GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > Gaming

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 10-20-2013, 03:02 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Steam Roulette.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Batman: Arkham City

So with the recent release of the third in the series of Batman: Arkham games just being released at the end of October, I figured I had better get on the ball and play through Arkham City (the second in the trilogy).

If you enjoyed the gameplay and storyline in the original Batman: Arkham Asylum, then you will surely enjoy Arkham City.

Set about a year after the events of the first game, the second game places you in 'Arkham City' - a run down ghetto portion of Gotham which Quincy Sharp (the director of the Asylum in the first game) has converted into a prison city of sorts. Of course things are not peachy in Arkham City and there are lots of fishy things going on with Quincy Sharp, Dr. Hugo Strange (in charge of Arkham City...), and of course The Joker. We learn early on in the game that The Joker has become deathly ill due to ingesting Titan back in the Arkham Asylum days... and we end up being tasked (rather urgently) with finding a cure. What follows is a delightful roller coaster ride of a game that is long on content and ends up being really difficult to put down.

The 'map' or 'world' in Arkham City is MUCH larger than it was in Asylum. You literally have an entire CITY to explore, above and below. Along with the main storyline which largely consists of beating up bad guys in new and creative ways, you also have an absolutely DIZZYING amount of Riddler trophies to find and puzzles to solve... some of which you can only pick up as Catwoman. Oh... did I mention you play a small portion of the game as Catwoman? Yes. And while I prefer playing as the Dark Knight, Catwoman certainly is nice eye candy if you know what I mean.

Back to those Riddler trophies.... oh my GOD do they get on your nerves sometimes. Many of them are right out in the open or behind walls you have to blow up, but a good portion of them involve landing on or touching switch pads in just the right order and without touching any other surface. These can be a real pain in the ass to solve and sometimes you get the feeling that a Riddler trophy just isn't reward enough. I will say that finding the actual RIDDLES is one of my absolute favorite parts of the game though. Those delightfully hidden question marks that only show up in detective vision? They're back in Arkham City!

Controls are largely just as they were in Arkham Asylum... although their does seem to be more annoyances with camera angles than there were in the first game. There are also some other really annoying moments with the control scheme, like when the grapple refuses to lock onto where you would expect it to... especially in the middle of a tense battle. But they're hardly deal breakers....
A similar array of gear awaits you in Arkham City as well. You start off with a few basics and then gradually unlock more and more gadgets and upgrades as you gain experience and level up in the game. Upgrades are mostly satisfying to earn and go along with the storyline fairly well, helping you progress through the game.

The GOTY edition of Arkham City features all kinds of added content including Riddler challenge maps and an additional story that takes place just after the events of the main game. I personally find the challenge maps and events stupid and tedious so I didn't do many of those, but the Harley's Revenge addon story was decent.

As I sit here and type this I have finished the main story, done all the side missions, found and collected ALL of the Riddler stuff, and completed the Harley's Revenge DLC. I am 'done' with the game and I have to say it was pretty great stuff. Again, if you enjoyed Arkham Asylum you WILL enjoy Arkham City, which sticks like glue to the tried and true formula.

If you haven't played either game NOW is the perfect time.... This week's Humble Bundle features games from Warner Brothers Interactive, and what do you know? Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY and Arkham City GOTY are both included. Donate what you want and enjoy several great games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Added Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition to my backlog... lol.

At this rate I'll be playing Steam games long after I'm dead.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:16 AM
TROLOLO

Goat Simulator

I actually played this a little over a month ago after my little brother gifted it to me on Steam... I really wanted to wait at least a couple of weeks so I could give an honest opinion, uncolored by the hype that surrounded the game at launch time.

Goat Simulator is a stupid game. It's also brilliant. It's brilliantly stupid.

I honestly think the folks at Coffee Stain Studios might have been smoking a little of the 'wacky tobaccy' when they came up with the idea for this game, and somehow during the production process NO ONE shit-canned it. This turned out to be a good thing, because even though it's outlandishly....... stupid (there's that word again) it's also fantastic in it's stupidity. Goat Simulator never takes itself seriously, and in the process manages to make fun of almost every stereotype in modern gaming. In particular the game pokes huge fun at achievements. There are achievements for everything from simply jumping over an item or head-butting a barrel to doing crazy obscure tasks no typical gamer would ever think of. The game also conceals quite a few easter eggs, from the simple to the outlandish... and rewards for finding the more outlandish stuff are pretty crazy. There's something about the game and the way the single map is layed out that just keeps you coming back to try new things.

You're not going to spend a lot of time with the game - although the single map the game has to offer seems big at first, it's really pretty tiny and within an hour's time you've seen and done all you need to - and that's counting all the hidden stuff. There is no plot, no checkpoints, everything is done in a single gameplay session. Coffee Stain has promised DLC in the form of new maps and addons in the coming months, and strangely enough I'm actually looking forward to all of it.

At the price (under $10) it's hard not to recommend Goat Simulator... it's a fantastic time waster. And if you're lucky enough to catch it really cheap on a Steam sale or bundle, that's all the better.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:03 PM
TROLOLO

Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

I'm just going to copy the Steam review I just posted:

If all you are looking for is a game that's full of AVGN fan service, then this one is it (assuming you can make it through more than one level without throwing your controller at your TV). There are some hilarious nods to just about all of the memorable AVGN characters and events. From a 'sh!t pickle' hidden in each level to unlockable playable characters, each will delight the avid AVGN fan.

Unfortunately that's where it ends.

If you want a game that's fun to play and offers rewards for exploration (the way any good platformer should), then I would probably steer clear of this one. This game goes out of it's way to parody every single BAD platformer the AVGN has ever reviewed, and the end result is an excercise in furious frustration. But it's worse than that, because there are actual design choices that were made that just make the game unbearable.

Example #1: The 'death blocks' - a completely obvious crutch used by the game designer to add artificial difficulty to the game. You'll find these in EVERY. SINGLE. LEVEL. and in the worse possible places. Like floating up the screen a boss battle... they don't even bother to really theme these death blocks for each level either. Just cheap.

Example #2: The 'enemies' pretty much fall into the same few categories and are themed for each level. The generic 'fireball' enemy for instance. In one level it's an actual fireball, in another it's a ghost, in another it's a green plasma ball with a big grinning smiley face plastered on it. It's so obvious it's painful.

The list of re-used and re-skinned enemy types goes on and on...

There are other annoyances with the game as well, like the 'YOU DIED STUPID' screens with the randomized one liner generator. That gets old after the first few times you see it and can't be skipped quickly. And the actual 'GAME OVER' screen doesn't even go so far as to do the random one liner thing - it's just 'YOU SUCK, YOUR WHOLE FAMILY SUCKS' etc.

Thing is, I almost gave it a thumbs up based on the AVGN fan service alone... but when you strip that away you're left with a game that tries and fails to be a good platformer - on purpose.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:02 AM
HERP DERKEN!

So you're saying your adventure in this here video game made you angry, nerd?
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
TROLOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
So you're saying your adventure in this here video game made you angry, nerd?
YES. MUCH ANGER. VERY FRUSTRATE.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Apparently it made you so angry you haven't played a single game since!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 PM
i liek turtles

THAT'S BECAUSE IT WAS A SHIT LOAD OF FUCK

...which is the best phrase out of AVGN by far.
Emerald: i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT DDR3-1866, MSI GeForce GTX 970 100ME, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750