed to snag the last Google Home Mini at the local Home Depot. It was $30 I connected the Hue base to it too, so I can say things like "hey Google, turn on the tall lamp and set it to 75% brightness". Works with the Nest as well (though most smart thermostats will probably work with it too) ... "hey Google, heat the house to 73 degrees" is a thing now

I want a Hue setup. We have both Echo Dots and a JBL Link 20 Google Home speaker. JBL sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Old 11-26-2017, 02:05 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Just in:

12 port patch panel with wall mount bracket for the big wired home networking project. They were even nice enough to include a rudimentary punch down tool and cable stripper, but I bought a nicer impact punch down tool separately from an ebay seller that should be here this week sometime.

Needed a filler item for the Amazon shipping so I bought a box of 100 nitrile gloves because I can use them when I'l chopping hot peppers or doing greasy automotive work in the garage.

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 11-26-2017, 03:19 PM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
Just in:

12 port patch panel with wall mount bracket for the big wired home networking project. They were even nice enough to include a rudimentary punch down tool and cable stripper, but I bought a nicer impact punch down tool separately from an ebay seller that should be here this week sometime.

Needed a filler item for the Amazon shipping so I bought a box of 100 nitrile gloves because I can use them when I'l chopping hot peppers or doing greasy automotive work in the garage.

Never seen a vertical patch panel before. I acquired my impact punchdown tool because my dad forgot it at my house

GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
Old 11-26-2017, 04:07 PM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by runt View Post
Never seen a vertical patch panel before.
Yeah, I think because it's designed mainly for wall mounting. In fact now that I look at it, it doesn't even have ears for rack mounting...

Old 11-26-2017, 04:25 PM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
Yeah, I think because it's designed mainly for wall mounting. In fact now that I look at it, it doesn't even have ears for rack mounting...

Did it come with a mounting bracket? And I wish I could easily run CAT 5E around the house. But in a town home that doesn't work well. And I don't need CAT6, not going to upgrade to 10gb anytime soon

Old 11-26-2017, 05:46 PM
TROLOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by runt View Post
Did it come with a mounting bracket? And I wish I could easily run CAT 5E around the house. But in a town home that doesn't work well. And I don't need CAT6, not going to upgrade to 10gb anytime soon

Yup, you can actually barely see it laying on the bed in one of those pictures. White wall mount bracket that the patch panel just snaps into.

I debated and debated on CAT5e vs. CAT6, in the end I chose the more future proof route. If I'm going to be crawling around in the attic and dropping / fishing cables down the walls I'd rather only do it once for the forseeable future. And 10GBe stuff is just starting to get on the affordable side consumer level, I could easily see making the whole LAN 10gbe at some point in the future. That's also why I made sure to pay extra for solid copper wire and not CCA (copper clad aluminum). I swear, CCA has gotten so sneaky you have to be really careful when you're trying NOT to buy it. It's freaking everywhere now...

Still worried about how I'm going to get this all done though. Interior walls should be easy enough (although a lot of the joists up in the attic are covered in plywood for ease of walking / crawling around up there), but it's the exterior walls I'm worrying over. Fighting insulation fishing wire down an exterior wall is a right pain in the ass, even with the proper tools like fish tape and a set of glow rods. And God help me if there happens to be a fire break in the walls I'll be working with.

Granted, I could always just drop the jack on the closest interior wall and deal with a short cable run inside the house to wherever it's needed, but that's not my ideal solution and in fact at one of the two problem locations it's not even an option - there are no interior non insulated walls even remotely close. I suppose if i absolutely HAD to in that location I could drop the CAT6 on the outside of the house down from the attic and through the wall, but that really is a hackjob and something I wouldn't be proud of.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:47 PM
teh gun geek

We got a new fridge

Old 12-04-2017, 10:09 AM
i liek turtles

• Hatchbox PLA in gold, wood, copper, and orange
  • 3D Solutech PLA in green, blue, black, white, and silver
  • Spade/ring/butt terminal set
  • Additional spade terminals
  • 2x Noctua 40x40x10mm 12V fans
  • 16-pack corner braces
  • Upgraded MOSFET for 3D printer heated build plate (the stock one apparently causes wires to melt)
  • M4 screw/nut set
  • 608ZZ bearings
  • RepRap Champion Y carriage plate
  • 16-gauge silicone wire
  • TV backlight LED strips
  • Two-pack Ikea Lack side tables

I plan on stacking the two Lack tables, fastening them together with the corner braces, and installing plexi windows on 3 sides. I'll build a plexi front door for the thing as well. The M4 screws are to hold the hinges/handle in place, and can also be used for various components of the printer. The LED strips will mount to the inside top of the Lack enclosure to illuminate the printer for the remote viewing camera.

The bearings are for a low-resistance filament spool holder that'll sit on top of the Lack enclosure. It'll allow the extruder to expend less effort on pulling filament in. I'm considering a Bowden conversion for it as well to lighten the hotend, but that's a decently large project that requires careful consideration/planning.

The spade/ring/butt terminal set is for redoing some of the 3D printer's wiring, as it's sort of cobbled at the moment. The standalone spade connectors are for the MOSFET upgrade, as are the silicone wires. I'm strongly considering doing an ATX power supply conversion.

The RepRap Champion Y plate is to replace the stock bottom end of the build plate. The stock one is prone to warping, making leveling the bed really difficult, which I've experienced already; the new plate is resistant to warping in this manner and is

The Noctua fans are for the extruder heatsink and the hotend cooling duct, as the Scythe fans I have on there are getting loud.

As for the printer: I plan on disassembling the control box and mounting the power supply's boards themselves either inside the case, or upside-down on the bottom Lack table. Should keep them cooler, especially if I throw a 120mm fan on it, which I may do anyway to quiet it down because the one inside the PSU right now is a loud little bitch. This would allow me to mount the front display, panic button, and control dial elsewhere as well.

Seriously ... 3D printing is dangerously addictive.