View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 AM
HERP DERKEN!

Send a message via AIM to Sorce

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
What is it with companies and making standalone DLC? Why call it DLC at that point, instead of a whole new game?

Anyway, this is a direct prequel to Wolfenstein: The New Order, without the base game as a framing device (like in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel). What that means is you can totally play it before the "base game", and lose nothing in the process. Minor spoiler, the entire point of the DLC is to get the location of Deathshead, the killing of whom is the first mission in the main game.

The mechanics are largely the same, with the weapons being slightly different but visually similar. There's more of an emphasis on using the melee weapon you get early on (a broken pipe) to climb walls, open jammed doors, as well as dual-wielding for silent takedowns. There's even the entire Wolfenstein 3D game buried in there (including boss fights), with one level per chapter hidden in a secret area.

Of course, since this is a (modern) Wolfenstein game, B.J. gets some emotions and character interactions with people, which isn't a bad thing. The only real complaint I have about it is it veers a little more into the mystical than the base game (more similar to previous games in the franchise), but it does have bits and bobs that hint at what ends up being a point in The New Order. Also, they really like setting the player at the base of a hill, with Nazis all over it and telling them to get to the top without being seen.

One last thing, the game also has a decision in the game similar to the one at the beginning of The New Order, but it doesn't have the same effect. Like, there isn't a timeline change, you just see the results of it at the end. And of course, since this is a prequel, it doesn't effect the base game at all.

Overall, I liked the game, but I don't think I'll be replaying it any time soon. The aforementioned choice doesn't really change anything, and there's not enough in the game otherwise (collectible/achievement hunting aside) to get me to come back.
Phong: ASRock H97M-ITXac Motherboard//Intel Core i7-4790K Processor @ 4.0GHz//16GB G.Skill PC3-12800//MSI nVidia GTX 970//Onboard 7.1 Sound//Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD//Lite-On DVD-RW//Generic Mid-Tower Case//24" Asus VH242H and 20" HP w2007 Monitors//Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Tomato: Acer C7 Chromebook//Intel Celeron 847 @1.1GHz//6GB PC3-12800//Intel HD2000 Graphics//Onboard Sound//Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD//11.6" Widescreen//ChromeOS 51 64-Bit