View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

I never got into the Assassin's Creed games for one reason or another, but Ubisoft put this one up for free on Uplay, and I love some free pirate booty.

This game is fuckin' fun as hell. It's less "holy shit a war between Assassins and Templars" and more "holy shit this dude is a badass pirate and fell ass-backwards into being an Assassin." Yes, there is a story there, but for the most part it's Edward Kenway being a pirate and doing piratey things like raiding ships, blowing up forts, and getting his men to sing sea shanties while they sail all over the Caribbean. It's a collect-athon, like most/all Ubisoft games are, but when I get to use a goddamned pirate ship to get there, that takes a bit of the sting out of it. Also, the ship is customizable, you can raise your own fleet, and even go harpooning for very large sea creatures if you're so inclined.

And while I don't have much to say about the story at this point, that's more because I have not gotten very far into it (I think), and can't really vouch for that. What I have played has been enjoyable, especially since parts of it are historically accurate (like the hurricane you have to sail through in the beginning) as well as the cast of characters you get to interact with like Blackbeard and Benjamin Hornigold. I get the feeling that Edward's pirate antics are going to come to a head in the late-game though, based on the fact that people are starting to call him on his bullshit re: Being an Assassin, and the fact that one of the plot threads is a "we need to kill all the pirates" kind of thing by the governments (The British and Spanish Monarchies) in power.

So yeah, unless this game totally shits the bed at the end, I'm gonna go ahead and say everyone should pick this one up.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit