GameBeat Forums  
"Very funny, Scotty... NOW BEAM DOWN MY DAMN UNIFORM!"

Go Back   GameBeat Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Lobby

New User Registration is now OPEN - Come on in!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:49 PM
i liek turtles

I've renewed the SSL certificates for four of my domains. Let's Encrypt is great because it's hella cheap ($0 is hella cheap), but it can get cumbersome if you have lots of domain names and no automation.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 01-09-2019, 05:08 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Is there anything wrong with a lifted station wagon? I don't see the small crossovers costing anymore than pretty much everything else these days...

My vote is always a CR-V or RAV4... but you said no 'yotas....

Steam Profile HERE - Friend me!
Facebook HERE - Friend me!
YouTube HERE and HERE - Friend me!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:28 AM
TROLOLO

Send a message via ICQ to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via AIM to TheGeekRedneck Send a message via Yahoo to TheGeekRedneck

Also, been busting my ass on the house... plus giving the girlfriend (yes, I said that) the attention she needs over whatever Facebook's Facetime equivalent is called.

I may be moving to Kentucky in a few months....

Spent today running electricity up the wall in the front office / play room for the TV that's wall mounted in there, and ran a line from the 25 year old roof antenna that's hanging by string in the attic. I actually used a length of RG6 that was already attached to the antenna and just laying there in the attic, long forgotten in the days of Dish and CATV. TV picked up 80 channels, blew me away the content that's OTA now. Granted, around 25% of those channels are either foreign language, shopping, or religious but still. There was some good shit there. "Buzzer" which is apparently a spin on Game Show Network, but only showing classic game shows. "ion" which we have on Dish and seems to be another TBS / TNT / USA type channel (what we used to call "Superstations" back in the day). TWO channels seemingly devoted to old westerns, I can't remember the name of the first one but the other one was called 'GRIT' and I thought that was a cool name for a TV channel. Other typical OTA stuff like MeTV, MyTV, and of course the four major networks. Hell there was even a HD channel that seemed dedicated to sports.

Now we've been using Dish Network for 20 years and the last time I did a channel scan OTA was around five years ago (mainly for curiosity) and as I recall there were around 30 channels then. Things have come along quite well with local TV apparently - probably due to the boon in cord cutters.

We currently pay like $150 a month for Dish.
We might have to do some serious thinking on this.

Anyway both an electrical outlet and a coax are directly under the wall bracket for the TV, and so they're hidden by the TV once it's on the wall. It's effectively floating now.

I also ran a length of CAT6 from the 'network center' of the house to the same room I was working on the TV setup in - not for the TV, but for the PC below it which is the 'guest / kid's gaming' PC. If I remember right it's a Dell OEM H61 board with an i5-2500 in it. And a random GTX 780 I got off the [H] early in 2018 before the great slab leak disaster.

Also, while I was working near the 'network center' (which is really just a big built-in shelf in the center of the house) I ran an HDMI cable down the same wall from my Onkyo TX-NR515 AVR to a rather ancient (2008-2009 era) Samsung BD-P1600 blu-ray player that sits in a hidden cabinet underneath. I was rather perturbed to discover that said player refuses to connect to the internet. I think it's trying to contact a non-existant server somewhere and disabling the entire ability to do anything network related when that check fails. Which sucks because, as you all should know, some BD movies require regularly updated firmware if not a live connection or they won't play.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Is it possible to have it not even look for an internet connection in the first place?

I mean, if it's just a BR player and not doing anything else, it doesn't "need" the connection.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit
Old 01-09-2019, 06:11 PM
i liek turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
Is there anything wrong with a lifted station wagon? I don't see the small crossovers costing anymore than pretty much everything else these days...

My vote is always a CR-V or RAV4... but you said no 'yotas....
I had a RAV4, but the fuel economy was garbage compared to what they put on the sticker, and it was expensive to maintain from the beginning. I'd give Toyota another chance if they pulled their heads out of their asses and put Android Auto in their vehicles, but at the moment they're pretty much the only ones who don't do it.

Lifted wagons are on average 4-5000 more than their hatchback counterparts. That's just a base-for-base MSRP comparison. I don't quite know what to make of the Subaru Crosstrek versus the Impreza, but that's only about 3 grand more. There's a place in the market for them, and there are millions of people who buy them, but I've found that I prefer driving a smaller, lower car.
Emerald: i7-4930k @stock, Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 RGB, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, 64GB Crucial DDR3, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 2x 6TB WD Red RAID 1, Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition, Corsair AX750

noisybox: i7-2600k @stock, Corsair H50, Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x 8TB WD Red RAID 1, Corsair Carbide 200R, 6x Thermaltake 120mm fans, SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3, Debian 9.5 + Proxmox VE
Old 01-09-2019, 06:15 PM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
Is it possible to have it not even look for an internet connection in the first place?

I mean, if it's just a BR player and not doing anything else, it doesn't "need" the connection.
I've gotten new BR discs that require me to update the software on my player before I can watch them.....

My ideal washing would be a '55 Chevy Nomad but the wife nixed that because it's a 2 door....

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Do or do not, there is no try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1525 ($1000 with sales)
  • Games owned: 358
  • Games played: 124 (34%)
  • Hours on record: 875.6h
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 AM
TROLOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by runt View Post
I've gotten new BR discs that require me to update the software on my player before I can watch them.....
Yeah, that's mainly what I'm getting at...

In fact the last time I watched a BD on that player I had to fetch an update before it would play. They change or update the encryption every once in awhile or something.

I just remembered we have a PS3 sitting in a box somewhere so I may just retire the BD-P1600 and drop the PS3 in it's place. I also have an Xbox 360 that was given to me, but I think most of them came with just DVD drives.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 AM
teh gun geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekRedneck View Post
Yeah, that's mainly what I'm getting at...

In fact the last time I watched a BD on that player I had to fetch an update before it would play. They change or update the encryption every once in awhile or something.

I just remembered we have a PS3 sitting in a box somewhere so I may just retire the BD-P1600 and drop the PS3 in it's place. I also have an Xbox 360 that was given to me, but I think most of them came with just DVD drives.
I know the 360 had a HD-DVD add-on, not sure if it had a BD add-on.

GCS/IT/CM/O d- s+:+ a c++++ B P--- L+ E---- W+++ N o-- K- w+++++ O---- M V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t 5 X-- R- tv+ b+ DI++ D++ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++

Old 01-13-2019, 04:12 PM
i liek turtles

Drinking more coffee.

MORE coffee.

M O R E C O F F E E

There is not enough coffee.

I worked last night ... did a couple p2vs, and upgraded the SAN's OS to the latest. That was a 2-hop operation because the version it was running was 2 years old, and it took 6.5 hours. End result, though, was some additional capacity and a 5x faster rebuild speed, so I suppose it was worth it.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:36 PM
teh gun geek

Just finished running a switched outlet for a garbage disposal and thn re-plumbing for said garbage disposal.