View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 12:08 PM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Not even going to spoiler tag this, because it'd have to be almost the whole thing. Probably. So consider this your warning, if you care about that sort of thing.

Spec Ops: The Line
This is a short game. ~7 hours for the entire story (as well as playing through the multiple endings) and grabbing all the collectibles. Gameplay is kind of crappy, and the AI is... well, just bump it down to the lowest difficulty (unless you need those cheevos) and go ham. It's a generic third-person shooter with regenerating health and kind of a shortage of ammo. Well, right up until it isn't, I suppose.

And it isn't... well, there's breadcrumbs along the way that you can miss, but the hammer doesn't really come out until the end, which is where it decidedly drops on your face. It's a nice hammer, really high quality wood handle, and just a block of the nicest heavy alloy you can get.

I liked the way they handled said hammer drop as well, unfortunately the gameplay is just that atrocious. Like, there was a scene early on where you have to use White Phosphorus and the fallout of that scene is supposed to be horrific (because that stuff is straight up horrific) and all I could feel was relieved that I didn't have to be engaged in a gun battle anymore. This is not the way to do things.

I liked the ending though, because while it is decidedly not a happy ending, (and there are multiple endings, so choose your own adventure!) it fits the tone of the game and feels earned instead of say, a Deus Ex Machina out of nowhere. I'd recommend the game, but maybe put aside some time to sit and think about it afterwards.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit