View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

DuckTales: Remastered
I never played the original back on the NES. Most of the "Disney Afternoon" games passed me by; the only one I actually managed to get my adolescent hands on was Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers. So playing this game was less about rekindling my childhood, and more about seeing if the game itself was any good.

What this iteration had going for it was that it was a "shot for shot" remake of the original, all the items would be in the same places, all the maps were the same, enemies, that sort of thing. What was added was updated graphics reminiscent of the cartoon, as well as spoken dialog from the original cartoon's castmembers, and both a tutorial and new final level. The new version also bothered with adding a story to the game, giving actual reasons why Scrooge would be in the various levels and how connected they are with one another and other side characters (and villains). And there's Achievements now, because why not.

Anyway, the game is a pretty straightforward side-scrolling platformer where you generally Never Stop Pogoing Ever (except the last level), and it's pretty fun. There definitely was some nostalgia there hearing the voices from the cartoon, but Scrooge was the one doing most of the talking, so if he wasn't your favorite character, then you didn't get much. Regardless though, I enjoyed playing it (unless I was getting frustrated with something specific like the endgame boss), but I think it works in limited doses better than trying to barrel through the game in one fell swoop.

So yeah, pick it up if you haven't yet, and if you have, play it already. And ignore the Achievements, those are silly.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit